Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"The Case Against Ryan Grigson"

Detectacon

Stuff like this is never going to be able to be 100% verified because of the nature of the business. The NFL is a "quiet" league where its deemed improper to air dirty laundry in public, and it's always been that way.

But that doesn't mean that it's impossible to connect the dots, and draw a general picture of what goes on behind closed doors. There's always hints.

How about when these unverified reports don't make sense?

How about when these unverified reports don't make sense?

It depends on the instance. In the case at hand with the Colts, nothing that has been said has seemed to ridiculous. Give me a specific example and I'll have a better understanding of what you're talking about.

It would be awesome if we didn't have to keep talking about Richie Incognito. They didn't want him because he's proven to be a bad teammate.

please...everyone reading through this forum....please take the time to read this post from Superman...and please concede to adhering to this request lol

It depends on the instance. In the case at hand with the Colts, nothing that has been said has seemed to ridiculous. Give me a specific example and I'll have a better understanding of what you're talking about.

How about the idea that Pagano wanted to hire the new head coach of the Cleveland Browns to be the OC?

Like I said, let's criticize Grigson for real stuff, not made up stuff. Saying the line isn't good enough is real stuff. I don't know when Luck got hurt, but assuming it was on a play where he got hit in the pocket, I'll agree that the failures on the OL led to his injury. Again, that's an assumption, but a very reasonable one.

I disagree with the criticism of the Dorsett pick. I've spent way too many words on this topic already, so I'll just say that reaching for need is bad drafting, and I'm fine with the pick.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/05/jax-ind-grades-hasselbeck-neutralizes-jags-pass-rush-moves-colts-atop-afc-south/

OG Jack Mewhort (+3.2)

OG Hugh Thornton (+3.2)

DE Kendall Langford (+3.0)

OT Anthony Castonzo (+2.9)

DE Henry Anderson (+3.3)

Top 5 performers are linemen. Looks like Grigson knows how to build trenches via draft and FA. It's up to coaches to use these players to their strength.

And I can't believe Grigson draft players not to play them. But I can believe that coach who's job is at the line is afraid to play rookies ahead of veterans. Cui prodest?

How about the idea that Pagano wanted to hire the new head coach of the Cleveland Browns to be the OC?

I guess that depends on the timing. I've heard that Pagano and Chud are actually good friends so it's likely he wanted Chudzinski anyways. He ended up taking a HC job in Cleveland for the 2013 season. I guess it would depend on when he was interested in him. It could have been before Cleveland hired him. But if they're friends then it's possible that Pagano always wanted him as his OC, which would give more credence to the reports that Grigson is in charge of hiring coaches and Chuck had no say.

How fast the Colts picked him up after he got canned says a lot though.

I guess that depends on the timing. I've heard that Pagano and Chud are actually good friends so it's likely he wanted Chudzinski anyways. He ended up taking a HC job in Cleveland for the 2013 season. I guess it would depend on when he was interested in him. It could have been before Cleveland hired him. But if they're friends then it's possible that Pagano always wanted him as his OC, which would give more credence to the reports that Grigson is in charge of hiring coaches and Chuck had no say.

How fast the Colts picked him up after he got canned says a lot though.

Chud was hired by the Browns a week before Arians was hired by the Cardinals. Before that, he was the hot commodity OC for the Panthers, and everyone knew he'd be a head coach. He wasn't going to leave Carolina to be someone else's coordinator.

We have a QB that is the best to come out in a long time. Grigs first job should be to protect our investment. He has failed at that despite what he has, or has not, done. One example of this is drafting a WR this year when it was clearly our strongest position other than QB. Now we are paying for it with a 40 year old backup making the start because the Oline Grigs has put together got our starter (and the future of the franchise) hurt. 

Except that last year, I seem to remember a lot of complaining about how bad our WRs were against the Patriots after the AFCCG and that, outside of TY Hilton, we didn't have anybody.  Moncrief had shown good signs, but no one knew how he would progress (and certainly no one had expectations that Moncrief would have better numbers than TY through 4 weeks).  So we had an aging Andre Johnson and TY Hilton heading into this years draft.  People could have pointed to Duron Carter, but his expectations were over exaggerated.  So I disagree, even if WR was our strongest position heading into the draft, it wasn't so strong as to necessitate reaching for need at another position.  

Except that last year, I seem to remember a lot of complaining about how bad our WRs were against the Patriots after the AFCCG and that, outside of TY Hilton, we didn't have anybody.  Moncrief had shown good signs, but no one knew how he would progress (and certainly no one had expectations that Moncrief would have better numbers than TY through 4 weeks).  So we had an aging Andre Johnson and TY Hilton heading into this years draft.  People could have pointed to Duron Carter, but his expectations were over exaggerated.  So I disagree, even if WR was our strongest position heading into the draft, it wasn't so strong as to necessitate reaching for need at another position.  

And where are we now? A weak line that has gotten Luck hurt and I am still not convinced on Dorsett. There is nobody on this forum that can convince me that Ryan Grigson has done an adequate job with our line. Dorsett being picked as BPA won't matter much if Luck can't stay on his feet, or healthy enough, long enough to throw to him. Our o-line has been a glaring weakness for years. I call it the curse of Tarik Glenn. We have now gotten two QB's injured behind our numerous failed attempts of putting together a rag-tag line and we have had two GM's that can't figure it out.

There is nobody on this forum that can convince me that Ryan Grigson has done an adequate job with our line. Dorsett being picked as BPA won't matter much if Luck can't stay on his feet, or healthy enough, long enough to throw to him.

I wasn't trying to convince you he has done an adequate job. But show me an OL who was available at the 29th pick and I'll show you an OL who has been miserable up to this point in his rookie season.