Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lets fix the colts part 2

CR91

So if anyone remembers I did a similar thread about how to fix the colts and to be honest they started to do it. they read my thread :Cry:All joking aside here are more suggestions.

Luck needs to stop holding on to the ball.-this is really fundamental. Its called an inner clock that tells you get rid of the ball. I honestly don't blame the oline for luck's sacks because they give him plenty of time to throw. texans game luck was given time, but was sacked because he held on to the ball. More then one occasion I was screaming throw it away and he instead he takes the sack. I dont know if arians drilled it to luck's head that he can be like big ben and create plays by holding on to the ball then throwing it at the last possible second, but when the play isnt there just throw it away. The sack he took that took us out of FG range was a killer. 3rd and 5 is much better then 3rd and 15.

run the damn ball on 4th and 1-Nadine Im sorry for saying damn, but it needed to be said. I really don't understand the thinking here. Gore was running really well and instead of giving him the ball, you run two in routes? Why? this is one of the reasons I believe Luck needs to be given some freedom when it comes to play calling because even my uneducated football mind would have said um no chud you're nuts.

stop the run, cant get pressure/get pressure, cant stop the run- As I listed on my last thread, Teddy M needed to get creative with his pressures and he did. mathis got his first sack, we were pressuring brock, we were moving the pocket, we did a lot of good things, but for whatever reason we couldnt stop the run. my guess with the extra pressure we were providing, it put players out of place when it came to run support, but thats why you bring geathers down to play in the box. 

I'm not disagreeing with you CR, and I've said the same thing about Luck holding the ball too long.  A significant portion of the sacks and hits he takes are because of that.

But we never complain when he holds the ball too long and turns it into a big play, right?

It would be interesting to know how many plays where he held the ball for what we would consider 'too long' that worked opposed to where he was sacked.

Totally agree with your second paragraph, that was ridiculous.  As far as your third - superior talent makes good coaching look great.  We probably don't have either. 

4 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Nobody complains about Aaron Rodgers. He holds onto the ball for a long time as well... But guess what, he makes plays downfield too. You just have to be smart, throw it away when nobody is open or plan to get sacked.

my point is if youre gonna hold on to the ball, then make a play out of it, dont just take a sack especially when youre out of the pocket

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

my point is if youre gonna hold on to the ball, then make a play out of it, dont just take a sack especially when youre out of the pocket

Yeah, that should be obvious. That is all on Luck if he's outside the pocket.

29 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'm not disagreeing with you CR, and I've said the same thing about Luck holding the ball too long.  A significant portion of the sacks and hits he takes are because of that.

But we never complain when he holds the ball too long and turns it into a big play, right?

It would be interesting to know how many plays where he held the ball for what we would consider 'too long' that worked opposed to where he was sacked.

Totally agree with your second paragraph, that was ridiculous.  As far as your third - superior talent makes good coaching look great.  We probably don't have either. 

I dont have a problem with him holding the ball if youre gonna make a play out of it, but be smart about it. dont take a sack when you can just throw it away

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Maybe he holds onto the ball because guys cannot get open.  It is not like we have WRs who can go up and make a play if Luck toss it up there.  Moncrief's injury has really hurt our offense as he is the only one who can go up and make a catch.  

Your not going to fix the Colts until the draft and free agency.  Our team is just not good and we are void of talent in vital areas.  OLB, DL, OL and corner need to be our focus this offseason and we must get an impact OLB who can rush the passer or our defense will continue to struggle.  

Hopefully, being two years removed from his knee injury Anderson can return to form and sure up that run defense.

The quickest way to fix the Colts is to get a pass rush.  A defensive stop almost always seems to fire our offense up.  The problem is we hardly ever get one.  I still think we made the right choice building our Oline, as there weren't that many game changer pass rushers when we picked.  Hopefully, the next draft nets us a good one.

7 hours ago, CR91 said:

So if anyone remembers I did a similar thread about how to fix the colts and to be honest they started to do it. they read my thread :Cry:All joking aside here are more suggestions.

Luck needs to stop holding on to the ball.-this is really fundamental. Its called an inner clock that tells you get rid of the ball. I honestly don't blame the oline for luck's sacks because they give him plenty of time to throw. texans game luck was given time, but was sacked because he held on to the ball. More then one occasion I was screaming throw it away and he instead he takes the sack. I dont know if arians drilled it to luck's head that he can be like big ben and create plays by holding on to the ball then throwing it at the last possible second, but when the play isnt there just throw it away. The sack he took that took us out of FG range was a killer. 3rd and 5 is much better then 3rd and 15.

run the damn ball on 4th and 1-Nadine Im sorry for saying damn, but it needed to be said. I really don't understand the thinking here. Gore was running really well and instead of giving him the ball, you run two in routes? Why? this is one of the reasons I believe Luck needs to be given some freedom when it comes to play calling because even my uneducated football mind would have said um no chud you're nuts.

stop the run, cant get pressure/get pressure, cant stop the run- As I listed on my last thread, Teddy M needed to get creative with his pressures and he did. mathis got his first sack, we were pressuring brock, we were moving the pocket, we did a lot of good things, but for whatever reason we couldnt stop the run. my guess with the extra pressure we were providing, it put players out of place when it came to run support, but thats why you bring geathers down to play in the box. 

There are some plays that I am blaming luck for the saks but last game the amount of sacks he took he never had a chance on the play so in that game atleast I blame the o-line.