Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What is really misssing?

Jact.stark

After think over and over, i had an idea what is missing, 

1. The freaking running game, there's why:
      1. 1.- If the CB know that there's a pass coming they are gonna just focus on his man and forget about tackling, so the Safeties are looking for the pass first then they know they can give some slack to the RB because he won't break for a 45 yards gain.
      2. 2.- But we have Frank Gore and he is running 3.8yds per carry, but he isn't explosive, so again see 1, if you know that his RB is just gonna run for 3-4 yrds you can focus on cover.
      3. 3.- Our defense i think they play hard at the beginning of the games then they fall apart because they are exhausted, because we can't sustain long drives.
      5.  Take a look to the Seattle Seahawks they don't have a really good O Line but they make sure the defense is looking for the run, then they go for a big gain with the PA and their WR.
        1. There's no complete team in the NFL there are teams that have really good pieces on place but they aren't perfect, take a look to NE they don't have their main thread but still manage to win games, they traded their best OLB but they are fine why?

Because they play their strengths and why the Colts can't do that?

Because everybody know that the   strength of the Colts is Luck and TY, and they play 1 and 2, because they know that 3 is gonna happen.

I would take Dalvin Cook with the first pick because we already have an average O-Line and of course we need a OLB that can get to the QB but even if we get the next Von Miller they just have to go again 1,2,3.

And then again i don't trust the staff to evaluate the OLB talent because there's not a single player that is developing in that position, most of the sacks had come from the DL, so if we take the first pick as the most likely to develop i would take the best RB and make the defense think twice about putting extra help with our WR, and then take the best RAW talent available(OLB).

I would let Pagano and Grigs another year because i don't like the current HC material available.

I'm sorry to say that the running game is not really that big of a deal in the NFL anymore.  Its more of a counter play to a threatening and successful passing game.  You can build a team to have a dominate defense, but that makes little sense after you pay a QB $100 million. We'll see how well Seattle does with the rich QB.  

Our passing game is not what it should be for a number of reasons. Probably problem number one is that the coaching staff seems to still be stuck in the slow paced run-first mentality, combined with not much defense and a $100 million QB.  

The program is a cluster of incongruous ideas.

I agree with you 100%.  We are going to have a chance to draft one of the top running backs in the draft and we should do it for all of the reasons you mentioned.  People underestimate the importance of having a top running back because all of the experts try to minimize the importance of the position and they are way off base IMO.  All of the SB champions have the ability to run the ball extremely well.  That's what keeps defenses honest.  It's a weak pass rush class anyway.  It's a big position of need for us and we may as well take advantage of this position just like the Cowboys did last year.  We can address the linebacker positions in FA.  There are a lot of good young players that will hit FA.  Assuming we get a couple of starters on defense in FA I'm all in on taking a RB if he is the BPA in our positions of need and RB is one of those.  I want a starter with the first pick and a new RB would be great. 

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I agree with you 100%.  We are going to have a chance to draft one of the top running backs in the draft and we should do it for all of the reasons you mentioned.  People underestimate the importance of having a top running back because all of the experts try to minimize the importance of the position and they are way off base IMO.  All of the SB champions have the ability to run the ball extremely well.  That's what keeps defenses honest.  It's a weak pass rush class anyway.  It's a big position of need for us and we may as well take advantage of this position just like the Cowboys did last year.  We can address the linebacker positions in FA.  There are a lot of good young players that will hit FA.  Assuming we get a couple of starters on defense in FA I'm all in on taking a RB if he is the BPA in our positions of need and RB is one of those.  I want a starter with the first pick and a new RB would be great. 

I really wouldn't be opposed to a stud RB in the first, if he is truly threatening enough to make defenses honest.  I just don't think they exist anymore.

And if they are, it doesn't take long for them to want out of their rookie deal and get their money while they are still healthy.  Frankly, I don't blame them.

I think it's better coaching. We need to practice better fundamentals in regards to catching, tackling, and yes, play-calling. No more fancy HB slip screens on 4th & 1. We're overthinking ourselves on these plays, just like we did on that Patriots fake punt call.

2 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

A defense is what's missing. It's been missing for over a decade now.

Yep.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What is really missing is the same as what some of us said was missing at the start of the season.....

Talent.

Our roster is just not talented enough.

Yep.

2 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I think it's better coaching. We need to practice better fundamentals in regards to catching, tackling, and yes, play-calling. No more fancy HB slip screens on 4th & 1. We're overthinking ourselves on these plays, just like we did on that Patriots fake punt call.

Yep.