Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reitz agrees to contract extension (Merge)

Dustin

Still not a horrible contract. All the guaranteed money is this year . We can cut him next year with a zero cap hit. These Colts know what they are doing. You have a banged up , high priced RT that is pretty good if healthy. If he's a walking injury .. like 2014 , you have a stop gap guy to plug in at 3.3 mill. Plus you have a wild card in U. John. We have a RG (Thornton , Herremans )that will cost peanuts , or maybe Reitz wins that job.Ā 

Ā 

IMO... you're right this doesn't look like a bargain . But when you look at the whole picture and realize it's really a 1 year deal if we don't need him ... it's not so bad.Ā 

Ā 

How are you figuring "zero cap hit"...??

Ā 

The spotrac page for Reitz shows a 2016 cap hit of $2.25mĀ Ā  and a 17 cap hit of $2.5m

Ā 

I suspect you understand this better than I do,Ā  so if you could explain this, I'd appreciate it...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ā 

The spotrac page for Reitz shows a 2016 cap hit of $2.25mĀ Ā  and a 17 cap hit of $2.5m

Ā 

I suspect you understand this better than I do,Ā  so if you could explain this, I'd appreciate it...

Ā 

Guaranteed money is only in the first year I'm guessing?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

What I mean is if the Colts don't want to keep Reitz in 2016 at his cost of 2.25 , they could cut him with no cost or dead money hitting the 2016 cap. It's how Grigson has been writing these free agent contracts for the most part . The guaranteed money is mostly gone after year 2 and that allows the colts to move on from that player with hurting the team. Cherlius is an example of the opposite. He had a ledge signing bonus that was amortized for the length of his 5 year contract. It's hits our cap at 2.9 mill per year. He has 3 years left on his contract , so if we cut him now the "cap hit" or dead money would be 3 X's 2.9 mill or 8.7 mill.

Ā 

Hope that helps

Yeah .. that was the Cleveland or Dallas game I think. Then he seemed to play better . Started all 3 playoff games at RT.. no ?

Ā 

Ā He was a disaster againstĀ  NE. Always been a fan and had high hopes, but... RT therefore LT. No no no. lol

Ā Cinci only rushed 4 guys and we had 6-7 blockers usually, so of course Luck had lots ofĀ  time.

Ā Denver also rushed 4 a lot and again we had 6+ blockers and used TE chips to protect Luck.

Ā Teams rush 4 against Andrew a lot. They stay in their rush lanes to keep Andrew in the pocket, so our sacks allowed numbers crept down.

Ā They still were consistently able to drive our tackles back into Andrew to get pressure and they also got consistent pressure driving our plethora of RG`s into Andrew.