Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Michael Sam entering veteran combine. How many participants will there be?

ReMeDy

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000474580/article/michael-sam-invited-to-veteran-combine

What kind of "veteran" combine allows players who haven't even taken a single NFL snap to enter? I thought the NFL would impose age/experience restrictions. It will take the NFL forever to test all the applicants. I can see players all throughout Canada and couch potato players entering this.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000474580/article/michael-sam-invited-to-veteran-combine

What kind of "veteran" combine allows players who haven't even taken a single NFL snap to enter? I thought the NFL would impose age/experience restrictions. It will take the NFL forever to test all the applicants. I can see players all throughout Canada and couch potato players entering this.

From what I've read the NFL invites the participants and they've only invited a 100 or so at this point. Maybe it'll help a couple of guys get training camp invites but other than that I doubt it really leads to anything significant. I'm interested to see if Tim Tebow is invited. If Vince Young is going to be there, then why not?

Sam will obviously headline an intriguing first class at the veteran combine, a project aimed at giving a second chance to players who have washed out of the NFL too quickly.

Publicity stunt.  Inviting Sam guarantees media coverage.  I doubt a single attendee will parley this into a training camp invite...except maybe Sam.  Again, for all the wrong reasons.