Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

44 Can Play

BlueShoe

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

What are the skill set differences between the 2??  Is Will suppose to have better coverage skills?

Yes.....    the will is supposed to be more athletic,  better coverage skill,   better pass rush skill....

The Mike is your guy in the middle.     He'll lead the defense and typically have the most tackles....  if not the most,  then close to it.

Mike = Middle linebacker

Will = Weakside backer

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes.....    the will is supposed to be more athletic,  better coverage skill,   better pass rush skill....

The Mike is your guy in the middle.     He'll lead the defense and typically have the most tackles....  if not the most,  then close to it.

Mike = Middle linebacker

Will = Weakside backer

I always thought the interior linebackers was an interesting group as you could argue that they are the ones that needs to most versatile skill set of all. Ideally, you want them to be able to both stuff the run, rush the QB and help cover TE's. Jack of all trades, but they also have to master some skill set.

3 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

I always thought the interior linebackers was an interesting group as you could argue that they are the ones that needs to most versatile skill set of all. Ideally, you want them to be able to both stuff the run, rush the QB and help cover TE's. Jack of all trades, but they also have to master some skill set.

All good points.....

But the roles are defined differently for the two ILB's in a 3-4.

And then we have someone like Morrison.....   who is not as athletic,  but knows the game better than most,  has great instincts and awareness.      On draft night Pagano talked about him this way:      We've all seen 4.5 guys who play 5.0.      Well,  this is a guy who times 5.0 but plays 4.5.

Now,  those times are NOT to be taken literally,  but Pagano's point is that the things you can't really measure with Morrison make him who he is.      It's not as much his physical ability as his mental ability,   and his toughness.      Grigson called him pure Chicago.

Morrison wanted to get tested on Florida's pro day.    If I remember correctly,  he had a bad staff infection and was hospitalized.     But he pulled a tube out of his chest and went and got tested.     Didn't test very well.    But the scouts were impressed with his dedication and determination.     At least,  the Colts scouts sure were!

Love the kid.     You win with guys like Morrison!

4 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

Polian let every great LB we ever drafted walked. He was a master in finding them in the draft, but never resigned him. His philosophy, not a position where you spend money? I don't agree!

They weren't great and polian wasn't going to pay them like they were.

3 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Him and Jake Scott leaving hurt

Especially since Ryan Lilja never stayed healthy after that decision. But I put that on Jake Scott as much as on the front office, they tried to keep him, and he got pouty and left. At least, that's the story...

On 9/5/2016 at 2:03 PM, Two_pound said:

I hope he starts, back when we drafted him I compared him to one of my all time favorite Colts(another linebacker from Florida in the '99 draft-Mike Peterson). Still don't understand why Polian let Mike walk after his 4th year. If Morrison is even half the player Peterson was we will have the steal of this years draft. He looked good in the preseason. Let's get him out there in week one!

Polian's quote on Peterson when he was not retained:  "Mike has been a good player for us,'' Polian told The Indianapolis Star. "But [Dungy] made the point that, at these prices, you'd like them to be great players, not good players.''

-------- As @Shafty138 said -- we had plenty of guys that played very well (or at least got a lot of tackles at OLB) after Peterson left.... it was a position which was 'masked' in Dungy's system, the guys that put up big numbers (including Peterson), IMO, were not necessarily great OLBs, they were just put in positions to put up numbers due to Dungy's system..  not that Peterson was bad, but in his 10+ year NFL career he never made a pro-bowl, was only once selected as 2nd team all-pro (never 1st team), and was not much more than an above average guy.  I liked him when he played here, but Polian/Dungy were right to let him walk, IMO.

(quote from: http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/100304/jag_16803101.shtml#.V89VL7Ff2Uk