Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good Article On Pagano's Aggressivs Style

1959Colts

My favourite part of either article:

Whoever it is, the new coordinator can't allow the aggressiveness on defense to leave with Pagano, who wasn't afraid to blitz linebackers, safeties and cornerbacks. Under Pagano, the Ravens defense played like the one of old. Pressuring the quarterback led to turnovers, which led to easy scores. The Ravens led the NFL with 21 forced fumbles this season, which was three more than any other team.

The article was interesting, I like his style of defense, but I am not sure the Colts have the staff to pull it off. They will definitely need stronger corners and safeties, otherwise teams with good QBs will eat them alive. Also if they go to the 3-4, they will need another linebacker or they can try Hughes back there. I think the most important thing to do now is hire the right offensive coordinator. Hue Jackson would be an interesting hire, he was one of the head coaches I felt didn't deserve to be fired. It depends on whether he wants another head coaching job or not. As far as whether or not he is head coaching material that remains to be seen, he seems like he will definitely be a different style of coach, infact the opposite of what the Colts have had for quite a while. There is no way he would have made it with Polian still in control.

When I've heard first, that he is our new HC, I was dissappointed, because I would rather see an offensive minded coach. Reading those article i feel, that he may boost up our D, and would be also able to fire up players.

It also means that we really need a VERY good OC (assisstant HC) to utilize our QBs' abilities (Peyton, and possibly later Luck).

I think this hire doesnt improve Colts' (and Irsay's) popularity in Baltimore...

When I've heard first, that he is our new HC, I was dissappointed, because I would rather see an offensive minded coach. Reading those article i feel, that he may boost up our D, and would be also able to fire up players.

It also means that we really need a VERY good OC (assisstant HC) to utilize our QBs' abilities (Peyton, and possibly later Luck).

I think this hire doesnt improve Colts' (and Irsay's) popularity in Baltimore...

You got that right :applause:

while i think that the 4-3 D can be every bit as effective as the 3-4, depending on the players involved, i honestly think that a switch to a 3-4 would be good for a couple of reasons...we could play Jerry Hughes in a way that he would be not only more comfortable with, but that he would be much better at. I think that a switch to OLB in a 3-4 could actually make a good quality player of Hughes...and i think that Mathis would do well as the other OLB...Freeney wouldnt fit well in a 3-4, however...but then again, if we did part ways with Freeney it would open up nearly $19million on our salary cap to be used to bolster other areas.

I am not trying to get rid of Freeney, i'm just bored at 5am and brainstorming lol

Loved this:

"My motto's always been: They can fire you but they can't eat you," Pagano said during the season. "If we go down, we're going down saying we put it all out there. Not that we want to be stupid. We have to take calculated risks. But we will let the fur fly."

The more I read about Pagano, the more I like him.

Here is another one:

A three-yard gain by the opposition prompts the seemingly endless refrain of "Too much, too much," from Pagano on the sideline, according to Webb

(to be read here: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-01-19/sports/^cowpatties^-sp-ravens-pagano-0120-20120119_1_football-coach-larry-coyer-coach-and-special-teams )

Yeah, I will like this haha

The article was interesting, I like his style of defense, but I am not sure the Colts have the staff to pull it off. They will definitely need stronger corners and safeties, otherwise teams with good QBs will eat them alive. Also if they go to the 3-4, they will need another linebacker or they can try Hughes back there. I think the most important thing to do now is hire the right offensive coordinator. Hue Jackson would be an interesting hire, he was one of the head coaches I felt didn't deserve to be fired. It depends on whether he wants another head coaching job or not. As far as whether or not he is head coaching material that remains to be seen, he seems like he will definitely be a different style of coach, infact the opposite of what the Colts have had for quite a while. There is no way he would have made it with Polian still in control.

C-DOG..why do we need another linebacker for 3-4?

we have Conner, Sims outside..and Brackett-Angerer inside..

..and Mathis/Hughes could be an OLB on pass rush downs

LB is a strength of ours..

...we need two nose tackles (we have none) and they're hard to find..

C-DOG..why do we need another linebacker for 3-4?

we have Conner, Sims outside..and Brackett-Angerer inside..

..and Mathis/Hughes could be an OLB on pass rush downs

LB is a strength of ours..

...we need two nose tackles (we have none) and they're hard to find..

Im not sure i would like Angerer to play in a 3/4 hes to small and would have to take on one extra o lineman every play, we might need a few people

Im not sure i would like Angerer to play in a 3/4 hes to small and would have to take on one extra o lineman every play, we might need a few people

It's not like you need a 250-260lb ILB. We will likely need 3-4 capable ILBs (Just in case), but we might already have the. You have Angerer, Connor, Sims (Might be a reach) and Bracket (Health an issue atm). As far as OLB, you have Mathis, Hughes, Wheeler and Freeney. Not saying that they will all pan out, but we do have options.

It's not like you need a 250-260lb ILB. We will likely need 3-4 capable ILBs (Just in case), but we might already have the. You have Angerer, Connor, Sims (Might be a reach) and Bracket (Health an issue atm). As far as OLB, you have Mathis, Hughes, Wheeler and Freeney. Not saying that they will all pan out, but we do have options.

We do have options but imo I dont think someone like Brackett or Angerer would be good in that system. Most sucessful 3/4 defenses have bigger stronger more athletic LB'S. One LB i do like for that system is Conner. I assume now since we have a new coach who just left the Ravens, who had bigger LB'S and D line in general we will go in that direction. It could work with what we have now but I just dont see that happening at least right now.