Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One week to go!!!!!!! Mock Draft

With all the wheeling and dealing, I am convinced that Jack Conklin will not fall to us. Unfortunately, we have too many needs and too few draft picks to trade up to get him. While we clearly need offensive linemen (plural!), I would not reach to fill a need. I feel there is good depth along the offensive line in this draft so there is no need to reach. 

25.) Vernon Butler DT Louisiana Tech

I am going to project a trade back with Pittsburgh, whereby we pick up a 3rd round pick. Pittsburgh is a competent secondary away from Super Bowl contention, and adding a player like William Jackson III will be a tremendous boost to their secondary. My personal favorite in this draft is Jack Conklin, and I hope more than anything he is available at #18. However, it appears more and more like he will be long gone. I also like Ryan Kelly, and I would be happy with him at #18 or even at #25, but the draft is somewhat deep on the line and I feel that Vernon Butler is an impact player for the D. Butler has been compared to Muhammed Wilkerson, which appears valid. I have watched some tape of him and he looks tenacious. While the defensive line seems to be strong, Arthur Jones cannot stay healthy, Henry Anderson is coming off a major knee injury, Billy Winn is gone, and Zack Kerry is in the final year of his contract. Personally, I feel Butler will develop into an absolute stud. Talent trumps need here.

48.) Kyler Fackrell OLB Utah State

While many of you like Nick Martin at this spot, Fackrell is another player I really like. For those who feel this position is a little high for Fackrell, I do not see Fackrell making it out of the 2nd round. He brings the versatility of playing inside or outside, he can cover well, and he brings some pop to the pass rush. We have to boost the pass rush to have a shot next year. Fackrell has the ability to develop into something special. 

82.) Connor McGovern OG/OT Missouri

I have read that McGovern is rising up draft boards. He brings versatility by playing guard or right tackle. He could be a nasty right guard. He is more athletic than Jack Mewhort, which seems to fit with the new mantra of Philbin and Chudzinski. 

89.) Joe Dahl OG Washington State

Another former offensive tackle that will move to guard in the pros. Another draft riser. Athletic lineman that thrives in pass protection. 

116.) DJ Reader DT Clemson 

Yes, another defensive tackle, but a true nose tackle that is an absolute run stuffing monster. While David Parry is very solid, Reader provides an interesting tandem at the NT position. Parry is about 6'1 and 310lbs which gives him a certain amount of leverage as a shorter player, while Reader is roughly 6'3" and 330 lbs, which represents a much bigger player to block. Regardless, adding Butler and Reader will go a long way towards enhancing the run D and freeing up our linebackers to make plays. 

155.) Matt Judon DE Grand Valley State

Tough not to pounce on Judon if he is available in the 5th round. He dominated the DII competition to the tune of 20 sacks, then showed at the Combine he has the size and athleticism to succeed in the NFL. The nice thing is that he can learn from two great players in Mathis and Cole for a year before competing for playing time in year 2. He should be a strong addition to special teams in his first year. 

239.) DeAndre Washington RB Texas Tech 

Shorter running back at only 5'8" but a solid 200 lbs. He is fast at a 4.49 forty with good hands. I feel he would be a nice backup running back that can also compete to return kicks. He seems to me to be in the Kerwynn Williams mold, who has developed into a nice backup running back with Arizona.  

I would not be that pumped if this is what happened come draft day. 

Why do we not touch a center when that is our biggest weakness on the line? Much rather see a center then two guards to replace possibly one spot on the line. Sounds like Thornton is putting in the work to improve and he might do better in a zone scheme. He might be tough for a rookie to unseat. 

Also where do you envision Judon playing for us? I like him as a late Round guy, but If you have him at de then I don't think he sees the field when we draft so many d line players. Not sure we need three new faces on the d line.

What does your final 53 look like after this??  

2 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Also where do you envision Judon playing for us? I like him as a late Round guy, but If you have him at de then I don't think he sees the field when we draft so many d line players. Not sure we need three new faces on the d line.

Judon would be a situational Edge rusher. He does not have the size to play DE in a 3-4. 

Yeah, I honestly think we might not pick up any DL this draft, but you've got us getting two in the first four rounds.  DL is already a bit of a strength and it's fairly deep IMO, though I'd be more comfortable if Anderson wasn't coming off a big injury.  I agree with Saturday above -  need to get one of the top two centers, and then add some kind of interior player by around mid draft to fill in the depth chart.   

Other than Butler I don't particulary love this draft a lineman of some sorts has to be picked top two rounds maybe u get a lineman in the third but we need a very good lineman someone who can impact I would prefer a lineman with a nasty streak although zbs tend to promote better athletes over just pure road graders 

37 minutes ago, Zach Boyd said:

Other than Butler I don't particulary love this draft a lineman of some sorts has to be picked top two rounds maybe u get a lineman in the third but we need a very good lineman someone who can impact I would prefer a lineman with a nasty streak although zbs tend to promote better athletes over just pure road graders 

Dahl and McGovern are both moving up draft boards. Both have been listed as top 100 prospects on one particular draft board. Getting both would be good value IMO. They can play multiple positions and excel in ZBS. Maybe one of them could shift to OC, but I`m not certain. I like this draft, but would probably go RB or FS at pick # 116.

1 hour ago, Zach Boyd said:

I disagree that we MUST choose an offensive lineman within the first 2 rounds. In my opinion the draft is fairly deep on the offensive line, particularly when it comes to interior linemen. McGovern does have a "nasty streak" and has the ability to start from day 1. 

Personally, I see Ryan Kelly going to either Washington or Arizona in round 1. Perhaps I am biased, but I see Nick Martin going to either San Diego or Jacksonville in early round 2. I would not reach on a center based on need. I would give Jack Mewhort a try at center before reaching. 

2 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I would not be that pumped if this is what happened come draft day. 

Why do we not touch a center when that is our biggest weakness on the line? Much rather see a center then two guards to replace possibly one spot on the line. Sounds like Thornton is putting in the work to improve and he might do better in a zone scheme. He might be tough for a rookie to unseat. 

Center is a HUGE need amongst a plethora of needs. I see more value in Butler than Ryan Kelly in round 1, and I would not be surprised if Nick Martin is gone before our 2nd round pick rolls around. 

Matt Judon is listed as a DE. He would move to OLB for us. I would be willing to take a chance on a small school convert in the 5th round given his pass rush prowess and his athletic ability. I also love the fact that he can learn behind two proven veterans in Mathis and Trent Cole for a year. 

Hugh Thornton has shown nothing in 3 years, I have ZERO faith that he will do much in year 4. I don't care how much work he is putting into lifting, watching film, etc. He cannot recognize nor block the stunt. He will absolutely NOT be difficult to unseat for playing time. 

16 minutes ago, Manning1887 said:

I disagree tdon't we MUST choose an offensive lineman within the first 2 rounds. In my opinion the draft is fairly deep on the offensive line, particularly when it comes to interior linemen. McGovern does have a "nasty streak" and has the ability to start from day 1. 

Personally, I see Ryan Kelly going to either Washington or Arizona in round 1. Perhaps I am biased, but I see Nick Martin going to either San Diego or Jacksonville in early round 2. I would not reach on a center based on need. I would give Jack Mewhort a try at center before reaching. 

Yhe 

The bottom line for us IS we need playmakers IN the top half of this draft so I guess I just dont care for this mock but IT IS just matter of opinion I certainly respect yours

Really like the Fackrell and McGovern picks and also the idea of trading back in the first to pick up extra mid round picks.

Looking at the way the draft is setting up and it looks to me like quite a few very promising players will be available in rounds 3/4.

Have to get a starting Center. Do you honestly believe that the team can go forward with Holmes and Harrison? You have to believe the team is looking for their future Center in this draft. If so, don't expect them to wait very long to get him. I do like Butler. But after that, there has to be an emphasis on the O-line, and in particular, a Center. 

I too like the draft except the first round pick. Ryan Kelly is not a reach at 25, in fact many of the so called experts have him higher than that, and we need a Center for the glue, and he is the best this year. Plug and play.

The only other small note, Difference in our first round picks is 180 pts., and they are moving up substantially, and some players who you felt would not be there are going to fall because of all the QB's who will go and other out of left field picks as always I would not move back for just a third. I would need a third and fifth, and they are still coming out ahead if you stick to the draft point chart. If someone wants to move up, there is a reason putting you in the driver seat. If Tenn. and Cleveland have shown us, the person who wants to trade is in the position without leverage. I would rather take the player at 18, if they don't give more than a third. We need quality over quantity this year.

7 hours ago, Hoose said:

Have to get a starting Center. Do you honestly believe that the team can go forward with Holmes and Harrison? You have to believe the team is looking for their future Center in this draft. If so, don't expect them to wait very long to get him. I do like Butler. But after that, there has to be an emphasis on the O-line, and in particular, a Center. 

A starting center and a high round center isn't necessarily the same thing.

Jeff Saturday was undrafted, the Broncos just won the superbowl with a lad taken in the 6th round starting every game. 

I agree that we need to improve at that particular spot but we don't have to use a 1st, 2nd or even a third round pick to get a guy who can play there. 

I like Fackrell, but I doubt he will represent the best value at #48.

I do think it would be interesting to pick up Floyd and Fackrell... If one or both fail to live up to their potential as edge rushers in the NFL, they have the athleticism to play inside... That's some measure of insurance, at least. I doubt either would have trouble getting on the field given their versatility.

I don't think that there are any game-wrecking, right out of the box, pass-rush guys in this draft, although I do think Spence and Floyd could become that type with experience. 

It started off well with the trade back for an extra pick but I'm not a big fan of what happened after that. I could live with most of it. I think we could do better at 25 & 48 but don't hate the picks.  

We have to draft a C. That what we should have done with the extra 3rd Seumola would have changed things for me. 

I don't think we take 2 DL in this draft either. I would look closer at S I think we add help on the backend along the way. We have worked out a S that is potentially BPA in rounds 2-5 

10 hours ago, Manning1887 said:

Center is a HUGE need amongst a plethora of needs. I see more value in Butler than Ryan Kelly in round 1, and I would not be surprised if Nick Martin is gone before our 2nd round pick rolls around. 

Matt Judon is listed as a DE. He would move to OLB for us. I would be willing to take a chance on a small school convert in the 5th round given his pass rush prowess and his athletic ability. I also love the fact that he can learn behind two proven veterans in Mathis and Trent Cole for a year. 

Hugh Thornton has shown nothing in 3 years, I have ZERO faith that he will do much in year 4. I don't care how much work he is putting into lifting, watching film, etc. He cannot recognize nor block the stunt. He will absolutely NOT be difficult to unseat for playing time. 

I'm still not convinced we need two guards to fill the one spot, while still not addressing center. We won't be doing our rookie guards any favors by sticking them beside holmes/Harrison. I'm still not convinced 100% that those two aren't making our guards look worse then they are. 

At worst Thornton is a decent backup, plus we will have whoever is not our RT between Reitz and Good as a backup as well. I don't think Thornton is a stud, but I think injuries have been his biggest concern. He has shown flashes of potential in between Injuries and MAYBE a scheme change is what he needs. Not betting on it, but am cautiously optimistic.  Also the stunt is much less effective vs zone blocking anyway, and while pass protection doesn't change much from scheme to scheme, the defense won't know most of the time of we are passing or throwing, meaning that we would assumedly see less stunts (and probably more pinches and focused blitzing). So if that is his biggest problem then the scheme alone should benefit him, at least a bit. 

And I'm not sure if I said it already but I am a big fan of Judon as a late Round olb. Was more just curious as to his listing and if you planned on keeping him At de. Now that I know differently, I'm all for it. I think he could be a great pass rusher after learning behind Mathis. That being said, I don't think we get much production from him (or any olb tbh) In year one. I'd say we'd be lucky to see 8 sacks between both Judon and Fackrell. Not anything against them (I actually like both prospects) but typically olb rookies don't perform well. Fackrell will be better in year two, and I'd guess Judon might take until year three to get up to speed, with him coming on stronger towards the end of year two. 

15 hours ago, Hoose said:

I certainly believe that Ryan Kelly and Nick Martin are viable options. I would not be upset if we took Kelly in the first round, I just believe that Vernon Butler would be a better pick. Personally, I feel he could become a dominant presence on the defensive line. 

While we clearly need a center, I would not reach to fill the need. I feel that Martin will go before our 2nd round pick, similar to Weston Richburg going higher in the 2014 draft than analysts believed he would go. With San Diego and Jacksonville needing a center, I am not sure he will be there. I just don't care for the other center prospects, although I could be talked into Austin Blythe later in the draft. 

Mewhort could be moved to center or another move could be made to bring someone in. I would not reach on a player to fill a position. 

7 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I'm still not convinced we need two guards to fill the one spot, while still not addressing center. We won't be doing our rookie guards any favors by sticking them beside holmes/Harrison. I'm still not convinced 100% that those two aren't making our guards look worse then they are. 

At worst Thornton is a decent backup, plus we will have whoever is not our RT between Reitz and Good as a backup as well. I don't think Thornton is a stud, but I think injuries have been his biggest concern. He has shown flashes of potential in between Injuries and MAYBE a scheme change is what he needs. Not betting on it, but am cautiously optimistic.  Also the stunt is much less effective vs zone blocking anyway, and while pass protection doesn't change much from scheme to scheme, the defense won't know most of the time of we are passing or throwing, meaning that we would assumedly see less stunts (and probably more pinches and focused blitzing). So if that is his biggest problem then the scheme alone should benefit him, at least a bit. 

And I'm not sure if I said it already but I am a big fan of Judon as a late Round olb. Was more just curious as to his listing and if you planned on keeping him At de. Now that I know differently, I'm all for it. I think he could be a great pass rusher after learning behind Mathis. That being said, I don't think we get much production from him (or any olb tbh) In year one. I'd say we'd be lucky to see 8 sacks between both Judon and Fackrell. Not anything against them (I actually like both prospects) but typically olb rookies don't perform well. Fackrell will be better in year two, and I'd guess Judon might take until year three to get up to speed, with him coming on stronger towards the end of year two. 

I have read that many scouts like McGovern as a right tackle prospect as well as a guard. That versatility adds value. I do believe that Dahl would represent a huge upgrade at guard. 

Personally, I am not that high on Jack Mewhort. I realize the coaching staff may like him and I am sure Grigson likes him. I would give him a try at center. When we drafted him, he was supposedly a versatile player capable of playing center. 

Part of this mock for me was evaluating options if we miss out on the top two centers. Personally, I do not like the centers available after Kelly and Martin. I like Butler more than Kelly in the first, but I am not against taking Kelly in the first. 

7 hours ago, akcolt said:

It started off well with the trade back for an extra pick but I'm not a big fan of what happened after that. I could live with most of it. I think we could do better at 25 & 48 but don't hate the picks.  

We have to draft a C. That what we should have done with the extra 3rd Seumola would have changed things for me. 

I don't think we take 2 DL in this draft either. I would look closer at S I think we add help on the backend along the way. We have worked out a S that is potentially BPA in rounds 2-5 

Isaac Seumalo just seems like Khaled Holmes 2.0 to me. I do not view him as an upgrade. 

Taking two defensive linemen has less to do with need and more to do with talent. The defensive line may be the position with the most talent in this draft. I think Vernon Butler could become a dominant force on the defensive line. I feel the comparisons to Muhammed Wilkerson are accurate. I also love DJ Reader as a big, run stuffing NT. Drafting these two guys dramatically improves the defense, and will better free up our linebackers to make plays. Again, Arthur Jones cannot stay healthy and Anderson is coming off a significant knee injury. 

This draft would provide us with two young pass rushing linebackers and two strong defensive line additions.