Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jared's Mock Draft No 1

I'm basically going to be doing a mock draft every Monday up until the draft. I will switch things around as we get Colts updates and when I think we may be favoring a certain position. This is my first installment. Also, I won't be trading in any of my mocks, as it's impossible to predict trades with any accuracy.

Round 1: Andrew Billings: DT, Baylor

Round 2: Nick Martin: C/OG, Notre Dame

Round 3: Kentrell Brothers: ILB, Missouri

Round 4: Joe Haeg: OT, North Dakota State

Round 5: Morgan Burns: CB, Kansas State

Round 7: De'Runnya Wilson: WR, Mississippi State

This draft would help fill a lot of our needs. We'd get that dominate D-Lineman to plug the holes in the run game in Billings, an excellent interior Lineman to help protect Luck in Nick Martin, a solid ILB that is a nice all around performer and great tackler in Brothers, an upgrade at RT in Haeg, a speedy CB that is also an excellent punt and kick returner in Morgan Burns, and a huge 6 foot 5 WR in Wilson that has untapped potential. 

I think this would be a fantastic draft, and while we would be ignoring pass rush, that would pretty much be our only weakness after this draft and we could address it solely next draft or in a couple free agents after the draft. This draft would put us on the right track to getting back to the SB in a couple years.

Love to hear your thoughts and comments, and any discussion is welcomed! 

With the exception of DL in Round 1, I really like your selection of needs to be filled and the rounds to fill them.  Swap that DT with an OLB, and I think you're right on fleek (as I believe the kids say nowadays).  (Actually, I gotta go look that up right now...)

4 minutes ago, Archer said:

With the exception of DL in Round 1, I really like your selection of needs to be filled and the rounds to fill them.  Swap that DT with an OLB, and I think you're right on fleek (as I believe the kids say nowadays).  (Actually, I gotta go look that up right now...)

Appreciate it! I just wish the selection of pass rushers was a bit better in this draft. I'm choosing Billings in this mock because the Colts have interest and I think he's a better player than Floyd or Spence. Just my opinion there though.

Although Billings is great, I'm not a ginormous fan of using a 1st round pick on a Dlineman, since the Dline as it stands is a strength of the defense. That and the DLine class is a deep and talented one this year. We could find a quality player in he 2nd. I'd rather find a player in the first who will make an impact at a position of need. Mackensie Alexander comes to mind or an OLB.

I'm not wild about Nick Martin, I think Ryan Kelly might still be kicking around at that pick, I'd rather have him. Boehm in the 4th/5th as a backup.

Brothers I like. Not sure what his coverage is like though.

Haeg I like. Not sure he's an upgrade over Good, since he looked pretty, well, good last year. But Haeg would at least be good depth.

Burns I like. The end of Dorsett and TY returning kicks and punts. And you can never have enough corners.

Wilson, purely because of his physical dimensions and potential I think will be gone around the 5th. Someone like Carolina, Detroit or Tampa who like their receivers big and rangey will pick him up.  

Good effort though :thmup:

38 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Appreciate it! I just wish the selection of pass rushers was a bit better in this draft. I'm choosing Billings in this mock because the Colts have interest and I think he's a better player than Floyd or Spence. Just my opinion there though.

I'm kinda with UK on this.  I've got nothing against Billings, but I don't feel a huge need at DL this year.  That being said, we very well could have him as the highest rated prospect on the board at that time, which could make him our selection.  If so, I gotta admit I'd feel especially bullish about our DL at that point...

Just now, Archer said:

I'm kinda with UK on this.  I've got nothing against Billings, but I don't feel a huge need at DL this year.  That being said, we very well could have him as the highest rated prospect on the board at that time, which could make him our selection.  If so, I gotta admit I'd feel especially bullish about our DL at that point...

Yeah, there's a million possibilities on what our draft could be, I just chose this one based on the Colts needs and my evaluations of these players from the tape. These are all players I feel comfortable with that can benefit the team in some way immediately. If we chose Floyd or Spence I would be ok with it, but I prefer we trade down and pick up an extra pick first. 

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

I wouldn't waste a draft pick on Wilson. Ran a 4.9 40 at the combine which is pathetic. I doubt he gets drafted.

He is a 7th rounder that would compliment Hilton and Dorsett very well with his 6'5 frame. Everyone is a bit of a lottery ticket at that point, I think you could do a lot worse. He'd most likely make the team as the 4, which is solid for a 7th rounder. Who would you take at that point?

15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He is a 7th rounder that would compliment Hilton and Dorsett very well with his 6'5 frame. Everyone is a bit of a lottery ticket at that point, I think you could do a lot worse. He'd most likely make the team as the 4, which is solid for a 7th rounder. Who would you take at that point?

All of the good 6'5" receivers like Evans and Benjamin ran in the 4.5-4.6 range. He's not making any team with that lack of speed. It may just be a 7th rounder but you could do better than that for a 7th rounder.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

All of the good 6'5" receivers like Evans and Benjamin ran in the 4.5-4.6 range. He's not making any team with that lack of speed. It may just be a 7th rounder but you could do better than that for a 7th rounder.

You are talking about first round picks, that has no comparision to a 7th round flier. Also, who would you take with our 7th? Most 7ths have a low chance of making the team. We have 3 receivers, most recievers can make the team as a 4 or 5 right now.

I really like this mock. Like, it's super good. I love Andrew Billings. In addition to him being able to basically plug up the lanes in the middle, he is also excellent at pushing the pocket, a trait that I think will help the pass rushers as well. He's a one of a kind player and I would love for him to be anchoring our Dline (plus with Langfords age and Art Jones' health, our D line might be in need of some young talent pretty soon)

The Martin pick is really good too. He has the potential to come here and start right away. I think a solid centre will make a huge difference for the line. The team seems to have confidence in Denzelle Goode, but we can't chock him up as the starter without giving him competition. Hopefully Haeg could provide that.

Don't know too much about Brothers, Burns or Wilson. Will have to give em a look.

Overall, Good job! :thmup:

21 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm basically going to be doing a mock draft every Monday up until the draft. I will switch things around as we get Colts updates and when I think we may be favoring a certain position. This is my first installment. Also, I won't be trading in any of my mocks, as it's impossible to predict trades with any accuracy.

Round 1: Andrew Billings: DT, Baylor

Round 2: Nick Martin: C/OG, Notre Dame

Round 3: Kentrell Brothers: ILB, Missouri

Round 4: Joe Haeg: OT, North Dakota State

Round 5: Morgan Burns: CB, Kansas State

Round 7: De'Runnya Wilson: WR, Mississippi State

This draft would help fill a lot of our needs. We'd get that dominate D-Lineman to plug the holes in the run game in Billings, an excellent interior Lineman to help protect Luck in Nick Martin, a solid ILB that is a nice all around performer and great tackler in Brothers, an upgrade at RT in Haeg, a speedy CB that is also an excellent punt and kick returner in Morgan Burns, and a huge 6 foot 5 WR in Wilson that has untapped potential. 

I think this would be a fantastic draft, and while we would be ignoring pass rush, that would pretty much be our only weakness after this draft and we could address it solely next draft or in a couple free agents after the draft. This draft would put us on the right track to getting back to the SB in a couple years.

Love to hear your thoughts and comments, and any discussion is welcomed! 

I love Billings. He's been my pick at 18 since he declared. A true 2 gap NT. He has elite power and speed. How many 300lbs guys can drop into coverage and chase a RB 40 yards down field? He will make the D better immediatley. He will eat up RB's and push the pocket with closing speed to get to the QB. A play maker at NT. That doesn't come around very often I hope we jump on him. He's floor is better than Parry and his ceiling is all pro. 

I'm a big IRISH fan and I'm saying no to Martin. He has not been the same since the knee surgery. It really held him back 2 yrs ago and it looked like it bothered him this year too. I'd like to see Billings NT 2nd Burns CB  3rd Brothers ILB 4th Allen/Boehm C 5th Ngakoue OLB 7th Debron OT. I would not mind picking up and extra 5th. I think we can get Thuney G/T NC ST at the top of the round. 

I like a lot of small school guys  Blount ILB and Sims CB could go late. Booker C/G Blair DE Ochi Cowser Holmes OLB. I think we end up with a solid group of UDFA's. Those guys will be drafted. 

I was going to suggest Kelly C Howard CB in the 2-3 then Dahl G/T in 4th Ngakoue OLB 5th Blount ILB 7th but I didn't want to change your draft that much. You seem high on Brothers.

There are a lot of people who don't think Kelly makes it to 48. I think he is there. I just want Billings he will really help the D.