Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Surgery And Time Is Very Similar To Peytons

unitaswestand

I don't know if this is helpful to anyone, but I had the same surgery Peyton had on Sept 29th, 2011, except on my lower back. Right now my left leg is numb from the kneecap down, aches, and is about 30% weaker than my right leg.

The important part, which I think could relate to Peyton, is that NOBODY can tell me if and when my left leg will get it's strength back. I could wake up tomorrow and it could be fine, four months from now, or maybe never. This kind of goes with that kind of surgery. When you have had nerves touched or crushed, there is really no way to tell. I have to workout five days a week, lift weights, and walk. Still, no matter what I do, it really has no effect on the nerves and the strength of my leg. It is really out of my hands. Neither my physical therapist or doctor can do anything either. I knew it going into it and it is a risk you take. It normally does go away, I believe in 90% of patients, but there is a chance it never goes away or always is weaker.

So I do think too much is being made about what is really going on with Peyton. Fusion takes 3-6 months. It can take up to a year to recover from fusion surgery. So when someone says they don't know, I really take them at that. I really don't think there are hidden agendas by Jim Irsay or decisions are already made. I don't think Polian, Manning, and Irsay are hiding anything by saying nobody knows. I am not an NFL player (I wish!) and my work asks me every week when I can come back fulltime and I always have to say "I really don't know!". If it gets to March and Peyton is weaker or the nerves still aren't there, it is quite a gamble because he may never get better. I saw the reports he had good velocity on passes after practice. So I do hope he has recovered more. But just the fact that he still doesn't seem to know shows me he must still have strength loss. Otherwise, you would think Peyton would say "Hey, my arm is as strong as it ever has been!".

One last thing is that once the bone is fused, it is under no more danger of being reinjured then a normal disk. In fact, there is an argument it is actually stronger as a unit. So I don't think one has to worry he might take a shot in that area and be done. He is at no more risk than anyone else, from what my surgeons and what I have read on the topic say.

Anyways, don't know if that is helpful to anyone who is sitting around wondering what is going on. This is really not out of the ordinary. I kid with my friends that Peyton is copying me!!

Anyways, don't know if that is helpful to anyone who is sitting around wondering what is going on. This is really not out of the ordinary. I kid with my friends that Peyton is copying me!!

This is pretty much what i have assumed all along...i think that 99% of this is stirred up and spun by the media to generate attention and to make an exciting "story" to get viewrs/readers etc. The fact is, they have all been wrong on almost everything Colts related since the offseason began. They were wrong about Bill Polian, wrong about Jim Caldwell, wrong about Jim Tressel etc... I honestly think that Grigson purposely floated a few rumors to see where the in house leaks were, so he could get those people out of town. Now that the media doesnt have those "leaks" keeping them informed, they are grasping at straws and trying to just make it up as they go along.

This is pretty much what i have assumed all along...i think that 99% of this is stirred up and spun by the media to generate attention and to make an exciting "story" to get viewrs/readers etc. The fact is, they have all been wrong on almost everything Colts related since the offseason began. They were wrong about Bill Polian, wrong about Jim Caldwell, wrong about Jim Tressel etc... I honestly think that Grigson purposely floated a few rumors to see where the in house leaks were, so he could get those people out of town. Now that the media doesnt have those "leaks" keeping them informed, they are grasping at straws and trying to just make it up as they go along.

It really has opened my eyes to how flat out wrong the media is. Or the stuff being made up. Like take how the IndyStar writers were jumping on the "feud" between Manning and Polian. It appears that was completely fabricated.

I don't know if this is helpful to anyone, but I had the same surgery Peyton had on Sept 29th, 2011, except on my lower back. Right now my left leg is numb from the kneecap down, aches, and is about 30% weaker than my right leg.

The important part, which I think could relate to Peyton, is that NOBODY can tell me if and when my left leg will get it's strength back. I could wake up tomorrow and it could be fine, four months from now, or maybe never. This kind of goes with that kind of surgery. When you have had nerves touched or crushed, there is really no way to tell. I have to workout five days a week, lift weights, and walk. Still, no matter what I do, it really has no effect on the nerves and the strength of my leg. It is really out of my hands. Neither my physical therapist or doctor can do anything either. I knew it going into it and it is a risk you take. It normally does go away, I believe in 90% of patients, but there is a chance it never goes away or always is weaker.

So I do think too much is being made about what is really going on with Peyton. Fusion takes 3-6 months. It can take up to a year to recover from fusion surgery. So when someone says they don't know, I really take them at that. I really don't think there are hidden agendas by Jim Irsay or decisions are already made. I don't think Polian, Manning, and Irsay are hiding anything by saying nobody knows. I am not an NFL player (I wish!) and my work asks me every week when I can come back fulltime and I always have to say "I really don't know!". If it gets to March and Peyton is weaker or the nerves still aren't there, it is quite a gamble because he may never get better. I saw the reports he had good velocity on passes after practice. So I do hope he has recovered more. But just the fact that he still doesn't seem to know shows me he must still have strength loss. Otherwise, you would think Peyton would say "Hey, my arm is as strong as it ever has been!".

One last thing is that once the bone is fused, it is under no more danger of being reinjured then a normal disk. In fact, there is an argument it is actually stronger as a unit. So I don't think one has to worry he might take a shot in that area and be done. He is at no more risk than anyone else, from what my surgeons and what I have read on the topic say.

Thanks 'U'

.....We just dont know..like you say....

I guess Peyton is 5 months gone from surgery I'm just hoping that sometime in the next 6 months...

his arm strength returns to normal..

...I wish Peyton would say more about his condition but you may be right..he may simply have no answers...

I can't remember is it this hit or the one where he broke his jaw against the Dolphins, I believe it was the Dolphins, when his teammates said he was groggy in the huddle asking what down it was?

Possibly, but I remember Dungy referencing to this game when details about Peyton's surgery started to come out.

Possibly, but I remember Dungy referencing to this game when details about Peyton's surgery started to come out.

It's weird how the brain works I never thought of this play once outside of the day watching the game. For some reason though Dungy said in '06 against the Redskins I knew exactly what he was talking about before they showed it.

It's weird how the brain works I never thought of this play once outside of the day watching the game. For some reason though Dungy said in '06 against the Redskins I knew exactly what he was talking about before they showed it.

Same here, it looked nasty at the time, but he seemed to shake it off and had a great 2nd half.

i would assume that the redskins game was when it happened...but since Dungy said so, now i'm not so sure, since he's been wrong about everything so far this year in regard to the Colts! lol

all jokes aside, i remember that game...and i remember leading up to the game, Gregg Williams said his "goal" was to take out the QB...i've never liked him, and i'm personally HAPPY that he followed Fisher and did NOT come here