Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Critique of Tom Brady's 12 career best games

19colt

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/list/tom-brady-greatest-games-wins-records-patriots/n88atrk1fc9f16ewl9wrslxxq?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Click the article if you dare but Colts fans will enjoy the commentary by Scott Kacsmar:

Copying tweet links was going to take all day so...

1. Rarely ever played great in all of those AFC-C and SB appearances, so team wins get overrated in spite of his performance.

2. So many of his huge statistical games came against horrible teams/defenses in early-afternoon games people forget (07 MIA, 09 TEN).

Screw it, if Trump's going to be president, I'm going to rant about what I want. Let's pick this apart.

12. Tuck Rule - fumbled with the game on the line, only to be bailed out by an obscure rule that was finally eliminated from the NFL.

11. 2016 Browns - hello, recency bias. Yes, Brady had a big game against a CLE team that's 0-9 and can't even locate a TE, let alone cover.

10. 2001 Colts - Brady's 1st start w/a pedestrian line (13-23, 168, 0 TD) against the worst D in NFL. At least pick the rematch that year.

9. 2009 BUF - yes, a 25-24 comeback after struggling all night, bailed out by Leodis McKelvin fumbling on the late kickoff. GWD = 31 yards.

8. SB 49 - it has to make the list, but we'll always remember this game for Malcolm Butler's game-winning INT at the 1-yard line.

SB 49: we'll forget about how seriously injured the LOB was, or that Brady threw two bad picks that injured two more key SEA players.

7. SB 38 vs. CAR: huh, this should be top 3 at least. Haven't watched it in a while, but can't front on this one.

6. 16-0 game vs. 07 NYG - I like this being on the list. Good game, important game. 12-point comeback. It definitely belongs.

5. 24-pt DEN comeback 2013 - usually a QB's big comeback doesn't come after he plays like complete butt for 30 minutes, but alas...

5. Brady had a great 2nd half, but of course he only wins the game in OT after DEN's Welker muffs a punt inside the 15. Kneeldown GWD. Weak.

4. 59-0 09 Titans - mentioned already, huge stats in a snow game against a winless team playing the worst pass coverage I've seen in NFL.

4. At least he didn't pick 07 MIA, where Brady threw 6 TD vs. a 1-15 Miami team; 2 of them were sure INTs Moss turned into TDs on bombs.

3. SB 39 PHI - only makes the list b/c it's a SB. Not a memorable performance. GWD was screens left & ref a one-armed QB could complete.

3. Seriously, how in the world do you put that Eagles SB over the Panthers SB?

2. 2014 Bengals SNF - yeah, I get the significance, but it was just the Bengals. If this is his 2nd-best game, well, can't I say overrated?

1. SB 36 STL - excuse me while I clean the immediate area of all vomit.

13 points of offense, 69 air yards, didn't convert a 3rd down, got away with grounding on GWD.

Conclusion: Everyone's list will look different, but I think the writer picked several games a lot of other people would pick for Brady

And when you consider the way he played in said games, and his contribution to the win, hardly that impressive for a QB some call the GOAT.

I think his best game ever played was against the Panthers in SB 38 (2003 Season) where he threw for 354 Yards and 3 TD's. Because of the stakes of that game is another reason why. He led the game winning drive to get Vinny in position to win the game. On a side note is just me but when people post tweets the screen wont quit moving once you scroll past that particular Post? Almost makes it impossible to Reply to Posts or read Posts.

It was nice the author put together the list.  I do not agree with the list.  I too think SB 38 was one of his better games.  He did actually throw a late game red zone pick, but drove his team down the field on the next drive to take the lead again.  That game was definitely a shoot out.

I have SB 49 high on my list along with the 24 point comeback in the regular season Denver game.  I would also likely include the 2007 regular season game against the colts as the same was undefeated, SB champs, on the road and i think down by 10 late in the 3rd.  

I know SB 36 was our first SB, but i would not put that one, lower on the list and likely middle or lower  

Scott Kacsmar is the man. He was the first writer to call out Rodgers (after the Bengals loss a few years ago). Not that a sportswriter calling out a player is anything to brag about, and he's not 1 of those guys who looks for reasons to do that type of thing but he nailed it like he does most of his stuff. This led to that bizarre list of W/Ls against .500 or better teams that nobody could believe. He just gets it.

This list is pretty accurate. Normally I'd call a list like this a bunch of token picks but these really are his best games. Sure there were others but does some regular season game against the Jets where he had just as much help replace the SB? Nah...if you're going to choose from similar games, you would start with the biggest ones first. 

If I had to choose 1 to add in place of my least favorite here (Browns game...another otherwise typical token list pick...there's always the last good game even if it's totally fraudulent) I would choose that Saints game that he won on the last play...I want to say 2013. It was the same year as the 28 point 49ers comeback iirc, which was the best football he ever played imo. The reason it doesn't go here though is because technically it wasn't a comeback (they went on to lose).