Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your Surprise Starter

Defjamz26

52 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

My surprise starter is Dorsett starting over Moncrief as the #2 WR.  I am a pretty big Moncrief fan, I like his game a lot but Dorsett is just too fast and too good of a route runner to be limited to a #3 role.

It would be nice but even if Dorsett did outplay Moncrief I could see him getting the nod in 2WR sets because of the extra height element. Give the defense another dimension to worry about. Amazing to think he's only 22 (?) still and I really do think this year he's going to establish himself. 

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

It would be nice but even if Dorsett did outplay Moncrief I could see him getting the nod in 2WR sets because of the extra height element. Give the defense another dimension to worry about. Amazing to think he's only 22 (?) still and I really do think this year he's going to establish himself. 

The height element is nice but that is more useful in the redzone, between the 20s though, I think Dorsett's speed and route running will be the deciding factor.

And I think the Colts will run a lot of 3 WR sets this year just because of the matchup problems Hilton, Moncrief and Dorsett will present, combined with (hopefully) an improved Allen.

I think Turbin's going to get some meaningful starting reps at some point this season. It's just difficult for me to imagine Gore staying healthy for the entire year at his age. I hope he does, but that may not be very realistic. They could do the pitch count thing with Gore again like they did last year though, and then use RB by committee with Gore/Turbin/Ferguson, in which case he'd probably be able to stay healthy with no issues whatsoever. All I know is I'm getting tired of waiting around for the season to start!

On 7/1/2016 at 11:29 PM, JPFolks said:

I really wouldn't be surprised at all.  If these other guys can't supplant him, we're in trouble.  I would have much rather kept our other ILB instead of letting the Bears sign him.  I saw a discussion where he was called the under the radar FA steal of the year.  

59393987.jpg

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think the Colts will run a lot of 3 WR sets this year just because of the matchup problems Hilton, Moncrief and Dorsett will present, combined with (hopefully) an improved Allen.

To me, that's the fix, and I agree with that.

I'm not sure Dorsett is a better route runner than Moncrief, so by the same rationale, I would say that Moncrief is too good to be limited to a WR3 role. Plus, he's a prototypical X, based on how he developed last year. I don't see any justification for Moncrief not starting.

But the answer is to get them all on the field as much as possible, and then it doesn't matter. I can't imagine 11 personnel not being the best package for this team.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

To me, that's the fix, and I agree with that.

I'm not sure Dorsett is a better route runner than Moncrief, so by the same rationale, I would say that Moncrief is too good to be limited to a WR3 role. Plus, he's a prototypical X, based on how he developed last year. I don't see any justification for Moncrief not starting.

But the answer is to get them all on the field as much as possible, and then it doesn't matter. I can't imagine 11 personnel not being the best package for this team.

To the bolded.  That is why I mentioned this is the "Surprise Starter" thread, because I think he will surprise people and be the starter.  There is no justification for just about anyone mentioned in this thread.

6 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Blythe would be hard pressed to even be a backup, he is just too undersized for the position in today's NFL not just in height and weight, but arm length, hand size, and slow speed. Goode has a huge advantage in size and length alone.

I agree!  I don't know what he was smoking with those Blythe comments...

15 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The height element is nice but that is more useful in the redzone, between the 20s though, I think Dorsett's speed and route running will be the deciding factor.

And I think the Colts will run a lot of 3 WR sets this year just because of the matchup problems Hilton, Moncrief and Dorsett will present, combined with (hopefully) an improved Allen.

I don't disagree with any of this really, I think it's just a personal factor that I like having at least one taller receiver to challenge a CB, it's the same school of thought of course though that says TY Hilton can't be a #1 :P 

Agree we will see a lot of 3WR sets, let's play to our strengths after all, and improve O line or not I can't see (or hope not to see) us repeating the power run experiment. Our run game has suffered from an endemic of poor/predictable play calling, I almost feel we should be using a pass first approach to set up the run. 

20 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

My surprise starter is Dorsett starting over Moncrief as the #2 WR.  I am a pretty big Moncrief fan, I like his game a lot but Dorsett is just too fast and too good of a route runner to be limited to a #3 role.

Dorsett is not a BETTER route runner than Moncrief though, so he doesn't have the advantage there. Moncrief is too big and clutch in the red zone to be a number 3. He made a lot of big boy plays last year by using his 6'2" frame to his advantage. 

Dorsett is an automatic starter in 3 WR sets though, which should be our base package on offense. I don't think we can run 2 TE sets as much until we see a second TE step up in the passing game behind Allen.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Dorsett is not a BETTER route runner than Moncrief though, so he doesn't have the advantage there. Moncrief is too big and clutch in the red zone to be a number 3. He made a lot of big boy plays last year by using his 6'2" frame to his advantage. 

Dorsett is an automatic starter in 3 WR sets though, which should be our base package on offense. I don't think we can run 2 TE sets as much until we see a second TE step up in the passing game behind Allen.

Obviously, I disagree.  Dorsett goes into his break at much closer to full speed than Moncrief, he comes out of the breaks quicker and is more precise.  He also showed, before his injury, that he had a real knack for sensing when the defender was starting to to turn and make his break at that point.  

Taking all that into consideration, that is a better route runner.

On 7/7/2016 at 9:46 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

Obviously, I disagree.  Dorsett goes into his break at much closer to full speed than Moncrief, he comes out of the breaks quicker and is more precise.  He also showed, before his injury, that he had a real knack for sensing when the defender was starting to to turn and make his break at that point.  

Taking all that into consideration, that is a better route runner.

I don't think we have seen enough of Dorsett to definitively say he is a better route runner than Moncrief. Also to say that before Moncrief has entered his 3rd year is kinda silly as well.. Just my opinion of course though.