Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is the colts roster really as bad as people here say?

RockThatBlue

You have a couple of very, very curious grades.

Our RB's are an "A"....?     Seriously?     I love the Gore signing,  but an "A"...?

And our Snapper,  Overton,  not only has been to the Pro Bowl,  he just signed a new 4-year deal.   And you gave him a "C".

Our WR group,  one of the 5 best in the NFL,  gets a "B"...?

Our TE group,  one of the best in the NFL,  gets a "B"...?

Odd.   Very odd.

I debated a B on the RB grade but given Gores history of production and our draft pick who I think will be good as well I thought A was appropriate enough, One of those Im open to changing though. S=Safety.......WR while Hilton is great and Johnson is still very good. we just don't know yet for sure beyond that. TE...Coby is good...Allen is good.....Are They Jimmy Graham or Rob Gronkowski good? Not yet though they are obviously headed in the right direction

I debated a B on the RB grade but given Gores history of production and our draft pick who I think will be good as well I thought A was appropriate enough, One of those Im open to changing though. S=Safety.......WR while Hilton is great and Johnson is still very good. we just don't know yet for sure beyond that. TE...Coby is good...Allen is good.....Are They Jimmy Graham or Rob Gronkowski good? Not yet though they are obviously headed in the right direction

Sorry about confusing the S for snapper instead of safety.....   my bad.

As for WR....    you realize you've factored in Josh Robinson in order to give the Colts an "A",  but won't factor in Dorsett, Moncreif, Carter or Brown to give the WR an "A"....   lack of consistancy.

As for TE....  neither Fleener or Allen have to be as good as Graham or Gronk.   But we have two very good TE's, plus Doyle.   We're measuring groups, not just individuals.   Some media outlet (I think it was NFL.com?) just rated the Colts with the Best TE group in the NFL.      Whether you think that's too high or not, they're clearly top 3-4, and that should get an "A".

Meh...we have nobody on D who the other team needs to game-plan for...maybe Vonte.

Every other team has somebody who we need to plan to avoid or double-team or use

special blocking techniques or something.

We have no dangerous player on D...we had Mathis when he was healthy who commanded

special attention and Vonte who was to be avoided.

Now we have a bunch of good-ish D players who scare nobody and who need no special offensive scheming...good opponents just run their most successful plays and score regularly.

Screw it, i'll throw in my opinions on position by position also...lol

QB: A- (Luck is a VERY good QB, but need to work on his decision making.)

RB: B (Gore is solid, and we have a variety of compliments behind him)

WR: A (could be A+, depends on the development of Dorsett and Carter)

TE: A (best tandem in the NFL, not an 'A' individually, but as a set I don't think there is a better combo in the NFL)

OL: C+(the Left side is solid, and Mewhort has possibilities, but real ?'s at center and RT right now)

DL: C+ (Langord and Jones are good at thier positions, with possible quality rotations, but NT needs someone to step up)

OL: B+ (Assuming Mathis returns fully, Him and Cole are solid, with rotation being decent)

MLB: B- (Jackson is good vrs the run, Freeman good in coverage, and Irving will be solid run support)

CB :A (Going 3 deep, our corners are considered by many as the deepest in the NFL,though Jets have the best combo in nfl)

S:  C+ (Adams is a B+, but the ?'s remain for the other spot.  Hopefully one will prove solid at the position)

ST: A (punter Kicker and Long snapper are best in nfl as a tandem.  But we need more consistency out of a returner.)

Coaching: B (I love our coaches, but taking personal feelings away, they lack showing me the ability to make good in-game adjustments.)

This roster is that from bad. It's just not as developed as it should be in year 4 of the Grigson era,specifically on defense. Part of the reason for the setback is the 2013 draft class, and trading a first for Richardson.

Yeah, true enough. In 2013 we drafted Werner in the 1st and had no 2nd. In 2014 we had no 1st.

Kinda screwed up the chances of getting an impact player or two which is what we need on D.