Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Roger Goodell direct Winston to stay home on Draft Day?

NFLfan

Not sure if this will matter, but this year's draft is in Chicago, not Radio City Music Hall. It's possible that the rowdy element from Jets/Giants fans won't be an issue this year. But there's no telling.

I suspect the Bears faithful will go a little crazy when Chicago's pick at #7 comes around.......

If Bears fans don't like it,  we'll all hear about it!

Since when do draft picks talk at the draft?

There are several ways it could happen. 1.) He gets booed and screams the F word at the crowd or gives them the finger, or 2.) When he gets interviewed by Deion Sanders or whoever is doing it this year and gets asked how it feels to be the no1 pick and what should we expect from you going forward, he could say anything as well (the unpredictability factor). Like I said, I'm speculating, but there's got to be some grain of truth here or Goodell wouldn't be thinking of doing something like this.

I just believe, at this point at the very least, that something went on in their meeting that caused Goodell not to trust Winston. If he does indeed do something at the draft, being the very first pick, it will cause the whole draft to go down in flames. It would be awkward for the next three hours as Winston in all likelyhood would be the first pick. It could also potentially cause ratings to go down depending on what he said or did. Something caused Goodell not to trust Winston, and that's what we are trying to figure out.

There are several ways it could happen. 1.) He gets booed and screams the F word at the crowd or gives them the finger, or 2.) When he gets interviewed by Deion Sanders or whoever is doing it this year and gets asked how it feels to be the no1 pick and what should we expect from you going forward, he could say anything as well (the unpredictability factor). Like I said, I'm speculating, but there's got to be some grain of truth here or Goodell wouldn't be thinking of doing something like this.

Wow.

None of that would happen. He's not a wild animal that got out of his cage. 

From Mike Florio:

"The thinking is that it won’t be ideal for Goodell’s still-fragile image to be seen hugging and then presenting a jersey to the controversial Winston, who has been accused of rape, has admitted to stealing crab legs, and has yelled an obscene phrase on a table in the Florida State student union."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/21/so-whose-idea-was-it-for-jameis-winston-to-pass-on-the-draft/

Just out of curiosity, what exactly did Mr. Winston yell inside the student union anyway? I wanna know for proper context purposes. Was it an insensitive joke about women right on the heels of the dismissed sexual assault allegation at Florida State University? Whoever knows just send me an e-mail on my forum profile page. Thank you. 

Just out of curiosity, what exactly did Mr. Winston yell inside the student union anyway? I wanna know for proper context purposes. Was it an insensitive joke about women right on the heels of the dismissed sexual assault allegation at Florida State University? Whoever knows just send me an e-mail on my forum profile page. Thank you.

I don't know. I think if you do a search online, you probably can easily find what you're looking for.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/fsu-qb-jameis-winston-shouted-an-obscene-phrase-in-the-student-union-adding-another-negative-headline-to-his-scrapbook-215057695.html

If you follow the links in that story, you'll see exactly what he yelled, and what it was all about.

I respect "Prime Time" for his shutdown corner skills as a member of the Niners & Cowboys during his career, but I would ROTF if a draft pick in the 1st round pick said something unflattering about Deion Sanders while being interviewed by #21. I swear that man loves the sound of his own voice. 

Couldn't Jameis Winston just stay home & Skype his response online? Just have the league put his face on a jumbo tron large screen. Problem solved. Film stars do that all the time when they can't be present for an award.

Once you've seen 1 player hug the Commissioner, you really haven't missed much if you ask me. 

Your thread has an interesting dynamic considering that the public has heard nothing from Goodell about Deflate Gate or Greg Hardy's NFL domestic abuse punishment NFLfan. 

I'll watch the draft on NFL Network sure, but I'm not crushed if a kid chills with their family & friends instead because once they get their playbook their bonding session with their relatives is pretty much over for awhile as you meet your new teammates, coaching staff, memorize formation schemes, & find a place to live in your new football city. 

Speaking of Greg Hardy, I just read testimony from Nicole Holder, his former girlfriend, jesus...This man has no idea how to treat a woman. Throwing her around like a sack of potatoes...Dragging her by the hair from room to room in a state of drunken rage...Choking the woman you claim to love?...Dude, you should be serving time. He makes me sick. Thank God, INDY never signed him to a contract. 

Personally I think Winston is being smart.  

There is still a chance, even though it's seeming more unlikely now that he takes a tumble on draft day due to his off the field stuff.  

On top of that his off the field stuff will follow him and people are gonna hound him about it when he's drafted.  

Honestly unless you know for sure you are going in like the top 10 I wouldn't show up on draft day.  There is always one guy who falls a lot further then what he or anyone else thought and the media loves to try to embarrass him and treat him like he's the last kid selected for a softball team or something like that.  

Stay home and don't give them the pleasure of showing your face every 5 min and speculating why everyone hates you.  

Couldn't Jameis Winston just stay home & Skype his response online? Just have the league put his face on a jumbo tron large screen. Problem solved. Film stars do that all the time when they can't be present for an award.

Once you've seen 1 player hug the Commissioner, you really haven't missed much if you ask me. 

Wherever he has his draft party, there will be a live feed, and media, and interviews, and whatnot. Him not being at the actual draft doesn't really change anything.

Wherever he has his draft party, there will be a live feed, and media, and interviews, and whatnot. Him not being at the actual draft doesn't really change anything.

My problem with it is simple.  He's going to get drafted to be the face of the franchise that picks him, and he won't be at the first media 'obligation' for his new team.  He can't run from interviews, and the NFL can't hide him.

My problem with it is simple.  He's going to get drafted to be the face of the franchise that picks him, and he won't be at the first media 'obligation' for his new team.  He can't run from interviews, and the NFL can't hide him.

The draft is only the first media obligation for the new team if the team wants him to be there. The majority of players drafted aren't at the draft. That includes future starting QBs.

If Tampa decides to draft him #1, and they want him to be there, they'll tell him that, and he'll go. More likely, if they decide to draft him, they won't care where he is because it doesn't matter. He'll fly in to Tampa the next day, and they'll do all their press stuff and photo-ops there, and it's all the same. It's really a non-issue. 

The idea that the NFL is trying to hide him is really just something someone made up on the Internet. Jameis Winston was the star of media day at the Combine, and in all respects, did a fantastic job in front of the cameras. He was also well spoken of by teams who interviewed him. This idea that he is a potential embarrassment for the league, that he'll do something crazy or inappropriate, is pretty ridiculous.