Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reitz agrees to contract extension (Merge)

Dustin

Still not a horrible contract. All the guaranteed money is this year . We can cut him next year with a zero cap hit. These Colts know what they are doing. You have a banged up , high priced RT that is pretty good if healthy. If he's a walking injury .. like 2014 , you have a stop gap guy to plug in at 3.3 mill. Plus you have a wild card in U. John. We have a RG (Thornton , Herremans )that will cost peanuts , or maybe Reitz wins that job. 

IMO... you're right this doesn't look like a bargain . But when you look at the whole picture and realize it's really a 1 year deal if we don't need him ... it's not so bad. 

How are you figuring "zero cap hit"...??

The spotrac page for Reitz shows a 2016 cap hit of $2.25m   and a 17 cap hit of $2.5m

I suspect you understand this better than I do,  so if you could explain this, I'd appreciate it...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The spotrac page for Reitz shows a 2016 cap hit of $2.25m   and a 17 cap hit of $2.5m

I suspect you understand this better than I do,  so if you could explain this, I'd appreciate it...

Guaranteed money is only in the first year I'm guessing?

What I mean is if the Colts don't want to keep Reitz in 2016 at his cost of 2.25 , they could cut him with no cost or dead money hitting the 2016 cap. It's how Grigson has been writing these free agent contracts for the most part . The guaranteed money is mostly gone after year 2 and that allows the colts to move on from that player with hurting the team. Cherlius is an example of the opposite. He had a ledge signing bonus that was amortized for the length of his 5 year contract. It's hits our cap at 2.9 mill per year. He has 3 years left on his contract , so if we cut him now the "cap hit" or dead money would be 3 X's 2.9 mill or 8.7 mill.

Hope that helps

Yeah .. that was the Cleveland or Dallas game I think. Then he seemed to play better . Started all 3 playoff games at RT.. no ?

He was a disaster against  NE. Always been a fan and had high hopes, but... RT therefore LT. No no no. lol

Cinci only rushed 4 guys and we had 6-7 blockers usually, so of course Luck had lots of  time.

Denver also rushed 4 a lot and again we had 6+ blockers and used TE chips to protect Luck.

Teams rush 4 against Andrew a lot. They stay in their rush lanes to keep Andrew in the pocket, so our sacks allowed numbers crept down.

They still were consistently able to drive our tackles back into Andrew to get pressure and they also got consistent pressure driving our plethora of RG`s into Andrew.