Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breakdown of MSU CB Trae Waynes

trae-waynes-ncaa-football-wyoming-michig

Size: Waynes has good length for the position at 6'1". He has an incredibly thin frame. He likely played near 180 at MSU. Lanky, and doesn't have preferred build. (3/5)

Athleticism: Top notch athleticism. Ran a 4.31 at the combine. Ups for days. He'll be able to go downfeild with basically an WR in the NFL and fight for jump balls with that vertical explosion and length. (9/10)

Fluidity: Waynes is one of two first round corner prospects to run a slower 20-yard shuttle than 40 yard dash. I know what you are thinking "that's just because he ran a fast 40" well no, Waynes' 20-yard shuttle of 4.39 was the 2nd worst time for corners (only 4 corners have had a worse time since 2012). His 3-cone was also very bad at 7.06. His lack of change of direction and lateral agility is very apparent on film. He's very good at covering streaks down the sideline and basically any type of route that requires speed and awareness to cover, but when WRs make quick breaks at the top of their routes, Waynes almost always resorts to grabbing. A lot of things can be worked around for corners, agility and fluidity are not among those. Gives up windows of separation on short and intermediate throws. His stiff hips are definitely a problem. Won't be a good slot corner in the pros. Skillset likely limits him to an outside position. (4/10).

​Physicality: Waynes is one of the more physical corners I've watched this year. He does a great job jamming at the line and throwing timing off between the WRs and the QB. He takes advantage of every inch of the contact zone. Does a great job forcing WRs to the boundary of the play. But, he's extremely grabby down the field. He, more than any one else in this class, is going to be a PI machine. His lack of change of direction ability limits him when WRs make their breaks. He's going to grab. Almost every time. (7/10)

Technical Ability: Aside from his love of grabbing WRs at the top of their routes, Waynes is a very good technician. He stays onto of the WRs shoulder on fly routes, succeeds using both 1 and 2 handed jams. Keeps eyes trained on WR when he's in his back pocket. Doesn't bite on play-fakes, head-fakes, or double-moves. At his best playing and a press-man corner. Shouldn't be in a zone or off-man defensive scheme; it's a waste of his abilities. I already downgraded him for his predisposition to grab at the top of routes, so I'm not going to do it here again. (8/10)

Run Game/Tackling: Inconsistent but bordering on good. Sometimes tackles high and occasionally takes a bad angle to the ball. Nothing to worry about as he doesn't shy away from contact and his tackling just needs a little work. Can build up speed an explode through ball carriers. Doesn't shed blocks quick enough. (4/5)

Ball Skills: Good hands, tracks the ball in the air, and has the ability to high-point. Anticipation isn't all there. (4/5)

Consistency: Waynes is as consistent corner as you'll ever watch. His game film is extremely boring because he's basically never targeted. Smothers anyone put across from him. (5/5)

GIFs: 

Waynes misses a tackles: http://zippy.gfycat.com/ElasticZealousIchidna.webm

Slides off of Ezekiel Elliot: http://zippy.gfycat.com/FailingLastFinnishspitz.webm

"I'm not falling for it": http://zippy.gfycat.com/ImprobableGlitteringFoxterrier.webm

Nice tackle for a short gain: http://zippy.gfycat.com/EachNastyAfricanjacana.webm

Conclusion: 

Grade: 44/60. 1st round pick. 

Waynes is an extremely athletic press-man corner. His play strength, explosion, and pure speed will make him a high first round pick. He'll likely (like a lot of press corners) struggles to cover smaller, quicker receivers with great cutting ability and lateral agility. He's at his best when he's allowed to play bump-and-run and cover deep routes down the field. He's a technician who uses length and athletic ability to smother anyone he's put across. 

NFL Comparison: Patrick Peterson, ARZ

Loving the new format.

Thanks. I usually do it this way for my own personal notes, but did it a different way than the original series.

I'll use this format for the rest of the guys people have requested and likely use this format for next year as well. Think it's better aestheticly and easier to follow.

Thanks. I usually do it this way for my own personal notes, but did it a different way than the original series.

I'll use this format for the rest of the guys people have requested and likely use this format for next year as well. Think it's better aestheticly and easier to follow.

Yeh, it's especially nice with the grades and being broken down to their individual aspects. Makes for some enjoyable reading, got my procrastination game on point.

Close 2nd. I like Kevin Johnson better.

Great. Thank you. Many believe the Vikings may draft Waynes to play opposite Xavier Rhodes. It sounds like you don't see him being much better than some of the other corners (Peters, Jones). If so, I hope we trade down.

Great. Thank you. Many believe the Vikings may draft Waynes to play opposite Xavier Rhodes. It sounds like you don't see him being much better than some of the other corners (Peters, Jones). If so, I hope we trade down.

I don't know anything, but I'd bet he's long gone by 29.

trae-waynes-ncaa-football-wyoming-michig

Size: Waynes has good length for the position at 6'1". He has an incredibly thin frame. He likely played near 180 at MSU. Lanky, and doesn't have preferred build. (3/5)

Athleticism: Top notch athleticism. Ran a 4.31 at the combine. Ups for days. He'll be able to go downfeild with basically an WR in the NFL and fight for jump balls with that vertical explosion and length. (9/10)

Fluidity: Waynes is one of two first round corner prospects to run a slower 20-yard shuttle than 40 yard dash. I know what you are thinking "that's just because he ran a fast 40" well no, Waynes' 20-yard shuttle of 4.39 was the 2nd worst time for corners (only 4 corners have had a worse time since 2012). His 3-cone was also very bad at 7.06. His lack of change of direction and lateral agility is very apparent on film. He's very good at covering streaks down the sideline and basically any type of route that requires speed and awareness to cover, but when WRs make quick breaks at the top of their routes, Waynes almost always resorts to grabbing. A lot of things can be worked around for corners, agility and fluidity are not among those. Gives up windows of separation on short and intermediate throws. His stiff hips are definitely a problem. Won't be a good slot corner in the pros. Skillset likely limits him to an outside position. (4/10).

​Physicality: Waynes is one of the more physical corners I've watched this year. He does a great job jamming at the line and throwing timing off between the WRs and the QB. He takes advantage of every inch of the contact zone. Does a great job forcing WRs to the boundary of the play. But, he's extremely grabby down the field. He, more than any one else in this class, is going to be a PI machine. His lack of change of direction ability limits him when WRs make their breaks. He's going to grab. Almost every time. (7/10)

Technical Ability: Aside from his love of grabbing WRs at the top of their routes, Waynes is a very good technician. He stays onto of the WRs shoulder on fly routes, succeeds using both 1 and 2 handed jams. Keeps eyes trained on WR when he's in his back pocket. Doesn't bite on play-fakes, head-fakes, or double-moves. At his best playing and a press-man corner. Shouldn't be in a zone or off-man defensive scheme; it's a waste of his abilities. I already downgraded him for his predisposition to grab at the top of routes, so I'm not going to do it here again. (8/10)

Run Game/Tackling: Inconsistent but bordering on good. Sometimes tackles high and occasionally takes a bad angle to the ball. Nothing to worry about as he doesn't shy away from contact and his tackling just needs a little work. Can build up speed an explode through ball carriers. Doesn't shed blocks quick enough. (4/5)

Ball Skills: Good hands, tracks the ball in the air, and has the ability to high-point. Anticipation isn't all there. (4/5)

Consistency: Waynes is as consistent corner as you'll ever watch. His game film is extremely boring because he's basically never targeted. Smothers anyone put across from him. (5/5)

GIFs:

Waynes misses a tackles: http://zippy.gfycat.com/ElasticZealousIchidna.webm

Slides off of Ezekiel Elliot: http://zippy.gfycat.com/FailingLastFinnishspitz.webm

"I'm not falling for it": http://zippy.gfycat.com/ImprobableGlitteringFoxterrier.webm

Nice tackle for a short gain: http://zippy.gfycat.com/EachNastyAfricanjacana.webm

Conclusion:

Grade: 44/60. 1st round pick.

Waynes is an extremely athletic press-man corner. His play strength, explosion, and pure speed will make him a high first round pick. He'll likely (like a lot of press corners) struggles to cover smaller, quicker receivers with great cutting ability and lateral agility. He's at his best when he's allowed to play bump-and-run and cover deep routes down the field. He's a technician who uses length and athletic ability to smother anyone he's put across.

NFL Comparison: Patrick Peterson, ARZ

Grabbing WRs at the top of their route will get you killed in the NFL