Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Area of need that could CHANGE the field of play....

bluephantom87

With a strong draft the remaining needs like a strong safety, a possible upgrade at nt, a rb of the future and building the trenches on BOTH sides of the ball along with the FA's already brought in this could be the best Colts team in the Grigs era on paper. Now the one position that has been overlooked is a returner. I mean a REAL returner whose specialty is fielding kicks. A guy that has natural instincts and speed to be elusive. NOT just someone the staff places back there because he can catch. This is an area I wouldn't mind Grigs bringing in the TOP return man from the CFL or any other league. (college included) The Colts haven't had a real threat since T Wilkins in the late 90's. I give Grigs credit because he TRIED with Cribbs but he'd been out the game too long and wasn't the same game changer as before. Thoughts?

90% are in the end zone. In those cases I'd rather the KO man kneel, avoid the risk of fumble or injuries. Cribbs was returning balls that were 7 and 8 yards deep, barely making the 20. His average looked good but our average starting position wasn't.

For PRs, I want a guy with sure hands and football sense. Half of the decent returns are called back because of a penalty anyway. The difference between Griffs 7 yard average and the league leading 13 isn't worth an extra player to me.

I'd rather use the spot on depth and a good ST tackler than a specialty player. Just MHO.

With a strong draft the remaining needs like a strong safety, a possible upgrade at nt, a rb of the future and building the trenches on BOTH sides of the ball along with the FA's already brought in this could be the best Colts team in the Grigs era on paper. Now the one position that has been overlooked is a returner. I mean a REAL returner whose specialty is fielding kicks. A guy that has natural instincts and speed to be elusive. NOT just someone the staff places back there because he can catch. This is an area I wouldn't mind Grigs bringing in the TOP return man from the CFL or any other league. (college included) The Colts haven't had a real threat since T Wilkins in the late 90's. I give Grigs credit because he TRIED with Cribbs but he'd been out the game too long and wasn't the same game changer as before. Thoughts?

You forgot Brad Pyatt who was a very good returner in 2003. To bad injuries ended his career.

No

You forgot Brad Pyatt who was a very good returner in 2003. 

There's a name I haven't heard in a LONG time. His return is what sparked the greatest regular season comeback in history @ Tampa on MNF. An unsung hero if there ever was one. 

You forgot Brad Pyatt who was a very good returner in 2003. To bad injuries ended his career.

You are correct I did forget about him because Brad showed a lot of promise until the neck injury. Let me clarify to some I'm not saying spend a draft pick on a returner if so maybe in the 7th or bring in someone after the draft. As far as Cribbs I think he came in trying to PROVE he was still that guy which led to some poor decisions fielding kicks. I just don't think you can sit out of football for more than a season without some type of training camp (see K Collins when Manning went down) to get you back into the speed of the game. I always liked Cribbs but I think he's lost a step and is getting up there in age as far as a returner.  

You are correct I did forget about him because Brad showed a lot of promise until the neck injury. Let me clarify to some I'm not saying spend a draft pick on a returner if so maybe in the 7th or bring in someone after the draft. As far as Cribbs I think he came in trying to PROVE he was still that guy which led to some poor decisions fielding kicks. I just don't think you can sit out of football for more than a season without some type of training camp (see K Collins when Manning went down) to get you back into the speed of the game. I always liked Cribbs but I think he's lost a step and is getting up there in age as far as a returner.  

There was a reason Cribbs didn't have a job. The Browns tried making a receiver out of him and he didn't do too well with that. He might be OK if he quit taking risks. His 1st couple of games he looked good then kind of went down from there. Hopefully a receiver that can return kicks can be found in the draft or after more cuts are made like you said.