Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Theory

csmopar

Sorry if this has been brought up elsewhere, I've not seen it mentioned, but I'm going ask.  Last year when we were falling apart, there was all these rumors that Grigson was in on day to day coaching and game day coaching decisions. We were also told that irsay told Grigson to back off and let Pagano handle things.  Now, bear with me, this is a complete theory/questionary theory. But could it be that Grigs was actually covering Pagano's rearend from day 1 when he got hired? Seems to me that things went way south after Grigs was told to back off.  Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Grigson, though I will say he seems to have learned some what from his past drafting mistakes but I wouldnt be heart broken if he was gone too.  So that being said, is it possible that the gameday and day to day meddling was what netted us those 11-5 seasons? Or is the now lack of oversight giving Pagano an ego behind the seasons and he's just gone nuts with power?  Again, pure speculation, pure wondering out loud, and probably utter nonesense but I'm curious, has anyone else wondered along these lines? 

No, it's just a matter of our luck running out.  The way we were winning in 2012-14 - the ridiculous comebacks - you can't win like that forever.  It's impossible.  In 2016, those comebacks are now falling short, and teams are now coming back on us.  The script has been flipped. 

When they were winning in that manner during 2012-2014 most of us thought, this is nice, but you need to build a real team capable of playing a 4 quarter game.  They never have.  In 2016, it's the same weak team whose luck has now run out.

5 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Yeah as in, "okay, I hear you, but why do it?"  Like, why cover for Pagano?

ah ok. The only thing I could think of is that Grigson wants or wanted to win at all cost, even if that meant stepping on Pags.

again though, im purely speculating based on the fact it seems the wheels, axle, and the rest of the drive train has fallen out from under the train as it wrecks lines up with the timeline of Grigs taking a hands off approach

15 minutes ago, csmopar said:

ah ok. The only thing I could think of is that Grigson wants or wanted to win at all cost, even if that meant stepping on Pags.

again though, im purely speculating based on the fact it seems the wheels, axle, and the rest of the drive train has fallen out from under the train as it wrecks lines up with the timeline of Grigs taking a hands off approach

Perhaps you can attribute some of our winning to Grigson, he did, after all, put the players on the roster.  But some of our winning was also due to Pagano...how much, we'll never know and it really doesn't matter.  But ultimately, missing on the picks that Grigs has missed on, hiring a bad OC and going mid-season with a new OC with the old OC's playbook, injuries to Luck, Pagano and the Colts losing close games with complete breakdowns toward the end of the game.  They're both under fire and have committed transgressions, under the old system and the current one.  

They're not going to turn it around in 1 season either.  I don't think that was ever a realistic expectation.  Perhaps we didn't expect to be where we are now, but what had to occur in that conversation behind closed doors was how far off this roster really is in terms of being super bowl caliber.  Heading into the draft, on these boards, even, it was all but a consensus that it would take at least another couple drafts to fix this team, and here we are 6 games in and we've changed our mindset into blowing the whole thing up.  

The problem is, with our previous mistakes as a team, we've extended the "acceptable" timeline to rebuild from 3 years to 6 years.  I'm okay with going through that 6th year (that is, through the 2017 season) and seeing where we're at, because to blow it all up now would be a bigger setback - changing offesive and defensive schemes all over again (for the what, billionth time since Luck's been here?), doing that renders some players unusable, particularly role players, which is practically everyone on defense, and then we're starting over at square one.  I think we ought to give the current regime a little longer than 6 games...

6 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Perhaps you can attribute some of our winning to Grigson, he did, after all, put the players on the roster.  But some of our winning was also due to Pagano...how much, we'll never know and it really doesn't matter.  But ultimately, missing on the picks that Grigs has missed on, hiring a bad OC and going mid-season with a new OC with the old OC's playbook, injuries to Luck, Pagano and the Colts losing close games with complete breakdowns toward the end of the game.  They're both under fire and have committed transgressions, under the old system and the current one.  

They're not going to turn it around in 1 season either.  I don't think that was ever a realistic expectation.  Perhaps we didn't expect to be where we are now, but what had to occur in that conversation behind closed doors was how far off this roster really is in terms of being super bowl caliber.  Heading into the draft, on these boards, even, it was all but a consensus that it would take at least another couple drafts to fix this team, and here we are 6 games in and we've changed our mindset into blowing the whole thing up.  

The problem is, with our previous mistakes as a team, we've extended the "acceptable" timeline to rebuild from 3 years to 6 years.  I'm okay with going through that 6th year (that is, through the 2017 season) and seeing where we're at, because to blow it all up now would be a bigger setback - changing offesive and defensive schemes all over again (for the what, billionth time since Luck's been here?), doing that renders some players unusable, particularly role players, which is practically everyone on defense, and then we're starting over at square one.  I think we ought to give the current regime a little longer than 6 games...

hmmmm good point. especially the bolded.

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Sorry if this has been brought up elsewhere, I've not seen it mentioned, but I'm going ask.  Last year when we were falling apart, there was all these rumors that Grigson was in on day to day coaching and game day coaching decisions. We were also told that irsay told Grigson to back off and let Pagano handle things.  Now, bear with me, this is a complete theory/questionary theory. But could it be that Grigs was actually covering Pagano's rearend from day 1 when he got hired? Seems to me that things went way south after Grigs was told to back off.  Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Grigson, though I will say he seems to have learned some what from his past drafting mistakes but I wouldnt be heart broken if he was gone too.  So that being said, is it possible that the gameday and day to day meddling was what netted us those 11-5 seasons? Or is the now lack of oversight giving Pagano an ego behind the seasons and he's just gone nuts with power?  Again, pure speculation, pure wondering out loud, and probably utter nonesense but I'm curious, has anyone else wondered along these lines? 

Mmmm! Sounds like the up all night 6 pots of coffee theory to me.
 I`m betting you went down for the count soon after this post. LOL   :headspin: