Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

James Starks

oldunclemark

Lacy is free agent, so no need to cut him.

Starks turns 31, had injuries and averaged 2.3 yards per run on 63 carries. Pretty good chance he's done.

He only has 618 carries, along with 125 catches so he doesn't have as much mileage on him as typical 31 yr old RB but last season was pretty damn ugly for him.

The shelf life of running backs n the NFL appears to run out at around 30 years of age these days.  And word is, it keeps going incrementally lower...

Expect even AP to be cut (due 18 million at 31 y/o).  His production will not match that cost.  Folks picking him up would be wise to sign  him to incentive driven contract, not a big number with huge guarantees.

11 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

The shelf life of running backs n the NFL appears to run out at around 30 years of age these days.  And word is, it keeps going incrementally lower...

Expect even AP to be cut (due 18 million at 31 y/o).  His production will not match that cost.  Folks picking him up would be wise to sign  him to incentive driven contract, not a big number with huge guarantees.

Adrian Peterson wants to play for Dallas but I dont think Dallas needs him

...I think he'll stay up north on a reduced deal

On 2/8/2017 at 7:32 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Unless you're Frank Gore 

When you get one of the best on his decline, there is some money, but even Gore was getting 4.5 million in 2015, 4 million this past season, and due 3.5 million next.  Low (for him) and dropping.  AP was getting 11 million plus for years.  I think he won't get it next year, get cut and sign to within eyesight of what Gore is getting for 2017. 

22 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Adrian Peterson wants to play for Dallas but I dont think Dallas needs him

...I think he'll stay up north on a reduced deal

Dallas has Alfred Morris as their backup, who is productive enough and probably much less expensive. 

Just one of the many many cuts we will see before march. The free agent list is going to expand quite a bit before we see a lot of guys tagged or retained. I'd say when GB let's a guy go they are probably done. They do a great job evaluating. Him and shields are likely retiring....but some teams will have to make some cap decisions and some of them we may want to look at.

I wouldn't touch Starks or Lacey with a 39 n a half foot horseshoe guys. If Gore still wants to play I would stick with him and grab whatever young RBs are available during that good undrafted guys hanging around week (in other words not spend a draft pick). Gore is by far the best older RB in the NFL. If he isn't feeling it come July though I would draft a RB.

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

I wouldn't touch Starks or Lacey with a 39 n a half foot horseshoe guys. If Gore still wants to play I would stick with him and grab whatever young RBs are available during that good undrafted guys hanging around week (in other words not spend a draft pick). Gore is by far the best older RB in the NFL. If he isn't feeling it come July though I would draft a RB.

A little late to draft one if he isn't feeling it in July