Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Trade Possibilities

This team is in no question a rebuilding phase and a lot of veteran guys could be cut/traded to relieve cap space. Among those guys are Dallas Clark, Joe Addai, Dwight Freeney, Gary Brackett.

Say the draft rolls around and the Colts agree to deal Dwight Freeney to a team like Arizona or some team needing an elite pass rusher for a 2nd and 3rd round pick in the 2012 draft. And they could honestly get more for Freeney. Would you be upset if they took that trade being that we need younger players to build around? And the fact we would be relieving all that cap room would allow us to go after FAs like we have never gone for in years. OG Carl Nicks comes to mind.

Another draft scenario is with the 34th overall pick. With as many teams that need QBs, say a guy like Tannehill or Foles is still there. If a team would be willing to trade their 2013 1st round pick would you take it considering it could possibly land us a top 15 pick in next year's draft?

I made this post because I would like to see us being more creative with trades if the opportunity presents itself.

Thoughts?

the way Brackett's contract is done, we wont really save any $ vs the salary cap by cutting him...why cut him if he still counts nearly all of his $ vs our salary cap?

I would agree if the Colts can save all the $ they would in 2013 by cutting him next season as opposed to cutting him now and only saving 200k.

This team is in no question a rebuilding phase and a lot of veteran guys could be cut/traded to relieve cap space. Among those guys are Dallas Clark, Joe Addai, Dwight Freeney, Gary Brackett.

Say the draft rolls around and the Colts agree to deal Dwight Freeney to a team like Arizona or some team needing an elite pass rusher for a 2nd and 3rd round pick in the 2012 draft. And they could honestly get more for Freeney. Would you be upset if they took that trade being that we need younger players to build around? And the fact we would be relieving all that cap room would allow us to go after FAs like we have never gone for in years. OG Carl Nicks comes to mind.

Another draft scenario is with the 34th overall pick. With as many teams that need QBs, say a guy like Tannehill or Foles is still there. If a team would be willing to trade their 2013 1st round pick would you take it considering it could possibly land us a top 15 pick in next year's draft?

I made this post because I would like to see us being more creative with trades if the opportunity presents itself.

Thoughts?

Do not see Freeney being cut or traded, maybe have his contract restuctured to help with the cap. Clark, Addai and Brackett could be traded, but I do not see them getting cut.

I would agree if the Colts can save all the $ they would in 2013 by cutting him next season as opposed to cutting him now and only saving 200k.

If you cut him after June 1st, the accelerated bonus is split up over two seasons. This would allow the Colts to see a bigger cap savings than 200k next season

If you cut him after June 1st, the accelerated bonus is split up over two seasons. This would allow the Colts to see a bigger cap savings than 200k next season

That's not fully true, yes what you are saying is right, and cutting him after June first does allow the money to be split, but the savings is still 200 k for him this season. I posted about this very scenario in my if you were the GM thread. That article Gregg wrote, when he spoke about the 14 and 15 million dollars in free cap space after making all the cuts after June 1 and using the contract exemption, means cutting Addai, Clarke, Brackett as your three exemptions, then cutting Moala, Mookie, Bullitt, Hughes, Brown, Snow, Diles, even Vinateri. I agree he needs to be cut as one of those exemptions, but the Colts can only save a max of 1.5 million per player with a max of 3 contract exemptions. But yes 1.5 is more than 200 k, so you are right in praticality. But if they kept him and then cut him next season, they would see more money in 2013 and 2014... I do believe. But I fully understand the idea behind cutting him, he is average at best and over paid, ironically like many of the Colts defensive players.

Say the draft rolls around and the Colts agree to deal Dwight Freeney to a team like Arizona or some team needing an elite pass rusher for a 2nd and 3rd round pick in the 2012 draft. And they could honestly get more for Freeney.

you are crazy if you think any team is going to give up a 2nd and 3rd or probably more for a one dimensional player that they would have to pay top money to (14 million). you do realize that the colts would still have a 5 million cap hit if he isn't on the team.

Clark, Addai and Brackett could be traded, but I do not see them getting cut.

and what sucker is going to give the colts anything for an over payed player that you don't want (probably for that reason)? and the colts still have to take the hit on the remaining signing bonus for the player.

That's not fully true, yes what you are saying is right, and cutting him after June first does allow the money to be split, but the savings is still 200 k for him this season. I posted about this very scenario in my if you were the GM thread. That article Gregg wrote, when he spoke about the 14 and 15 million dollars in free cap space after making all the cuts after June 1 and using the contract exemption, means cutting Addai, Clarke, Brackett as your three exemptions, then cutting Moala, Mookie, Bullitt, Hughes, Brown, Snow, Diles, even Vinateri. I agree he needs to be cut as one of those exemptions, but the Colts can only save a max of 1.5 million per player with a max of 3 contract exemptions. But yes 1.5 is more than 200 k, so you are right in praticality. But if they kept him and then cut him next season, they would see more money in 2013 and 2014... I do believe. But I fully understand the idea behind cutting him, he is average at best and over paid, ironically like many of the Colts defensive players.

I believe that you are incorrect. I'd have to go back and read it again though to say for sure. You would take the entire accelerated signing bonus and divide it by two. I don't recall your calculations so if you did that, I apologize.

Do not see Freeney being cut or traded, maybe have his contract restuctured to help with the cap. Clark, Addai and Brackett could be traded, but I do not see them getting cut.

Tell me, what do you think the market will be for guys like Clark, Addai & Brackett? What could the Colts see as potential return by trading any or all of those players?

But before you answer, maybe I can provide some help for you. The answer is zero, nada, zilch.