Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't ignore value.

This isn't directed to anybody here obviously, but just one of my philosophies for the draft. Basically BPA.

• The 49ers entered this off-season "stacked" at ILB. So much they were looking to trade a guy who started a bunch of games last year. As of now it's arguably their biggest need. 

• Last off-season the Colts were "stacked" at WR and then when the mid-point of the season came round, they couldn't get any WRs open on short or intermediate routes. 

What am I getting at with these two examples? Don't ignore value. If there's a guy ranked high on your board and he falls into your lap, don't hesitate to take him. This is why I'm not opposed to the Colts taking a CB in the first round if players like Peters, Darby, or Johnson are available. Don't pass on premier talent because you seemingly don't need that position at the moment. What seems like a strength today can be the weakness of your team tomorrow. 

What am I getting at with these two examples? Don't ignore value. If there's a guy ranked high on your board and he falls into your lap, don't hesitate to take him. This is why I'm not opposed to the Colts taking a CB in the first round if players like Peters, Darby, or Johnson are available. Don't pass on premier talent because you seemingly don't need that position..

Agreed.  Even if that person is a RB :)   QB is the exception -- try gain value through trade in that case.

This isn't directed to anybody here obviously, but just one of my philosophies for the draft. Basically BPA.

• The 49ers entered this off-season "stacked" at ILB. So much they were looking to trade a guy who started a bunch of games last year. As of now it's arguably their biggest need. 

• Last off-season the Colts were "stacked" at WR and then when the mid-point of the season came round, they couldn't get any WRs open on short or intermediate routes. 

What am I getting at with these two examples? Don't ignore value. If there's a guy ranked high on your board and he falls into your lap, don't hesitate to take him. This is why I'm not opposed to the Colts taking a CB in the first round if players like Peters, Darby, or Johnson are available. Don't pass on premier talent because you seemingly don't need that position at the moment. What seems like a strength today can be the weakness of your team tomorrow. 

Couldn't be said better. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Thread of the Week

• Topics

• Don't 4 get the TE group and JT. Don't sleep on Hull either.
    • Latu looks like an immediate contributor, especially on passing downs. I think AD will supplant Pierce by season's end. The OL depth will come in handy.   The Colts certainly improved through the draft, but so did other teams as well. I don't think they improved more than other teams. But more importantly, I am not sure the ceiling of this team (outside of AR of course) raised all that much this offseason. And that's what I was hoping to see. This has been my "grievance" with Ballard. Relying almost solely on current players and younger guys to develop (like the rookies and DBs). They aren't really accounting for other team's improving...or for the difference in schedule IMO (like HOU did with their offseason moves).   I guess it all depends on how one viewed last season...and where you think the current floor is. But I agree that they overachieved...and that opponent QBs played a big role in that. Many of the bad QBs they faced either gave away games or just weren't competitive. And that's tough to bank on happening again.   The margin for error is pretty small when you are a 9-win team looking to make the playoffs. And having a few games flip from being easy one year to more challenging the next...could be the difference between 5-6 wins and 9-10 wins.   It really is going to come down to AR. Can he stay healthy? Can he reach his upside? It's always going to come down to this anyways, but there are certainly outcomes between great and bad where a good overall roster can make the difference.
    • Browns game, I will leave it at that. Cost us a playoff spot.
    • I agree with this in general, even though I pushed back on the Leonard release at the time. However, the defense's ability to cover the middle of the field didn't really improve. My point is that Leonard doesn't bear all the sins of the LBs, and the guys who are still here -- particularly Franklin -- definitely need to be better in coverage.   The secondary is still a question mark. The hope is that we get back some of the more talented players, and it raises the level of play. But I thought we needed another veteran; we still don't have one, and Ballard has indicated that they're not in a hurry to make any new acquisitions. So it's up to the guys in the building to step it up considerably. Similar thinking from me on the pass rush, although we added Latu.
    • So….   As of now, Pierce is WR4.   He’s going to have to up his game to get more playing time and opportunities.     1.   Pittman 2.   Downs 3.   Mitchell 4.   Pierce 5.   Gould 6.   Dulin   It is — by far — the best WR room the Colts have had in Ballard’s time.   AR will have plenty of different types of receivers to throw to.  Steichen can play mad scientist every week. 
  • Members