Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Discussion: trading picks for current NFL players DURING the draft

Thank god the draft is a mere 21:44:00 away!

I just thought I would start some conversation and pick fellow forum members' brains on this subject as I am seeing some possible player moves being made during the draft for the right price... ie. Mychal Kendricks, Muhammad Wilkerson, Martellus Bennett, Adrian Peterson(maybe; doubt it), and Dion Jordan(sooo close, Philly!)

What I want to know is how you all feel about the idea of mortgaging most of a draft for a couple of proven players in their craft. Not saying it has to be us but, I imagine it is the best way to get a good gauge on the subject matter.

Rumor is Kendricks can be had for a 2nd and who knows what the going price is for Wilkerson. Regardless, they are both filling a need and have the track record to back themselves up with. At what point would you say "We are giving too much away for PLAYER/s X/Y/Z"?

I guess what I really want to know is... where is the line? where do you stop being excited and start feeling agitated at the loss of current/future picks? I imagine a deal to land Wilkerson would involve high value picks this year and in the future as well. Where do you say "NOOOOPE!"?

Feel free to give other examples of players for picks(real or imagined scenarios). All I ask is that your musings into the subject matter be serious in consideration.

SIDE NOTE

I have seen some mention Kenny Vacarro in a similar situation as I have described. I remember thinking how much I hoped we could have drafted him but, his NFL career has not been so good. In this scenario Vacarro has no track record to back himself up with. What would it take for you to be ok with his acquisition in a draft trade? Has he done too little for you to even consider it?

SIDE SIDE NOTE

This is just me being a goof ball but, I keep wondering what it would be like to draft Gerod Holliman and James Sample as our new FS and SS duo. They played together at Louisville and I wonder what impact it would have on an NFL team to keep them together if any at all. Probably none but, it was cool to keep Luck together with Fleener and even Whalen. It would be neat to see some previous chemistry work for us on the defensive side, ya know?

I think it is a combination of value a player holds compared to the value of pick(s) you are giving up. There is also other variables as in: is it a position of need, scheme fit, player age, draft depth, salary cap, and player contract terms. In my opinion I don't see any other linebackers in this draft that is worth a 2nd round pick besides Anthony and Perryman but they are unknowns. Therefore, with ILB being a position of need on our defense I would consider the Kendricks trade. He is a proven player that has experience in the 3-4 scheme and is excellent in coverage and is 24 years old. The part that makes the trade seem bad is he only has one year left on his contract so he will need a modest extension almost right away, and for that reason I don't see the Colts making the trade. I think he is worth a 2nd rounder though, would rather get him for a 3rd though.

To your question where to draw the line. I believe mortgaging the future is never a good option, and giving up multiple picks for most players is never a good choice. I believe it has to be a game changer or elite player to give up multiple picks. I believe when you give up a high round pick in the coming draft I begin to question the trade. If you give up multiple high picks I begin to get agitated.

I'd cry tears of joy if we ever landed Kenny Vaccaro

Hoping we get Quandre Diggs in the UDFA pool this year

:Cry: :Cry: :Cry:

You do know Kenny Vaccaro was THE worst safety in the NFL last year right? He was so bad, that he got benched in one of the worst secondaries in the NFL.

Pass

I like the idea, but assuming it's the right deal.  Usually teams try to ship off underachievers or poor work ethic/attitude players in those situations tho.  If that's the case, no thanks.  Or trading the first 2 picks and one additional for a "high hopes" guy!  Im not into all that.

I don't think people would argue if the Colts were in a blockbuster deal landing a JJ Watt type talent for 3 #1's and a couple mid-round picks.  The way I see it, if we got somebody that high caliber were unstoppable and those #1's are actually #2's cause were going to the SB every year, and it fill a need on the DL.

I also wouldn't mind trading a guy like Werner and our #1 to move up into the top 15 to get a BA LBer tho.