Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We trade our draft pick:2 Scenarios

turner46992

Manning more than likely will not be coming back and almost everyone thinks we should get luck. But what if:

We trade our draft pick to someone for more draft picks and build a stronger defense, release players like Brackett and whoever else. Then as for our qb option, get Drew Brees from Free Agency, Its a stretch I know but Hey, any thing seems possible. Have a stronger defense and a High Power Qb. could probably use some draft picks to help build where ever we are weak

-OR-

Trade our pick again for more picks build a stronger D still and pick up Matt Flynn. He is a cheaper option, not to old(I dont think) and he seems to be ready to start.

Brees is good/great...but he's no spring chicken either. If we play a QB not named Manning it should be for the long term future. Brees would not be that.

Yeah I am aware of that as well, but isnt there a guy that everyone was hyped up about for this years draft that said he isnt entering till next year, if we had drew and a better d, do we have a chance at getting a qb next year?

Manning more than likely will not be coming back and almost everyone thinks we should get luck. But what if:

We trade our draft pick to someone for more draft picks and build a stronger defense, release players like Brackett and whoever else. Then as for our qb option, get Drew Brees from Free Agency, Its a stretch I know but Hey, any thing seems possible. Have a stronger defense and a High Power Qb. could probably use some draft picks to help build where ever we are weak

-OR-

Trade our pick again for more picks build a stronger D still and pick up Matt Flynn. He is a cheaper option, not to old(I dont think) and he seems to be ready to start.

Fair options.

A ) The Saints with franchise Brees before the let him go. That's a given.

B ) I wouldn't trust putting a huge investment into Matt Flynn absent a west coast offense being installed and Arians isn't well-versed in the WCO like other coaches are. It would remind me a bit of Kevin Kolb getting big money and going out to Arizona and not quite living up to the contract. Yeah it's only one year so far for him and it he was injured, but the only way I would want any part of Flynn would be in the WCO and that won't be happening.

If we had hired a coach with a WCO offensive background, or an OC with that, then Matt Flynn would be a great pick up, and moving the pick would be a great move to build a solid team around a solid offensive system and a defense.

An offensive system that isn't as dependent on the QB like we have run with Manning and one that we will likely try to employee with Luck, which will put us back where we are. A play away from struggling with a QB that can't fully work in the system.

Fair options.

A ) The Saints with franchise Brees before the let him go. That's a given.

B ) I wouldn't trust putting a huge investment into Matt Flynn absent a west coast offense being installed and Arians isn't well-versed in the WCO like other coaches are. It would remind me a bit of Kevin Kolb getting big money and going out to Arizona and not quite living up to the contract. Yeah it's only one year so far for him and it he was injured, but the only way I would want any part of Flynn would be in the WCO and that won't be happening.

yeah true, I didnt even think about the style of offense we would run with him, or the style he is use to. but I like the Kolb comparision, lol but Yeah it was a thought and I felt a pretty good one until you look at the whole picture

-OR-

Im sorry but its hard to find franchise QBs. Look at the Ravens or 49ers. Both elite defenses, great offensive lines, and dominate running games and it eventually comes down to the QB. If we lock up Luck then we can build up a beast defense.

in an ideal world, Peyton would be healthy and win back to back super bowls and then retire as the G.O.A.T. and Luck would take over right where he left off...

But i would rather have Luck than Flynn, i think he has more potential/upside and is younger...and if worse comes to worse and we're bad again next year, we will have another 7 draft picks to help the team...much like the year we drafted Peyton and the following year when we drafted Edge.

I have no illusions that it will go as well this time as last time, but i do think we have a good shot at it turning out very well...and personally i think we have more pieces to build around now than we did back then.

Manning more than likely will not be coming back.....

Start over. That statement is more than likely a bad guess. I was happy to finally hear someone talk about Manning's rehab today. Mort on NFL32, said Peyton is throwing/working hard every day and fully expects him to play again. Seemed particularly annoyed by those who say Peyton shouldn't play because a hit could paralyze him or something. Peyton is not facing an increased risk of spinal injury. He has a nerve that needs to regenerate and it does so very slowly. The Colts have a bet to place on March 7th. Sign him and risk a large cap hit if the nerve fails to regenerate, or cut him and watch Luck get fed to the wolves with no mentor while Peyton continues to play like everyone else who's had he surgery does.

Start over. That statement is more than likely a bad guess. I was happy to finally hear someone talk about Manning's rehab today. Mort on NFL32, said Peyton is throwing/working hard every day and fully expects him to play again. Seemed particularly annoyed by those who say Peyton shouldn't play because a hit could paralyze him or something. Peyton is not facing an increased risk of spinal injury. He has a nerve that needs to regenerate and it does so very slowly. The Colts have a bet to place on March 7th. Sign him and risk a large cap hit if the nerve fails to regenerate, or cut him and watch Luck get fed to the wolves with no mentor while Peyton continues to play like everyone else who's had he surgery does.

and according to two sources that foxsports and yahoo sports talked to (sources being NFL Doctors) is that manning is more then likely going to retire. saying since he started throwing he cant get his velocity back and it hasnt increased even just a bit.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/peyton-manning-indianapolis-colts-neck-injury-slow-progress-may-never-play-again-013012

Under your scenario....

The thought of acquiring Flynn only makes sense if you feel Manning is eventually going to return...

Flynn could lead you to the playiffs in 2012...and could back up if manning for a couple of years in Peyton recovers.

soemthing Luck probably cannot or would not want to do...

But if there's no indication Manning can return...Andew Luck would be the best choice..for eventual success

and according to two sources that foxsports and yahoo sports talked to (sources being NFL Doctors) is that manning is more then likely going to retire. saying since he started throwing he cant get his velocity back and it hasnt increased even just a bit.

http://msn.foxsports...ay-again-013012

..Peyton Manning wont retire just 5 months after surgery...that makes no sense...

He'd wait until next summer ot see if his arm strength returns.. Irsay could still sign him and draft Luck as he has always suggested he will.

Or release him and sign him to a much smaller contract to put him on the DL and mentor Luck

If (rather when) they draft Luck, assuming he pans out, they are most likely set on the QB postion for the next 10-15 years.

As such, they can start to focus on other positions of need and not spend a high pick on a QB again for a long time.

If Luck is the QB, they likely will end up with another high draft pick in 2013 so hopefully over the 2012 / 2013 drafts they can find a few good young players to grow with Luck and build a nice foundation for the future.

Why are people so against Luck? I seriously don't get it. We were 2-14 last year, we played bad enough to get the best pick in the draft, let's use it to get the best player! If we were certain PM is going to be healthy by March 8th, then I could see how trading the pick would be an option, but all signs point to him not being healthy by then.