Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With The Number 3 Draft Pick?

I wish you were the GM of an AFC South team....... other than the Colts.

You don't wish that, I would take Peyton Manning with me, and let your savior Andrew Luck lead the Colts to multiple loosing seasons! Brackett's cap hit is rediculous for an injury prone average linebacker at best, it would be better to trade him then to realease him and have that nice cap hit. Freeney also has a rediculous cap hit of $19 mil next year, thats over the top for a situational pass rusher, I am suggesting things to rebuild for years to come, while improving short term. Who are you to bash me, you don't put together any good ideas of what to do.

BASE SALARY S. BONUS MISC. BONUS CAP HIT

2010800,0002,400,000-3,200,000

20112,000,0002,400,000-4,400,000

20125,000,0002,400,000-7,400,000

20136,600,0002,400,000-9,000,000

20146,600,0002,400,000-9,000,000

For 2012, cutting him this offseason he would cost 7.2 in a dead cap space hit.

For 2012 letting him remain on the roster is a cap hit of 7.4.

Cutting him after 2012 would be a 4.8 dead cap hit compared to a 9.0 cap hit if he plays.

FireJimCaldwell provided these stats in the Gary Brackett thread

The pressure of this 1st pick is really get to all of us. Normally it is a blessing, but this year it feels more like a curse.

Yeah cause people are torn, most who want Luck, still want Manning. But those of us who want just Manning, want to trade out of the pick for the bounty!

So Freeney and Mathis have no trade value?

True. Honestly you would probably get a 5th for them maybe a 4th at best. Remember Holmes was traded to the Jets for a 5th and he was a SB MVP! Plus a young talented receiver with years ahead of him. The value of trades are in the picks or technically prospects, not the veteran players.

Even if we could get a 3rd out of them, why? Our D sucks as it is...why trade away our best players for a mid round pick? Makes more sense to trade the guy who has never played a down in the NFL for multiple early picks.

True. Honestly you would probably get a 5th for them maybe a 4th at best. Remember Holmes was traded to the Jets for a 5th and he was a SB MVP! Plus a young talented receiver with years ahead of him. The value of trades are in the picks or technically prospects, not the veteran players.

Even if we could get a 3rd out of them, why? Our D sucks as it is...why trade away our best players for a mid round pick? Makes more sense to trade the guy who has never played a down in the NFL for multiple early picks.

Bro, you should know after posting on multiple of my If you were the GM threads, I want Luck traded for a bounty of picks and veteran impact players! I am looking at the situation as far as massive cap hit Freeney and Mathis represent, for situational pass rushers...

You don't wish that, I would take Peyton Manning with me, and let your savior Andrew Luck lead the Colts to multiple loosing seasons! Brackett's cap hit is rediculous for an injury prone average linebacker at best, it would be better to trade him then to realease him and have that nice cap hit. Freeney also has a rediculous cap hit of $19 mil next year, thats over the top for a situational pass rusher, I am suggesting things to rebuild for years to come, while improving short term.

Who are you to bash me,

you don't put together any good ideas of what to do.

I............. am WORDOFMOUTH!! just kidding.

I'm not trying to bash you, and you are right, I don't have a plan because I don't follow College ball closely enough know A) how good Luck really is and B) how good the other players we could get in a trade for him are. So Luck is certainly not my savior.

I think you are missing the point of my criticism however. I am not criticizing your stategy of trading verterans for picks, if Manning is gone, I think it is a good idea, in some cases. Where you are missing the boat, in my opinion, is in your overvaluing of our vets. You make good cases for each guy not being valuable to us, as you did with our linebackers in another thread, and then expect some team to give us a high draft pick for them. Unless you are dealling with the Raiders, it doesn't work that way. That is why I said that I wished you were the GM of another AFC team ( tongue in cheek of course) becasue non of those guys would give us the picks that you propose.

Bro, you should know after posting on multiple of my If you were the GM threads, I want Luck traded for a bounty of picks and veteran impact players! I am looking at the situation as far as massive cap hit Freeney and Mathis represent, for situational pass rushers...

We do need to create cap space, I agree. However I would look at the guys who arn't pulling their weight to do it, opposed to the few who actually are. Guys like Bracket, Bullet, Diem, Addai, Clark. If those guys want to remain in Indy then they must restructure their contracts. Those are the guys I would look at instead of Freeney and Mathis, simply because if we where to trade/release/not resign those guys then we need to get another impact player at those positions to fill in the spot which will cost money or a high pick. We could restructure Freeney's contract and not resign Mathis, that would create quite a bit of room with just those 2 moves.

We have Addai's replacement in Brown and carter, Brackett's= Angerer, Bullet= Draft/FA, Clark=Tamme and Diem could stay with a restructured contract for depth. Thats just my opinion but I think it makes more sense to open up cap that way. If we could get a great trade then im all ears, unfortunately i dont see it happening.

I............. am WORDOFMOUTH!! just kidding.

I'm not trying to bash you, and you are right, I don't have a plan because I don't follow College ball closely enough know A) how good Luck really is and B) how good the other players we could get in a trade for him are. So Luck is certainly not my savior.

I think you are missing the point of my criticism however. I am not criticizing your stategy of trading verterans for picks, if Manning is gone, I think it is a good idea, in some cases. Where you are missing the boat, in my opinion, is in your overvaluing of our vets. You make good cases for each guy not being valuable to us, as you did with our linebackers in another thread, and then expect some team to give us a high draft pick for them. Unless you are dealling with the Raiders, it doesn't work that way. That is why I said that I wished you were the GM of another AFC team ( tongue in cheek of course) becasue non of those guys would give us the picks that you propose.

I would have made drastic changes years ago, and put together a balanced team! I should be a GM! Maybe I did over estimate the value of several players, I am just going by years past and what other players at similar positions brought i.e. a Seymour to the Raiders for a first rounder, I thought surely Freeney is frist rounder quality... so in that sense you are probably right, but I know my thoughts and logic are strong to support my calls for action, maybe my value is a little off.. haha

I don't think we'll win another game, but if we do get the #3 pick then trade down to the Dolphins for their 1st which will be around 8, their 3rd and next years 1st and 5th round. Just a random trade but if they do that our draft could be

1st - Claiborne CB

2nd - Barron SS

3rd - Crick DE/DT

3rd - Streeter WR

4th - Lonnie Edwards OG

If it were a perfect world, then yes. Those two players would upgrade our secondary immediately. However, I can't see Mark Barron slipping that far. He is even better playmaker at this stage of his career than guys like Eric Berry, Laron Landry and Earl Thomas were, who all went in the top half of the first round in their respective classes. Streeter is a bit of a strecth for the third round. He brings good deep speed, but this does not always translate to big plays (see Oakland)

If it were a perfect world, then yes. Those two players would upgrade our secondary immediately. However, I can't see Mark Barron slipping that far. He is even better playmaker at this stage of his career than guys like Eric Berry, Laron Landry and Earl Thomas were, who all went in the top half of the first round in their respective classes. Streeter is a bit of a strecth for the third round. He brings good deep speed, but this does not always translate to big plays (see Oakland)

Barron is projected to go in the middle of the 2nd round so it wouldn't surprise me at all if we had an opportunity to draft him with the 33rd pick. Streeter is not just fast, he's 6-5. He's also had as good a year as any Miami Hurricanes WR has had, a school where Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, Santana Moss, Michael Irvin have played for. This was his first year getting major amounts of snaps, and it was surprising that he declared to the draft. If he had stayed I believe he would have been a 1st round pick next year.