Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

KC Chiefs receive notice they are to be penalized for tampering

Jeremy Maclin deal- 2015 free agnecy

$250,000 team fine, Andy Reid fined 75,000.  Lose 3rd round pick in 2016  and 6th rounder in 2017

Some other team personnel fined $25,000

Next violation for them or other teams will be a 2nd and 5th rounder, and higher $$ in fines.

They give teams a legal tampering window where they can talk to players, but not write contracts, then they get mad when teams have written contracts.  Get real, NFL.  If you give teams access to the players and their agents, they're going to write out terms and contracts.  Don't kid yourself.

10 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

They give teams a legal tampering window where they can talk to players, but not write contracts, then they get mad when teams have written contracts.  Get real, NFL.  If you give teams access to the players and their agents, they're going to write out terms and contracts.  Don't kid yourself.

I don't believe they are penalised for signing the contract too early though. Looks like it is because Andy Reid contacted Maclin personally, which is illegal. Also think that the Chiefs don't object to being penalised in general, but just that it is too harsh. 

(http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14938272/kansas-city-chiefs-docked-two-draft-picks-fined-tampering-pursuit-jeremy-maclin-2015)

13 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Teams can contact agents and work on a contract through them, but they can not contact the players directly, which it seems the Chiefs did 

5 hours ago, Mjølner said:

I don't believe they are penalised for signing the contract too early though. Looks like it is because Andy Reid contacted Maclin personally, which is illegal. Also think that the Chiefs don't object to being penalised in general, but just that it is too harsh. 

(http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14938272/kansas-city-chiefs-docked-two-draft-picks-fined-tampering-pursuit-jeremy-maclin-2015)

3 hours ago, bap03Colts said:

Teams can contact agents and work on a contract through them, but they can not contact the players directly, which it seems the Chiefs did 

I think that's kind of silly.  If you're going to give teams a chance to tamper legally, why restrict it?  Either let them tamper legally, or don't let them tamper until the new league year begins.  Just my opinion

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think that's kind of silly.  If you're going to give teams a chance to tamper legally, why restrict it?  Either let them tamper legally, or don't let them tamper until the new league year begins.  Just my opinion

The temptation to tamper would not go away, but the desire to hide tampering would skyrocket.  So the league allows a short time for teams and agents to negotiate terms for prospective free agents.  but nothing can be officially agreed to and announced until the official start of free agency. Not obeying is serious to the NFL. They sent a memo to all teams about this time frame.

In the memo, the NFL also reminds teams that breaking the rules of the negotiating period could be considered conduct detrimental to the league as well as a violation of the league's anti-tampering policy. Translation: Play by our rules or we're coming for your wallet and/or draft picks.  They've all been warned.