Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Evaluating our Friday Players....

So,  thought I'd crunch numbers of how noted evaluators have ranked out talent PRIOR tot he draft.

Green (57)                          Clark  (82)

Kiper                                62                                      47

McShay                           99                                       97

Mayock                            73                                      53

Brandt                              45                                      68

CBS Sports                      51                                      68

Avg.                                 66                                      64

For what it's worth....     in their post Day Two press conference,  Grigson said Green was a "Top-30" player on their board.    And that Clark was under consideration in the 2nd round when the picked Green.     So, clearly they see a 2nd round talent that they got in the middle of the 3rd round.     They believe they got good value,  and according to the averages posted above,  so do the evaluators.                                       

3 minutes ago, ColtsBTM12 said:

Is this based on a 1-100 scale?

These are rankings of players as compared to the other players.  An example being Kiper considered Clark to be the 47th best player in the draft ( I think that is right, the formatting is messed up on mobile). These aren't grades or anything like that. 

Just now, Derakynn said:

These are rankings of players as compared to the other players.  An example being Kiper considered Clark to be the 47th best player in the draft ( I think that is right, the formatting is messed up on mobile). These aren't grades or anything like that. 

Oh ok

13 minutes ago, MPStack said:

They are all gambles! From the #1 overall to Mr. Irrelevant. 

Some more so than others.  These guys have great physical attributes, but so did a lot of guys and they wind up in the trash bin.  

Not trashing the picks at all....just saying.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So,  thought I'd crunch numbers of how noted evaluators have ranked out talent PRIOR tot he draft.

Green (57)                          Clark  (82)

Kiper                                62                                      47

McShay                           99                                       97

Mayock                            73                                      53

Brandt                              45                                      68

CBS Sports                      51                                      68

Avg.                                 66                                      64

For what it's worth....     in their post Day Two press conference,  Grigson said Green was a "Top-30" player on their board.    And that Clark was under consideration in the 2nd round when the picked Green.     So, clearly they see a 2nd round talent that they got in the middle of the 3rd round.     They believe they got good value,  and according to the averages posted above,  so do the evaluators.                                       

I actually have Clark (57) Ranked higher than Green (75) on my board.

That said, some people mocked Green in the first round. You buy the unknown with a prospect like Green. He's tall and fast, and mold-able. 

Indianapolis Colts 
Draft picks: Ryan Kelly (No. 18 overall), T.J. Green (No. 57 overall), Le'Raven Clark (No. 82 overall) 
Day 1 grade: A 
Day 2 grade: A 
Overall grade: A 
The skinny: Ryan Kelly will be a stud in the middle, and protecting Andrew Luck became truly important after he missed time last season. The Colts required help in the secondary and Green is a versatile, hard-charging defender worth a late second round pick. Clark brings some nasty to the offensive line.

NFL Network thinks all 3 guys Colts drafted is great apparently.  And BR's Cris Simm's thinks Green as to be a Poor mans Jalen Ramsey, and rated the pick an A+. 

The grades on both these guys are everywhere on the board.  Either they love them, or hate them...doesn't seem to be an inbetween. but i see more 'love than 'hate' out there.

Honestly, i am more owrried over Clark than Green. the Ceiling with Green is so high, and raw talent with not much coaching defensively, with Pagano putting him under his wing,...I truly feel Green could be the next Ed Reed.  That guy who sits deep watches the QB, then makes the break for the ball as the QB begins his throwing action.

5 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Honestly, i am more owrried over Clark than Green. the Ceiling with Green is so high, and raw talent with not much coaching defensively, with Pagano putting him under his wing,...I truly feel Green could be the next Ed Reed.  That guy who sits deep watches the QB, then makes the break for the ball as the QB begins his throwing action.

The next Ed Reed is a bit over the top. However, Green has the ability to be a very good player at the next level. I don`t mind the pick and certainly didn`t melt like a lot of folks here once the pick was announced. I like what Grigs is doing. He`s not reaching and getting good value picks. 

27 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

That said, some people mocked Green in the first round. You buy the unknown with a prospect like Green. He's tall and fast, and mold-able. 

4 hours ago, ColtsBTM12 said:

Is this based on a 1-100 scale?

It's not a scale....    it's their overall ranking for each evaluator.

They're both top-100 players.....   and some rankings are in the 40's and 50's and so on....

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's not a scale....    it's their overall ranking for each evaluator.

They're both top-100 players.....   and some rankings are in the 40's and 50's and so on....

I am talking about my overall rankings. I have 483 total ranked. 

31 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Me too.....     I had Clark at 62....    late-2nd.

I had Green at 77th....    mid-3rd.

And yes,   I did see at least one mock (maybe more?) from, I think Bucky Brooks who had Green mocked to Denver with the 31st overall pick.     There may have been another mock or two,  but those rankings didn't seem to hold....   

I confess I was surprised when Grigson said they had him as a top-30 player on their board....

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

I am talking about my overall rankings. I have 483 total ranked. 

I know....   the Colts.com software isn't working properly....    I was responding to another poster in the thread who asked if those numbers reflected some type of scale, or grade.

I was saying, no they're rankings....     but it was another poster....   it's just not showing up on my post....

The software has been on the fritz for two days now....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know....   the Colts.com software isn't working properly....    I was responding to another poster in the thread who asked if those numbers reflected some type of scale, or grade.

I was saying, no they're rankings....     but it was another poster....   it's just not showing up on my post....

The software has been on the fritz for two days now....

Ahh. I see. 

There's no question about the upside on these two guys.  But unlike Ryan Kelly, who will step in and be our starting center for a decade or more, these two have weak areas that need to be developed before they can earn the starting position.  But our coaches see that potential and will work right away to get these guys there. 

Joey Bosa is a highly skilled and developed player.  But how much better can he get from there?  Our guys (especially Green)  need to be coached up and get experience in their weak areas.  But how much better these guys will get as they develop is incredible to envision.

First round is to make sure you get a starter day one hopefully. Done. People are kind of like smart pick when they look at Kelly, but look at the tape, and you see a road grader, who is smart, leader, with a wing span like a Condor. No one will be coming up the middle, which has been our biggest problem in protecting Luck. Hit the ball out of the Park as far as I am concerned.

Round 2, you are hoping for a starter, someone who dropped, and it happens each year, but that is usually the top of round 2. Round 2 at the back side is about guys you believe can contribute immediate, but have great upside. I saw Green in Mock drafts all over, but Brooks had him in the 1st, and so did CBS at one time.

Green with Pagano coaching him can be a stud. He was listed as the second FS behind Ramsey on CBS big board, and the guy is a stud athletically, something you cannot teach.

Clark fell for one reasons I don't know but one I do know is the offense he came from, Texas Tech, does not put him ever in a 3 pt. stance, so how will he adapt? Once again physical attributes are great. Huge wingspan and light on his feet.

I like all the picks, and one thing which is different this year, we have different coaches which I believe will be key. I think Philbin will make the OL so much better than last year. You can only do so much with one draft. This year we may have to win some games by scoring points. Next year's draft will be all about the defense, but I think we may be surprised, due to the progress of last years draft class, who was pretty good. You can't evaluate a draft class after one year.

One last thing. I watched a TV ESPN mock draft a day or two before the real deal. It featured media guys from each team's market making the picks and had McShay and Bill Polian grading those picks.

Wells, I think, predicted the Colts would pick Eli Apple, and Ryan Kelly fell out of the media's first round altogether.

Two things, Polian hated the Apple pick, said he was essentially a flag waiting to happen because he was so grabby in' coverage.

More importantly, he said the Colts NEEDED to take Kelly, and that he though Kelly could be the fourth BEST PLAYER in the entire draft. 

I don't know about that, but that was pretty strong coming from Polian

On 4/30/2016 at 7:04 AM, NewColtsFan said:
On 4/30/2016 at 4:37 PM, loudnproudcolt said:
On 4/30/2016 at 4:37 PM, loudnproudcolt said:

I loved  what the Colts did in this draft.....I believe T.J Green is Going to end up being a stud period.........