Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike McCoy

oldunclemark

The only surprise in this was that they pulled the trigger today and not tomorrow.  I think Mike McCoy did a lot of good for the Chargers culture.  He ran hard, fast practices and the team's speed and toughness improved a lot.  The injuries were insane.  I don't think Bill Belicheck could have won with 20 mostly top players on IR. 

However, the way we lost games, the stupid mistakes, repeatedly stupid mistakes, not finishing games - that's reflective of coaching.    I HATE coaching merry-go-rounds, I hope we get a good coach and stick with them...

4 minutes ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

The only surprise in this was that they pulled the trigger today and not tomorrow.  I think Mike McCoy did a lot of good for the Chargers culture.  He ran hard, fast practices and the team's speed and toughness improved a lot.  The injuries were insane.  I don't think Bill Belicheck could have won with 20 mostly top players on IR. 

However, the way we lost games, the stupid mistakes, repeatedly stupid mistakes, not finishing games - that's reflective of coaching.    I HATE coaching merry-go-rounds, I hope we get a good coach and stick with them...

I think your team, my team = Colts, and the Saints all could've easily had 10 or 11 wins. All 3 of those teams lost several games in the most goofy ways.

The last few weeks I've needed to print out the roster list - we had two running backs in the last couple weeks that weren't even on our practice squad this summer.  Same with WR.  Lost 3 O-line guys today.  Rivers was limited in play calling due to the incredible inexperience, "hand off right" and "hand off left" was about it at RB.  He was directing virtually every position on the field.  *deep sigh*

I barely watched any football this year, so I think I only saw the Colts once and didn't even see N.O.

Who do you think would be a good coach for us?  Special teams coach should have been fired before the end of the season - pitiful performance.

3 hours ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

The last few weeks I've needed to print out the roster list - we had two running backs in the last couple weeks that weren't even on our practice squad this summer.  Same with WR.  Lost 3 O-line guys today.  Rivers was limited in play calling due to the incredible inexperience, "hand off right" and "hand off left" was about it at RB.  He was directing virtually every position on the field.  *deep sigh*

I barely watched any football this year, so I think I only saw the Colts once and didn't even see N.O.

Who do you think would be a good coach for us?  Special teams coach should have been fired before the end of the season - pitiful performance.

i am jim bob cotter fan would be a good fit  

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

Hire another one?! Good God no one Pagano is hard enough to get rid of. What the hell are you thinking.

Good defensive co-ordinator.....we need one...obviously...

Don't get carried away...with this Chuck Pagano thing...

..he's staying......bring in a good vet DC.....we gave up a LOT of yards..

Just now, oldunclemark said:

Yes cause chuck has shown he's great at building a D :wall:

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Yes, keep blaming the DC.  The talent level on defense is putrid.

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think your team, my team = Colts, and the Saints all could've easily had 10 or 11 wins. All 3 of those teams lost several games in the most goofy ways.

The Colts lost those games because they aren't very good. The Colts were closer to a 5 win team than an 11 win team. Talent is the key. The coaching staff gets all of the blame but there just isn't enough talent.

12 hours ago, Andretoindy said:

i am jim bob cotter fan would be a good fit  

His name is being tossed around quite a bit on the Chargers' forum.  

The other name being tossed around was this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/02/chargers-ask-for-permission-to-speak-to-matt-patricia/

I wonder if the Chargers are thinking about promoting Pagano to head coach.  The only thing that worked consistently was our D.  They played hard, were incredibly affective until the injury toll became too much.  Even the young guns were doing their jobs well and stepping "next man up."

19 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

True but cm he can't coach D players up worth a damn either 

I don't think that is clear. There is a real talent void there and he had nothing to do with that. He was always known as a defense first coach. The coach can't pass rush or stop the run game without the right players.

5 hours ago, BOTT said:

Yes, keep blaming the DC.  The talent level on defense is putrid.

Im not blaming the coordinator..

talent and ..and injuries hurt us....but I dodnt care about blame

.. I've always thought SD's defenses confused top QBs..

..the players we have next year on 'D' wont be the ones we have now..

John Pagano is a very good defensive coordinator....and he obviously could get along with the head man.

Folks have to face that Chuck Pagano isn't going anywhere nor (with no losing seasons) should he

1 hour ago, Bigbadbill said:

I don't think that is clear. There is a real talent void there and he had nothing to do with that. He was always known as a defense first coach. The coach can't pass rush or stop the run game without the right players.

He also doesn't even have the team ready to play at the start of the game he's done this all 5 years he's been here that is a big red flag there is no excuse that can be used to support Pagano

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Im not blaming the coordinator..

talent and ..and injuries hurt us....but I dodnt care about blame

.. I've always thought SD's defenses confused top QBs..

..the players we have next year on 'D' wont be the ones we have now..

John Pagano is a very good defensive coordinator....and he obviously could get along with the head man.

Folks have to face that Chuck Pagano isn't going anywhere nor (with no losing seasons) should he

He's fine, nothing special.  If you want to hit a home run, Wade Phillips' contract is up.

6 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

The Paganos are nothing like the Ryans..

.....cant not hire someone because of who his brother is, right?

Was just a joke. Agreed, hire the best guy you can get, no matter who it is. I would have much preferred an experienced John P as opposed to another rookie at his position such as Monachino.

3 hours ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

Bringing this back to the Charger's head coaching replacement.  In addition to the Patriot's Matt Patricia, they have requested permission to interview KC's special team's coach, Dave Taub and the Dolphins Vance Joseph.

The Dave Taub angle is very interesting due to the success of John Harbaugh with the Ravens, who was a former ST coach as well.

18 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The Dave Taub angle is very interesting due to the success of John Harbaugh with the Ravens, who was a former ST coach as well.

Our special teams have absolutely SUCKED for 4 or 5 years.  We had fantastic Special teams play for years prior to that and man does it make a difference.  I don't really have an opinion on the coaches.  I don't feel I know enough to have one, I just hope they make a good choice.  This is River's last rodeo, we have to make it count.

6 minutes ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

Our special teams have absolutely SUCKED for 4 or 5 years.  We had fantastic Special teams play for years prior to that and man does it make a difference.  I don't really have an opinion on the coaches.  I don't feel I know enough to have one, I just hope they make a good choice.  This is River's last rodeo, we have to make it count.

How many more years is he expected to play? Has he talked about it?

I hope he wins a SB before he retires. 

31 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

How many more years is he expected to play? Has he talked about it?

I hope he wins a SB before he retires. 

Thanks :-)  You know how I feel about it!  He is a really special player, leader and person.  I think he has 3 years left on his contract.  He said "the handful of years I have left" in an interview yesterday and it brought tears to my eyes.

I read an article on NFL.com today that posited that he was in the start of a fade because of the past 2 or 3 years and how he played 1st half of the season vs. 2nd half.  I always try to be really honest in my appraisals, so I thought hard about that all day long.  I don't believe it to be so and here's why.

3 years ago we were 5-1 to start the season and the first game loss should have been a win, we lost by a point.  Rivers was throwing with the best accuracy ever, an incredible amount of yardage and right in the center of the MVP discussion.  Then mass offensive injuries hit.  His weapons went down left and right.  He himself was hurt (but will never admit to such) his center said he was hurt really badly and still playing.  He almost considered retiring at the end of that year as his back hurt so badly.

2 years ago we went through 5 or 6 centers and 20+ O-line combinations along with losing our RBs and WRs.  This year we lost all of our top weapons on O and many on D.  They went from playing full speed to instant IR, almost no one came back from injuries this year.  We started laughing (gallows humor) that we didn't even know the name or anything about the number 6 and number 7 starting RBs in our last 2 games.  Had to look up the WRs.  River's record number of picks had more to do with the lack of connection with new players than anything else.  They turned left instead of right, didn't fight back for the ball or just weren't good enough and didn't know how to make plays. 

NO EXCUSES - this has been our reality.  Rivers can run the most complicated offense, can run no huddle, up tempo, slow tempo - absolutely anything... as long as he has people that know the system.  The last half of the past 2 years he was directing every single position on the field each play.  At some point this year the no huddle stopped happening because the people on the field hadn't been on the team long enough to run it.  The last two games this year we were down to "hand off left"  and "hand off right" with the RBs. 

Good grief - wrote a book!

1 hour ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

Thanks :-)  You know how I feel about it!  He is a really special player, leader and person.  I think he has 3 years left on his contract.  He said "the handful of years I have left" in an interview yesterday and it brought tears to my eyes.

I read an article on NFL.com today that posited that he was in the start of a fade because of the past 2 or 3 years and how he played 1st half of the season vs. 2nd half.  I always try to be really honest in my appraisals, so I thought hard about that all day long.  I don't believe it to be so and here's why.

3 years ago we were 5-1 to start the season and the first game loss should have been a win, we lost by a point.  Rivers was throwing with the best accuracy ever, an incredible amount of yardage and right in the center of the MVP discussion.  Then mass offensive injuries hit.  His weapons went down left and right.  He himself was hurt (but will never admit to such) his center said he was hurt really badly and still playing.  He almost considered retiring at the end of that year as his back hurt so badly.

2 years ago we went through 5 or 6 centers and 20+ O-line combinations along with losing our RBs and WRs.  This year we lost all of our top weapons on O and many on D.  They went from playing full speed to instant IR, almost no one came back from injuries this year.  We started laughing (gallows humor) that we didn't even know the name or anything about the number 6 and number 7 starting RBs in our last 2 games.  Had to look up the WRs.  River's record number of picks had more to do with the lack of connection with new players than anything else.  They turned left instead of right, didn't fight back for the ball or just weren't good enough and didn't know how to make plays. 

NO EXCUSES - this has been our reality.  Rivers can run the most complicated offense, can run no huddle, up tempo, slow tempo - absolutely anything... as long as he has people that know the system.  The last half of the past 2 years he was directing every single position on the field each play.  At some point this year the no huddle stopped happening because the people on the field hadn't been on the team long enough to run it.  The last two games this year we were down to "hand off left"  and "hand off right" with the RBs. 

Good grief - wrote a book!

Thanks for that. You don't have to convince me. I am a huge fan of Rivers since his days at NC State. He is a great player and a leader. I wanted the Vikings to trade for him when we lost Bridgewater before the season but I knew that would never happen. He deserves to finish his career with the Chargers. A Super Bowl win would solidify his place in Canton. I hope that happens.