Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Whatever Happened To That Costanzo Guy?

John Waylon

This is one of the most puzzling situations I can recall as a Colts fan. The reviews on him were mixed leading up to his new contract.

Now, by mixed I mean there were those who thought he was elite, and those who thought he was just good. There really weren't any (intelligent) people calling him a terrible linemen.

When he got his new contract there were some who thought it was steep, some who thought it was good, but again there were no (intelligent) people claiming we had paid 10 bucks for a 5 dollar bus ride.

It's been pretty much a season and a half now since he got his deal, and a lot of petiole have been trying the leave the jury out, but that's just kinda silly at this point.

So just what in the hell happened to this guy?

Good question. He was certainly a solid LT before his contract. He was our best lineman. Now he seems to have lost his quickness and maybe his strength.  He is not a big man for his position.  I always favored bigger and stronger left tackles.  Now, I just think he has past his prime earlier than we expected.  LT is now an unexpected problem. 

I have never been a fan of #74. I always thought he was undersized, slow, and over rated. Seems like you can count on at least 1 run or TD called back every game cause of him. And our sack count is atrocious. And he's our best olineman? Guarding the blindside. Him and #76 need to go. Maybe they can hack it in the cfl. With them Luck may never reach his potential, or worse. They get beat on 3 man rushes...then the other team drops in coverage and there goes our pass game. And they hardly get to the second level on run plays. I could go on...but they shouldn't be able to.

He has played a lot of good football for us in the past. Can't say I know what his deal is...but he definitely hasn't looked like a franchise LT. I wanted to move him to RT before we brought in Cherilus but he played well enough to stay at LT. He may still get moved yet next year. Who knows maybe Clark in the offseason puts on 25 pounds of muscle and tightens up his skills and we have our LT. It's hard to say really. Some players decline...they lose that motivation once they get that big contract...some just fall off a cliff. He is tetering for sure though.

He has played a lot of good football for us in the past. Can't say I know what his deal is...but he definitely hasn't looked like a franchise LT. I wanted to move him to RT before we brought in Cherilus but he played well enough to stay at LT. He may still get moved yet next year. Who knows maybe Clark in the offseason puts on 25 pounds of muscle and tightens up his skills and we have our LT. It's hard to say really. Some players decline...they lose that motivation once they get that big contract...some just fall off a cliff. He is tetering for sure though.

See, that's the thing with Costanzo. I don't think he lost that motivation because when you see and hear him talk about his production you can tell that he is legitimately upset. You can tell that he really does have that fire to do well burning inside. I don't think he took the money and checked out.

It's also hard to imagine a guy's physical skills declining so much in one offseason at such a young age. There's been no major injury to complicate that, either.

Being honest here, we're getting a top 10 pick. With as bad as our line is, I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a stud LT if we feel there is one available when we pick and moving Costanzo to the right.

I dunno. I just don't know at this point. It's beyond all rational explanation.

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

See, that's the thing with Costanzo. I don't think he lost that motivation because when you see and hear him talk about his production you can tell that he is legitimately upset. You can tell that he really does have that fire to do well burning inside. I don't think he took the money and checked out.

It's also hard to imagine a guy's physical skills declining so much in one offseason at such a young age. There's been no major injury to complicate that, either.

Being honest here, we're getting a top 10 pick. With as bad as our line is, I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a stud LT if we feel there is one available when we pick and moving Costanzo to the right.

Yeah if we pick in the top 10 and don't get a stud tackle or olb I would flip my lid. Can't imagine filling another position on this team and passing on those two as clearly they would improve this team the most if we upgraded them.

Yeah if we pick in the top 10 and don't get a stud tackle or olb I would flip my lid. Can't imagine filling another position on this team and passing on those two as clearly they would improve this team the most if we upgraded them.

Two words: Phillip Dorsett.

We're a season and a half into him now as well, and boy does that look like it's gonna be a mistake.

I honestly think coaching ruined him idk what they changed this year but they've made him regress he's being owned by scrubs he used to demolish...2 years ago before being paid he was top 5 last year he struggled then came on midway and did well..now we change oline coaches and he's completely trash 

I just can't believe after 5 years of us knowing the oline is the #1 issue that we now have to replace our left tackle .

We're going to have to waste our top 10 pick on a position we've been trying to fix for 5 years, that is sad. Should be spent on a stud pass rusher. 

The biggest "splash" we made at OLB is Trent freaking Cole. Can you believe that? meanwhile we've wasted how much money? how many draft picks on an oline that looks like it gets worse every week? 

I just can't believe after 5 years of us knowing the oline is the #1 issue that we now have to replace our left tackle .

We're going to have to waste our top 10 pick on a position we've been trying to fix for 5 years, that is sad. Should be spent on a stud pass rusher. 

The biggest "splash" we made at OLB is Trent freaking Cole. Can you believe that? meanwhile we've wasted how much money? how many draft picks on an oline that looks like it gets worse every week? 

It's just rough because it shouldn't be a need. Costanzo in his first contract was, if nothing else, solid. He may not have been a dominant tackle, but there was no need to upgrade the position because he was holding his own far more often than not. But now he's regressed to the point where something simply has to be done because it is a serious issue.

You mention to other acquisitions that haven't panned out, and that makes the whole situation even more volatile. If we spend a top 10 pick on a LT that turns out to be a bust, this bad situation continues to get worse.

But in all honesty, I don't place the blame on grigson for all the offensive line woes. He's brought in a chorus line of guys in his time here. They just haven't panned out, and I don't even think most of that is necessarily his fault. I'm one of the biggest opponents of the college system because it's churning out players who aren't capable of competing at the NFL level. Linemen in these gimmicky college offenses are getting to the NFL and they are in way over their heads because they haven't been built to play pro-style football, and the defensive athletes at this level make the bells and whistles college offenses useless. The offensive line problem, while we may be leading the pack with how bad it is, isn't just a problem here. It's a league wide epidemic.

12 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Two words: Phillip Dorsett.

We're a season and a half into him now as well, and boy does that look like it's gonna be a mistake.

but but people on here blasted me when I said something about it being a bad pick giving me the Reggie Wayne example.  Dorsett is no Reggie Wayne, that's for sure.

13 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm starting to feel more like he's better suited to the right side.  I think some of his problems are due to technique, which falls on the coaching staff.

I think he's better suited for the bench.