Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our young talent on D-Line

COLTS449

What's everybody's thoughts on our young guys? Personally I'm really excited about the potential of our D-Line. Anderson, Parry, Kerr, McGill, and Okine. All of those guys are very talented, and I think a couple will emerge as either solid starters or household names. McGill has the potential to be a game wrecker IMO. I just wanted to see if others were as excited about our young guys as I am, and I wanted to know what you guys think their ceilings are. I like the trade for Winn too. Winn's a solid rotational DT who's athletic and moves well for a 300lb'er. He's young and still hasn't reached his full potential either IMO. I cant wait to see how these guys look this year.

I would get too ahead of myself, but IMO light years better than previous regimes.

Previous regimes had no middle ground; we had players that were fast with decent pass rushing ability but zero run-stopping ability. e.g. Eric Foster, Darrell Reid, Raheem Brock, and Kenyatta Dawson at DT.

Current regime, we had Josh Chapman and Montori Hughes at NT, while having the most overrated Colts of Cory Redding and Ricky Jean-Francois at DE.

Langford is an insane UPGRADE from Redding.

Anderson and Parry both have the potential to be much like Justin Smith and Kelly Gregg.

Winn = RJF, except much lower salary.

McGill and Okine are good fresh faces to have.

Zach Kerr put up 16 tackles and 3 sacks rookie season for a 335 lbs NT, not bad numbers at all.

I like the fact that the Colts didn't stick with guys like Chapman and RJF and were willing to move on. They were part of a lot of games won with the Colts and it's not like they have been replaced with proven guys. I am looking forward to seeing how Perry and Anderson develop. I really like the Langford signing. I think he is a nice upgrade over Redding. It's a shame Art Jones is hurt again though.

As far as Kerr, McGill, Okine, and Winn i'm not necessarily expecting a whole lot. I like the fact that they are athletic playmakers though. They still have some decent size vs what the Colts typically had before Grigson-Pagano took over. Though it hasn't really translated to a better run defense.

Before I felt that the Colts needed a quality NT to anchor the defense. That's what Chapman was supposed to be...someone to eat space and free up the linebackers. I don't think they have guys who do that even though Perry and Kerr are the NTs. As others have said before they seem to be adjusting their defensive philosophy to more 1-gap. I like that shift if that is the case.