Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't ignore value.

This isn't directed to anybody here obviously, but just one of my philosophies for the draft. Basically BPA.

• The 49ers entered this off-season "stacked" at ILB. So much they were looking to trade a guy who started a bunch of games last year. As of now it's arguably their biggest need. 

• Last off-season the Colts were "stacked" at WR and then when the mid-point of the season came round, they couldn't get any WRs open on short or intermediate routes. 

What am I getting at with these two examples? Don't ignore value. If there's a guy ranked high on your board and he falls into your lap, don't hesitate to take him. This is why I'm not opposed to the Colts taking a CB in the first round if players like Peters, Darby, or Johnson are available. Don't pass on premier talent because you seemingly don't need that position at the moment. What seems like a strength today can be the weakness of your team tomorrow. 

What am I getting at with these two examples? Don't ignore value. If there's a guy ranked high on your board and he falls into your lap, don't hesitate to take him. This is why I'm not opposed to the Colts taking a CB in the first round if players like Peters, Darby, or Johnson are available. Don't pass on premier talent because you seemingly don't need that position..

Agreed.  Even if that person is a RB :)   QB is the exception -- try gain value through trade in that case.

This isn't directed to anybody here obviously, but just one of my philosophies for the draft. Basically BPA.

• The 49ers entered this off-season "stacked" at ILB. So much they were looking to trade a guy who started a bunch of games last year. As of now it's arguably their biggest need. 

• Last off-season the Colts were "stacked" at WR and then when the mid-point of the season came round, they couldn't get any WRs open on short or intermediate routes. 

What am I getting at with these two examples? Don't ignore value. If there's a guy ranked high on your board and he falls into your lap, don't hesitate to take him. This is why I'm not opposed to the Colts taking a CB in the first round if players like Peters, Darby, or Johnson are available. Don't pass on premier talent because you seemingly don't need that position at the moment. What seems like a strength today can be the weakness of your team tomorrow. 

Couldn't be said better.