Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kiper New Big Board for 1/21/16....

Mel has his top-25 Big Board updated.....   my reminder stays in effect....   it's VERY EARLY in the draft process.    These rankings are fluid,  they will change over the next 3 months.

Here's what Mel says prior to each set of rankings....

The biggest mover this week is Carson Wentz out of North Dakota State. He's not a new name, of course -- we profiled him here months ago -- but he'd been out a while with a wrist injury and played well in his return. Wentz is no recent riser; he's been on the radar of evaluators going back to early last season. He's certainly having his moment now as the draft process approaches.

EDITOR'S PICKS

A couple reminders: General scouting reports on these players won't change much week to week, unless my overall evaluation changes. Also, the Big Board is not a prediction of where guys will be drafted, only where I have them ranked.

An asterisk denotes a player who was a junior for the 2015 season. Two asterisks denotes a redshirt-sophomore.

1. *Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State Buckeyes

No change here. Bosa's final college game was a downer, but he left it healthy. He's an explosive pass-rusher who has power and awareness and is consistently disruptive against the run. Bosa has size and versatility that will fit any scheme, as well as the ability to go around blockers or right through them. He's been double- and triple-teamed. When he's one-on-one he wins, period.

2. *Jalen Ramsey, CB, Florida State Seminoles

Status quo all season after the move back to cornerback. A does-it-all talent who had already started 28 college games heading into this season. I would have rated him the top safety taken in the 2015 draft, but this season he's at cornerback. He has the length, range and exceptional instincts to make plays all over the field; indeed, he has enjoyed an expected smooth transition to corner. He is a truly gifted athlete.

3. *Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss Rebels

Missed a lot of time, but not due to injury. And looked good upon return. The entire skill set is there. He is flexible, quick, powerful and long. I still think he's the best pass-blocker in the draft at this point in my evals, a guy who wouldn't look out of place if he had to play on Sundays this season. Nimble but strong, he has all the traits you look for at that spot.

4. DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon Ducks

I think he's a top-10 lock if he does well in workouts. Love his motor and his production while dealing with a lot of blocking attention. Similar to Bosa in that regard. At 6-foot-7 and 300 pounds, he has an impressive frame and with another year of polish could be a fit in almost any kind of system.

5. *Jared Goff, QB, California Golden Bears

I think the Senior Bowl could help Wentz and bring the group closer, but Goff is still my top QB. The arm can be special, as Goff can not only drill the ball down the field and into tight windows with ease but also has a changeup and proper trajectory. He has good movement skills and anticipation and he sees the whole field. He can also move defenders with his eyes pretty well and will continue to get better.

6. *Myles Jack, ILB, UCLA Bruins

A gifted athlete, he's a linebacker with quickness you would get from a smaller safety, and that extends to his ability to cover, as well. He can attack the backfield and is a physical kid, but he's especially good at anticipating and covering ground quickly to make plays across the formation and in coverage. Yeah, he got hurt, but he didn't fall on my board.

7. A'Shawn Robinson, DL, Alabama Crimson Tide

A versatile talent, he was special over the second half of this season. Robinson isn't just a block-occupying force against the run. If he gets to your shoulder, he can push you aside and fly into the backfield. He'll be good in any scheme and has really come on for Kirby Smart's defense.

8. Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame Fighting Irish

He marries prototypical length with impressive movement skills. He moves well laterally and can flash great hand use. I thought consistency was the problem last year, but he put things together in 2015. He could push to become the top tackle available.

9. *Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss Rebels

Has been in the top spot among wide receivers all year and has momentum into the draft process because he's healthy. He looked a little leaner this year, and showed explosiveness because of that. He has size, speed and tremendous hands. Physical player.

10. *Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State Spartans

I had him down a bit lower, but you go back to the tape and he's just not making mistakes. At 6-foot-6 and 325 pounds, he moves well -- he was a good basketball player in high school -- and is most impressive in his consistency. He just doesn't give up sacks and is showing more pop as a run-blocker. The one-time walk-on is a great story.

11. *Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida Gators

A gifted cover man, Hargreaves lacks size but mostly makes up for it with instincts and effortless fluidity in moving with receivers. Of course, at 5-foot-11 and 192 pounds, he's not small; he just lacks a margin for error compared to some. A starter since he arrived, he's still the best pure cover corner in the draft class at this point.

12.*Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson Tigers

Full arsenal. Quickness, spin moves, rips, power. Lawson also has a special knack for finding the ball early. Lawson has tremendous quickness for his size (275 pounds), which means you can use him as an edge rusher in a 4-3 setup. He'll gain polish, but there's a lot to work with here.

13. Jarran Reed, DL, Alabama Crimson Tide

Tough to move and with a great on-field instincts for the ball, Reed plays with leverage and has a sixth sense. A juco transfer who started a little slow for Smart's D last season, he has become arguably its most important player up front and has been really good every week since the light came on last year.

14. Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama Crimson Tide

The tape is really stacked up for the productive Ragland. He just makes plays. Ragland doesn't blow anyone away with speed, limiting his range to the edges, but he is quick and flows quickly to the ball, anticipating early and making plays on time. He is a great assignment football player, and he hits gaps and gets off blocks, all while maintaining vision beyond what's directly in front of him.

15. *Robert Nkemdiche, DL, Ole Miss Rebels

Had to drop him recently on off-field questions, and it's not just some lame scolding. You have to be able to trust your top players. It's all in the eval. He's a talent, but you need the reliability. Powerful, quick, football smart, disruptive when he's 100 percent, he's a talent. The draft process will be interesting.

16. *Jaylon Smith, OLB, Notre Dame Fighting Irish

He's an absolute stud, and he's essentially just here in limbo as we wait to see where his knee is at. A rare player at his position who could be drafted this high. Jumps off the screen. It's really hard to pick out serious flaws, aside from a missed tackle here and there and occasional overpursuit. Smith is making a case to be a versatile linebacker you can select safely knowing he can be plugged in right away. He can be moved around, has good length and can flat-out fly for a linebacker, with sub-4.5 speed.

17. *Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State Buckeyes

Elliott has outstanding vision, durability, patience and pad level, and we know he has breakaway speed in the open field. He shows a passion for blocking, as well as maybe the best hands of any back in this draft, both of which will endear him to evaluators. The big plays are there, but I think quickness in space will be something to watch.

18. Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State Bison

Great size, big arm, exceptional mobility, and there's enough tape where you can remove him from the surroundings with your eyes and know he's a success. Put him in the SEC or Pac-12 and you're still talking about a great prospect. Senior Bowl will be huge.

19.*Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis Tigers

A so-so end of the season didn't help, but the kid has talent. Lynch has good size with room to fill out. He not only has a strong arm but also the ability to get the ball out fast. He has the height to see the whole field quickly without creating space, and he throws well on the move when he needs that space. It sounds trite, but the talent for the position is so clear, and the decision-making has been very good.

20. Taylor DeckerOT, Ohio State Buckeyes

Decker could have been in the mix to go in Round 1 last year but came back to school and added some more good tape to his résumé. Defenders were able to use his length against him in the past, but I think he's become better with his hands, and he's a really good run-blocker. Does he stay on the left side? We'll see, but he's a solid tackle.

21. *Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State Nittany Lions

I spent more time on the Penn State defensive line toward the end of the season, and it was Johnson who really stood out even though he's often overshadowed by other names. Now definitely in the mix as a first-rounder. He won't be chasing down quarterbacks, but he'll just eat you alive in the run game if you're coming his direction.

22.**Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson Tigers

I waited a little while to add him, given he is a redshirt sophomore, but there's no way around discussing his NFL prospects at this point. I'm not sure a cornerback outside of Ramsey and Hargreaves has been better this season. He was hurting in the title game and might need to be cautious on working out in Indy. We'll see.

23. *Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson Tigers

Not only did Dodd put up almost the same numbers as his teammate Lawson, he was actually No. 2 in the nation in tackles for loss. Yep -- Lawson was the only player ahead of him. Dodd does a great job of creating space for himself and does have the speed to beat a tackle upfield and turn the corner. Give the Clemson staff credit for getting these guys so good with their hands.

24. *Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State Buckeyes

Apple has plus length, an extra gear to catch receivers who create space over the top, and is fluid enough to stick with guys all over the field. What I really like: he tackles. Apple will attack the play in front of him and make plays.

25. *Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA Bruins

Incredibly powerful with tremendous lower-body strength and also a good deal of burst off the line. When he plays with leverage, you need more than one blocker to move him; and he's tough to handle one-on-one and can throw you to the side. I had him too low at first, but after spending more time seeing him play, I have moved him up accordingly.

I like Shaq Lawson for us.  I think he'd be an impact player, and I don't think he's just limited to a 4-3 scheme.  Force against the run game along with nice pass rushing skills.  Love his size.

I project Lawson (with some additional muscle) as either a five technique in a 3-4 scheme, or as a left defensive end in a 4-3 front. Although they are two separate positions in two different defensive systems the five technique and the left defensive end both have similar core responsibilities where they are expected to help defend the run, take on double-teams, and help set the edge for a defense.

Lawson’s presence and physical style of play at the line of scrimmage is very evident on film, and in my opinion makes him well suited to play either end position no matter the scheme. To have totaled 34 and a half tackles for loss in a little over two and a half seasons is very impressive especially considering he was not even starting until this season. Although his sack numbers are up and he could very well finish this season in double figures I don’t see Lawson as a player who will finish each of his NFL seasons with double-digit sack totals.

http://www.todayspigskin.com/nfl-draft/shaq-lawson-2016-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

I somewhat like the idea of bulking him up and moving him to the interior as either a 3 or a 5.  And playing him at his traditional Strong Side DE in the 4-3.

Henry Anderson, David Parry, Kendall Langford, Arthur Jones, Shaq Lawson

Or you can leave him like he is(275lb) and play the Sam Backer in the 3-4 front.

22 minutes ago, krunk said:

I somewhat like the idea of bulking him up and moving him to the interior as either a 3 or a 5.  And playing him at his traditional Strong Side DE in the 4-3.

Henry Anderson, David Parry, Kendall Langford, Arthur Jones, Shaq Lawson

Or you can leave him like he is(275lb) and play the Sam Backer in the 3-4 front.

Im with you liking him hes a real talent , but if we do not address OL first we wont have a QB left and it wont matter. Really love the kid

2 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Im with you liking him hes a real talent , but if we do not address OL first we wont have a QB left and it wont matter. Really love the kid

We need guards and they are definitely available outside of the first round. If there are quality Guard prospects in the first they'll probably be gone by 18.   BPA is what you want and if that be somebody like Lawson then so be it.

22 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

I think Jaylon Smith drops and will be a Colt.  Obviously his knee is an issue.  Walden can man the position until he is ready.  I have not looked at our Free Agents yet.  Is Walden a FA?

He is the stud Kiper referred to

1 hour ago, Jay Kirk said:

Seems we have already addressed our offensive line by Changing our line Coach and going to a ZBS to better fit the players we do have.
  We may draft an O-Lineman in the 1st that is true, but FA and later rounds can get`er done. lol

3 hours ago, krunk said:

We need guards and they are definitely available outside of the first round. If there are quality Guard prospects in the first they'll probably be gone by 18.   BPA is what you want and if that be somebody like Lawson then so be it.

Westerman

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Seems we have already addressed our offensive line by Changing our line Coach and going to a ZBS to better fit the players we do have.
  We may draft an O-Lineman in the 1st that is true, but FA and later rounds can get`er done. lol

Yes it can as long as we don't go for has beens in FA , would agree with you. We also need quality depth on OL , we have absolutely none. Nobody wants to add to the D worse than I , but certainely not at the cost of crippling our QB .

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

So is our new O-line coach going to suit up and play center?

30 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

Is that a fact?  We need an edge rusher and he can do that well.  Just asking..not an argument.

Not 100%, but he played inside a lot this year in college. I think he could be a good edge rusher - he's definately athletic enough for it, but you would be taking him out of where he excelled at this year. He is so good for his size in space, and his size/speed would be excellent for us in covering the Gronks/Grahams/Eiferts etc... He's taylor-made for what we are trying to get out of Jackson/Freeman. Not to mention how good he is at reading the run and going and stopping it. I'm just not sure I would limit what he's capable of and just have him go after the QB. He can already do that and so much more. Let him play in space and get after the QB as well.

He reminds me a lot of CJ Mosely when he came out, but I think Jaylon is even more athletic.

26 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So is our new O-line coach going to suit up and play center?

If a Center is picked in round 1 this year, I'd imagine this forum would implode. As was posted, the Colts can get one later on in the draft or FA. If we are going to more of a ZBS, Holmes is largely back in the picture again. ZBS OL are a dime a dozen in college.

6 hours ago, krunk said:

I don't know why you'd think a good guard prospect will be gone by 18?      Most good guards go in the 2nd or 3rd round.      The elite go in the first,  but most years it's rare to find an elite guard.

Whither might be a 1st round guard this year,  but I don't see him going by 18.     He's a college tackle, so he's a projection moving inside.     Top 18?     Not for me.

But I don't see a reason to take a guard or a center in the first.    There's not one worthy of that pick,  at least not so far there isn't.     

We can't solve every problem in just one round, and I'm willing to address the line in R2.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know why you'd think a good guard prospect will be gone by 18?      Most good guards go in the 2nd or 3rd round.      The elite go in the first,  but most years it's rare to find an elite guard.

Whither might be a 1st round guard this year,  but I don't see him going by 18.     He's a college tackle, so he's a projection moving inside.     Top 18?     Not for me.

But I don't see a reason to take a guard or a center in the first.    There's not one worthy of that pick,  at least not so far there isn't.     

We can't solve every problem in just one round, and I'm willing to address the line in R2.

I couldn't agree more.....there is no Guard or Center worth taking at #18 in this draft.

30 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

If a Center is picked in round 1 this year, I'd imagine this forum would implode. As was posted, the Colts can get one later on in the draft or FA. If we are going to more of a ZBS, Holmes is largely back in the picture again. ZBS OL are a dime a dozen in college.

For one thing this forum exploding has nothing to do with who the Colts pick in round one or any other round. As far as O-linemen, good ones are hard to come by. Every team in the NFL is always on the lookout for good O-linemen. Great ones very rarely become free agents. We can all debate and have who we think lined up for the draft but none of us truly know. Will the Colts draft for need? Will they take BPA? All that depends on who is taken before the Colts pick. I really don't know if there is a center worth a first round pick but I am no expert. IMO the center position is the most glaring need on this team. Most of the sacks and pressure comes from up the middle. The old saying games are won and lost in the trenches has always been true and it is not going to change.

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's exactly the point I'm making.  There may be, but will that person be good enough that you skip over a prospect like Lawson or some of the other ones to take a guard in the first round? You can find a quality guard 2-5. Maybe even later.   I see the first round more for selecting top rated tackles.

Not going to say much, but listening to where OL come from....Arkansas Pine Bluff.....Montana State, North and South Dakota...Mars Hill...undrafted (see Jeff Saturday.)

There are only so many STARS.  This time, however we need  domination up front....worth a Mewhort pick.  

We have Head coaches coming back to their previous position expertise.  Philbin is an expert on ZB.

Superman had a nice thread on this.  If you have not it is a must read,  We have guys on this team now who can and will exceed in the ZBS.:thmup:

21 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I would...

Putting a thoroughbred horse in the middle of a defense is a waste.      We'd be turning him into a plow horse.

He's a playmaker....  keep him on the outside where he can make plays.

He'd be wasted on the inside....

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

For one thing this forum exploding has nothing to do with who the Colts pick in round one or any other round.

/Yawn.... I figured you would take my point and run it off in left field with it, but what ever... :thmup:

As far as O-linemen, good ones are hard to come by. Every team in the NFL is always on the lookout for good O-linemen. Great ones very rarely become free agents. We can all debate and have who we think lined up for the draft but none of us truly know.

Whew, glad we have that figured out...

Will the Colts draft for need? Will they take BPA? All that depends on who is taken before the Colts pick. I really don't know if there is a center worth a first round pick but I am no expert. IMO the center position is the most glaring need on this team.

Considering how Grigson has drafted since he's been here, more than likely it will be BPA with the exception of QB. No, there isn't a Center worth a 1st round pick this year and even if there was, it's not a value pick, especially not when picking in the top-20. However, yes I agree, center is a need, but again how much of the scheme change is going to favor Holmes now, especially when he already knows the offense.

Most of the sacks and pressure comes from up the middle. The old saying games are won and lost in the trenches has always been true and it is not going to change.

Are you referrencing us or in general? Harrison contributed to that problem and I doubt he's on the team come July.

1 hour ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Not 100%, but he played inside a lot this year in college. I think he could be a good edge rusher - he's definately athletic enough for it, but you would be taking him out of where he excelled at this year. He is so good for his size in space, and his size/speed would be excellent for us in covering the Gronks/Grahams/Eiferts etc... He's taylor-made for what we are trying to get out of Jackson/Freeman. Not to mention how good he is at reading the run and going and stopping it. I'm just not sure I would limit what he's capable of and just have him go after the QB. He can already do that and so much more. Let him play in space and get after the QB as well.

He reminds me a lot of CJ Mosely when he came out, but I think Jaylon is even more athletic.

I will take that.  Move him around to cause havoc.  Havoc is my middle name. :)  

21 minutes ago, krunk said:

That's exactly the point I'm making.  There may be, but will that person be good enough that you skip over a prospect like Lawson or some of the other ones to take a guard in the first round? You can find a quality guard 2-5. Maybe even later.   I see the first round more for selecting top rated tackles.

Sorry.....   it wasn't clear to me that was the point you're making.

34 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

For one thing this forum exploding has nothing to do with who the Colts pick in round one or any other round. As far as O-linemen, good ones are hard to come by. Every team in the NFL is always on the lookout for good O-linemen. Great ones very rarely become free agents. We can all debate and have who we think lined up for the draft but none of us truly know. Will the Colts draft for need? Will they take BPA? All that depends on who is taken before the Colts pick. I really don't know if there is a center worth a first round pick but I am no expert. IMO the center position is the most glaring need on this team. Most of the sacks and pressure comes from up the middle. The old saying games are won and lost in the trenches has always been true and it is not going to change.

I vote for another receiver.......

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry.....   it wasn't clear to me that was the point you're making.

Yeah you'd have to give me a Surefire Beast of a guard to skip over a top defensive talent in the first round in my eyes.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You really felt the need to write a book just as a response? Was there something in my comment you didn't comprehend?

Most of that was your "book", but I decline to take the credit for it. Funny, you comment on comprehension, about as comical as you playing the "you don't know anything until it happens" card, like normal. I'm glad you've got the whole "everybody needs OL" perspective figured out though. Seriously, great job!

2 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Most of that was your "book", but I decline to take the credit for it. Funny, you comment on comprehension, about as comical as you playing the "you don't know anything until it happens" card, like normal. I'm glad you've got the whole "everybody needs OL" perspective figured out though. Seriously, great job!

Sorry you feel the need to take this that route. It's an easy route for you it seems.

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Putting a thoroughbred horse in the middle of a defense is a waste.      We'd be turning him into a plow horse.

He's a playmaker....  keep him on the outside where he can make plays.

He'd be wasted on the inside....

Huh? He's a rangy, athletic player who's at his best in space. He's not a pure pass rusher, and never really has been. Let him attack from the middle of our defense. Like I stated in a previous post, he's a more athletic version of CJ Mosely.