Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How much, if at all, do you think comp. picks factor into FA decision making?

I have to think it factors a lot for Grigson. He's made comments before ellusing that he likes to sign released player because they don't factor into the comp formula.

As far as I can tell, the only players we signed who had an expiring contract was Gore and Irving. AJ, Langford, Herremans, and Cole were all cut.

We could realistically make the case of getting a 6th round comp pick for the loss of Redding, Brown, and eventually Nicks. 

do comp picks even out from the number of players lost to the number of players you signed? like say teams signed two of your FAs and you signed two FAs yourself

No. It's based on dollars. You can lose an elite player, gain two low level guys, and get comp picks.

Nicks has to find a team before June, otherwise he won't count. Weirdly, Crabtree is still available, too.

I think Grigson would choose a released player over a true UFA if he thought they were equal or close, but I don't think he decided to go after released players to the exclusion of true UFAs. I do think there are a couple players he wants, but would rather wait til June so they don't count against us.