Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It Is Pretty Clear Pags Will Implement A 34/43 Hybrid Defense Like The Ravens

BlueShoe

After hearing Pagano in his press conference, it was pretty clear to me that his intentions are to slowly move this team into a 34/43 hybrid defense like the Ravens play.

I don't think he dodged the question very much and he even elaborated some on how it would eventually be done.

I am watching his press conference now....and so far I like what he will bring to the table, he has a good sense of humor and a fire in his eyes to make this team an elite team for years to come it seems, at least to me it does

I agree with you. I really liked what I saw from him and I am looking forward to the D is he is going to bring here.

Im pretty sure the 3-4 defense question was on of the first question asked, but i missed it :-/ . I just hope the colts show some commitment in the upcoming draft. If in the draft I see the Colts drafting bigger NT, and DEs then that might be the best way to know if a 3-4 will be implemented. If we look in FA i think that would probably a short term replacement until we draft our people.

I honestly do not think the 3-4 will be implemented here in the first season, and if our revamped 4-3 D does well then I dont see a complete overhaul happening. Either D is great, but i would be lying if I was to say I wouldn't want a 3-4 Defense implemented whether it be our base D or a hybrid ala Ravens.

It seemed when asked the question he tried to dodge it. Then when he continued to talk he let it slip he wants the 3-4 in their. Just how I took it.

Kinda my take too.

Im sure he'll keep an open mind when evaluating the team but you can tell he would like to put in the 3-4 if possible.

Ive always loved seeing a 3-4 defense when its ran right* so im really hoping we try to build one.

Im pretty sure the 3-4 defense question was on of the first question asked, but i missed it :-/ . I just hope the colts show some commitment in the upcoming draft. If in the draft I see the Colts drafting bigger NT, and DEs then that might be the best way to know if a 3-4 will be implemented. If we look in FA i think that would probably a short term replacement until we draft our people.

I hope if Manning is released we use that money to go out and get OG Carl Nicks to fortify this OL. Then that problem is solved and we can focus on getting playmakers on defense and WR/TE.

I am hoping for Dontari Poe in the 2nd or Josh Chapman in the 3rd for our NT position. That would allow us to run the 3-4/4-3 hybrid. Then Mathis is moved to OLB and if Freeney reduces his deal he can be kept around to also possibly be a OLB. If not he is pretty good trade bait to get us a 1st round pick. We still have Hughes and Wheeler who could both play pass rushing OLBs so we should be fine getting to the QB we just need a big NT to occupy blockers, maybe another big DE like Jared Crick, and help in the secondary.

It is all based on what personnel he has on defense to work with. Initially we may run more 4-3 hybrid with some utilization of 3-4 here and there to keep things interesting. As he gets more of the kind of personnel he wants on defense over the next few seasons, then I expect him to start opening things up even more since he will have greater flexibility from a personnel standpoint to be really creative mixing in the defensive schemes similar to how he did in Baltimore.

I really, really doubt that we're going to stick with a base 4-3 all the time. He specifically mentioned Freeney and Mathis standing up. Granted, we may not have either player next season depending on how contracts play out, but this guy sounds like a very versatile coach. We may see a 3-4 on x down, and a 4-3 on y down, and who knows what on 3rd and 7. He is very much interested in bringing a REAL defense to the Colts.

As for the personnel, we're not as far away as some like to claim. Freeney, Mathis, and Hughes drop back to OLB. Our interior defensive linemen will be given a chance at DE and DT positions, but are mostly suited for DE from what I gather. We'll need to bring in a NT.

Basically, the defense sounds as if it will be tweaked and used as best he can. Given our defense hasn't been a bright spot on this team, I'd like to think we are no more suited for the 4-3 than we are for the 3-4 as we aren't really all that good in the 4-3. Not to mention, they can do what we did this year and bring in some low priced FAs to help us fit the scheme.

In my opinion, the FO needs to dedicate the draft (after Luck, of course) to the front 7, and use free agency to shore up the o-line and secondary. I'd love to see the Colts land somebody like Carl Nicks in FA

In my opinion, the FO needs to dedicate the draft (after Luck, of course) to the front 7, and use free agency to shore up the o-line and secondary. I'd love to see the Colts land somebody like Carl Nicks in FA

I will say that we cannot do this. You cannot pigeon hole and say that we can only select defensively this year. All that does is sets the other side of the ball further back. As I recall, we had problems with both this year.

To me, we need to take the BPA that we deem a need. To me, there are going to be a lot of needs once we determine which players are retained.

WR - Wayne may be retained, Garcon may be retained, but both are FA, if I recall.

TE - Clark's successor will be needed, as Clark is getting pricey and we're likely to bring in a new QB.

OL - Anywhere, everywhere, we need some updates. Saturday is mulling retirement. Our interior has been soft and our running game has shown it. Costanzo and Ijalana are two young guys with potential. Hopefully, Costanzo can make a giant leap this year and be the LT we all hoped he would be. Hopefully Ijalana can find himself a spot and contribute at a high level.

RB - Addai is injury prone, Brown has been questionable but shown flashes, and Carter doesn't seem to fit the every down back role. He might, but he slowed down later in the season it seemed. We need a new back. Perhaps we find ourselves a UDFA like Arian Foster, but I wouldn't count on it.

FB - We have yet to have a real one for a long time, but the press conference tells me this coach will insist on a running game. Expect a FB to be a priority, and not an afterthought like it has been.

Defense-

NT - We need a NT adequate for the 3-4.

DE - We need a quality DE, though we may be able to get production out of some of our bigger UTs here.

MLB - We have Angerer, and some suggest Conner would be suited more inside than out in a 3-4, but we need depth here.

OLB - If we retain 98 and 93, we have two guys with upside. We have an unknown in Hughes, but he might excel here. Could stand to add depth.

CB - Without question, we need improvement here.

FS - Bethea. Just need to throw in some depth.

SS - I don't see Bullit being our guy here, but he may hang on for a year or two if he stays healthy. Need a quality guy here to take over in the likely event Bullit hits the sidelines.

K - We may or may not see #4 again next season. We need a guy here most likely, though we may get more out of AV.

P - McAfee is solid.

So, we have a lot more needs than just defense, though we certainly have needs there as well. I trust that the new staff won't pigeon hole their selections to find defense that fits the scheme, but rather talented players that improve the roster.

There is no sense passing on a Clark type of tight end to draft a player that has experience in the 3-4 but questionable promise. If they see a guy they feel can contribute, they should grab him if they can, despite which side of the field he plays on.

I will say that we cannot do this. You cannot pigeon hole and say that we can only select defensively this year. All that does is sets the other side of the ball further back. As I recall, we had problems with both this year.

To me, we need to take the BPA that we deem a need. To me, there are going to be a lot of needs once we determine which players are retained.

WR - Wayne may be retained, Garcon may be retained, but both are FA, if I recall.

TE - Clark's successor will be needed, as Clark is getting pricey and we're likely to bring in a new QB.

OL - Anywhere, everywhere, we need some updates. Saturday is mulling retirement. Our interior has been soft and our running game has shown it. Costanzo and Ijalana are two young guys with potential. Hopefully, Costanzo can make a giant leap this year and be the LT we all hoped he would be. Hopefully Ijalana can find himself a spot and contribute at a high level.

RB - Addai is injury prone, Brown has been questionable but shown flashes, and Carter doesn't seem to fit the every down back role. He might, but he slowed down later in the season it seemed. We need a new back. Perhaps we find ourselves a UDFA like Arian Foster, but I wouldn't count on it.

FB - We have yet to have a real one for a long time, but the press conference tells me this coach will insist on a running game. Expect a FB to be a priority, and not an afterthought like it has been.

Defense-

NT - We need a NT adequate for the 3-4.

DE - We need a quality DE, though we may be able to get production out of some of our bigger UTs here.

MLB - We have Angerer, and some suggest Conner would be suited more inside than out in a 3-4, but we need depth here.

OLB - If we retain 98 and 93, we have two guys with upside. We have an unknown in Hughes, but he might excel here. Could stand to add depth.

CB - Without question, we need improvement here.

FS - Bethea. Just need to throw in some depth.

SS - I don't see Bullit being our guy here, but he may hang on for a year or two if he stays healthy. Need a quality guy here to take over in the likely event Bullit hits the sidelines.

K - We may or may not see #4 again next season. We need a guy here most likely, though we may get more out of AV.

P - McAfee is solid.

So, we have a lot more needs than just defense, though we certainly have needs there as well. I trust that the new staff won't pigeon hole their selections to find defense that fits the scheme, but rather talented players that improve the roster.

There is no sense passing on a Clark type of tight end to draft a player that has experience in the 3-4 but questionable promise. If they see a guy they feel can contribute, they should grab him if they can, despite which side of the field he plays on.

I never said our only needs heading into the draft were on the defensive side of the ball. What I said was, the majority of this draft needs to be dedicated to the defensive side of the ball -- in the trenches, in particular. The reason I say this is because we are doing a complete shift in style and philosophy on that side of the ball, and don't currently have the personel to make it work. There will be quality, proven talent in free agency to adress other areas. They don't need to all be high profile players, but they have to be able to be solid role players. The only big money I want to see shelled out by us in free agency needs to be on either the O or D lines.

Skill players come and go, but the one constant in every great football team is the ability to control the line of scrimmage. I'm willing to part with aged veterans at skill positions like Wayne and Clark, who are both on the downslide & too one dimensional. If we shift into more of a power running game, Clark's value diminishes quite a bit anyways, being a poor blocking TE.

As I said, if we dedicate the majority of the draft to DE, NT and OLB, while adressing the o-line and secondary in free agency with proven vets, I think we'd be laying a solid foundation to build on for years to come. The BPA draft approach is fine when you have something to stand on already. With a change in defensive philosophy, it is important that we get as many players in who fit Pagano's system as possible. Look at Houston's ability to shift defenses last year, and note the correlation between their draft (focused mainly on defensive side of ball) and their successfulness in doing so.

We have many needs, as you said, but we're not going to adress them all in one draft. If you take the player you deem the best available, you run the risk of missing out on someone good for the scheme you're trying to shift to. Why take the best receiver on the board in the 4th round over a potential stud 3-4 NT, who is rated slightly lower, when you already have Garcon, Collie and Wayne(potentially) to work with in your receiving core, and no one who fits the bill as a NT currently on the roster?