Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Says: Freeney And Mathis Will Be Back

oldunclemark

This was also a quote from the INDY STAR

Good to hear...

"The Colts also might consider extending the contract of defensive end Dwight Freeney. He'll be in the last year of his contract in 2012 and count more than $19 million against the salary cap. An extension would lower his cap hit.

"That's something you can consider," Irsay said. "You don't always know if it's possible with one year left. But no question about it, when you look at where we are with the cap. Even if you look at making some significant roster changes to help the situation some, you're still at a difficult point with the cap."

Irsay made clear the Freeney-Mathis tandem will remain a defensive cornerstone under new coach Chuck Pagano.

"With Freeney and Mathis," Irsay said, "that's something that's a big part of your greatness and excellence on defense.""

FJC....

The operative phrase is "Irsay made clear the Freeny-Mathis tandem will remain"

You doubt this.?

I see it as an opinion and not a fact. It's an opinion I share, but I wouldn't call it a fact.

Irsay didn't state what you said he did, thus making it misleading, the writer was the one that used the term "will remain".

That is one reason i prefer transcripts over reporter generated spin.

I see it as an opinion and not a fact. It's an opinion I share, but I wouldn't call it a fact.

Irsay didn't state what you said he did, thus making it misleading, the writer was the one that used the term "will remain".

That is one reason i prefer transcripts over reporter generated spin.

FJC..

I think you'r earguing for the sake of arguement here....His quote was

"With Freeney and Mathis," Irsay said, "that's something that's a big part of your greatness and excellence on defense.""

Its his dime. He can make it happen.

He can franchise Mathis and Freeny is already under contract....

It is what it is......You can accept it.

FJC..

I think you'r earguing for the sake of arguement here....His quote was

Its his dime. He can make it happen.

He can franchise Mathis and Freeny is already under contract....

It is what it is......You can accept it.

What can happen, and what will likely happen doesn't change the fact that it hasn't happened.

Thus making the thread title misleading.

Yes he can make it happen, he might make it happen, but it hasn't happened yet.

What can happen, and what will likely happen doesn't change the fact that it hasn't happened.

Might he be waiting until the new NFL year begins..?

He told Mathis befor elats year he'd take care of him...

I want them back and it sounds good to me...I'm being optimistic

If you sign Mathis you can franchise Pierre or Reggie Wayne...(they wont like it but you could)

I think we've alreday established it would cost less to franhcise a WR than a DE...

Freeney and Mathis will be back...Book it! (Or Bookend it!)

Why do you continue to do this.

"That's something you can consider," is far from saying they will be back. You continue to mislead people.

I don't think that he is trying to mislead people with his topic title... He just thought that we are bringing both back. Because obviously irsay wants to do everything possible for both to say even if it means making new deals with other players. Irsay knows how to work the cap. What I see him saying is he wants them to return but of they don't like the deal then there's not much he can do. But he will do all he can. Chilaxx Cleveland.

I don't think that he is trying to mislead people with his topic title... He just thought that we are bringing both back. Because obviously irsay wants to do everything possible for both to say even if it means making new deals with other players. Irsay knows how to work the cap. What I see him saying is he wants them to return but of they don't like the deal then there's not much he can do. But he will do all he can. Chilaxx Cleveland.

If this were his only thread title like this, then you might have a point. It's not.

Franchising Mathis would not be an intelligent move, would it? I would think that the franchise tag for a DE would be pretty expensive. Freeney is already a top-level price tag.

It is...expensive..Viri.....but less so than a multi-year deal....

..and the Mannng 'cash money crisis' may be resolved in a year

This topic title is 100% misleading. This Irsay quote is a non-story.

All he's saying is: If Freeney and Mathis are on the same team, they are a big reason why that defense would be excellent.

No lo comprende.....plague man..

Irsay says they are a part of the greatness.....

.and rememeber..Freeney is already under contract...so my post can only be 50% misleading ....max

Why do you continue to do this.

I agree it's very misleading at times. My initial thoughts upon reading the title was that Irsay flat out said he was resigning them, which is untrue of course

"That's something you can consider," is far from saying they will be back. You continue to mislead people.

If you sign Mathis you can franchise Pierre or Reggie Wayne...(they wont like it but you could)

I think we've alreday established it would cost less to franhcise a WR than a DE...

All FJC Is saying is this isnt a fact, it's Jim Irsay being Jim Irsay. Saying something or giving hints toward something. Doesnt mean its a fact or it will happen. These treads can be very misleading at times. Thats all FJC is saying IMO

Hearing the word will is an obvious fact for me, im sure its like 3yr deals for both of them... seeing those guys in 3-4 defenses will definitely be something.. i would rather hughes on the field than wheeler

Hughes? He simply has not demonstrated any ability to play defense in the NFL. I don't believe he will even make the team this year. The Colts tried to trade him last year and no other team was interested in trying to acquire his services.

Don't if I blame the OP for this or the media in general. They always do this with misleading headlines. I don't know why people are always in such a hurry to declare something, especially when it's based on an at best vague inference from Irsay that he wants to keep them both. He didn't say they "will be back," as the title of the thread suggests.

Unc...you're a good man but you get too excited ...jumping to reach conclusions that line up with what you personally want to see happen. Calm down dude! :excited: (unc)

:lol: (coltsman)

Hughes? He simply has not demonstrated any ability to play defense in the NFL. I don't believe he will even make the team this year. The Colts tried to trade him last year and no other team was interested in trying to acquire his services.

People have this idea that Hughes was a linebacker in college and we tried to convert him to an end, so they think he'll be great as an outside linebacker in a 3-4. It was actually the other way around: he was an end in college, and the pre-draft projection was that he'd be converted to outside linebacker in the NFL because of his size. A lot of the same was said about Freeney and Mathis, as a matter of fact.

I personally think he has the tools to be a better linebacker than end in the NFL, so long as he's rushing the passer most of the time, so I could see him making the team. And I would disagree with the idea that he hasn't demonstrated any ability to play in the NFL. He actually has been disruptive in the little bit of time he's gotten. I'm not promoting him as the next best thing, and he was obviously not the right pick for us, but I'm holding out hope that he can produce in a different scheme. It would make for a really good pass rushing tandem if we hold onto Mathis and Wheeler (both free agents), pair them with Freeney and Hughes (who are still under contract), and use a flexible defensive front. We've been looking for depth with our pass rushers, and if successful, that would give us great depth and versatility.

I agree he hasnt shown anything but im guessing he'll still be on the team simply based off the fact theyll need depth at OLB.

More than likely the team will be addressing other pressing needs in the draft (NT, G, WR, SS, C, SILB, CB) and there wont be much money to spend on FAs if they try to keep guys here.

The kid obviously isnt a good fit at 4-3 DE but he is certainly atheltic and worth giving a look at OLB in the 3-4 front.

"that's something that's a big part of your greatness and excellence on defense.""

... ... ...

... ... ... ...

... ... ... ... ...

I must have missed the part of the past 20 seasons where our defense played great/excellent aside from the 2006 playoffs. Also the occasional Cleveland Brown game here or there.

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. We have several, and the D is a big one. While I agree Freeney is the best player on our D, and Mathis is right behind him, our defense is putrid. The sooner we ditch the Tampa 2, the better. Good to have Freeney and Mathis for the transition phase, though.

More than likely the team will be addressing other pressing needs in the draft (NT, G, WR, SS, C, SILB, CB)

Nose tackle (now that we're looking to change the defense drastically) corner(s), guard, receiver, center.

Safety if we can, but we really missed the boat on some good safeties in the draft last year (Chris Conte, Quinton Carter, Tyler Sash), and Donte Whitner (should have let Addai walk and beat SF's offer). I like Lefeged, but he didn't produce very much in his split time this season, so an upgrade would be good.

I think, if we keep Mathis and Wheeler, we'd be set at linebacker. Maybe need some depth behind Conner and Angerer, but they should be entrenched as starters in whatever scheme we use.

FJC....

The operative phrase is "Irsay made clear the Freeny-Mathis tandem will remain"

You doubt this.?

It is highly doubtable right now. I trust nothing that anyone says right now.

Let's say Irsay wants to retain both but I think it is very fair to say that for players of their age, wouldn't the contracts have to be team friendly? What if Mathis does not want to sign a team friendly deal and prefers to see what his value is on the open market? Same thing with Freeney's contract extension - it has to be team friendly.

Jerry Huges has everything it takes to play defense in the NFL... i shouldnt have even addressed that because that made no sense what so ever.. the colts didnt even give hughes much playing time, and this isnt the first time the colts have done that... they did that with fili moala his rookie year. I believe firmly that not only will hughes be back on this team but he will be an impact player.

Guys who doubted him like BP and Caldwell are gone so he's definitely gonna get his playing time.