Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pats Chaplain helped team deal with adversity

amfootball

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=12250363&src=desktop

I did not see this posted anywhere but it appeared just a couple of days before the Super Bowl. The story is about Pats chaplain Jack Easterby and how he has helped the team cope with adversity for the past two years. He was the chaplain for the Chiefs prior and had helped them deal with the suicide of Jovan Belcher, the LB who shot his girlfriend and then himself.

It is a long read but well worth the time especially how he helped Brady deal with deflategate prior to the SB and also his involvement with Belichick and the rest of the team.

Here are some of the best quotes:

The Patriots, since his hire, say they are not the same, no matter what happens in Super Bowl XLIX and no matter the result of Ted Wells' investigation into whether the team illegally deflated footballs in the AFC championship game. Owner Robert Kraft calls Easterby a "wonderful individual," and Brady has told friends Easterby is one of the main reasons for the Patriots' success this past year. Safety Devin McCourty calls him "a godsend to this team" who has "helped create better men."

Like Belichick and Brady, Easterby is obsessed with process -- only his process is self-actualization. He challenges those he counsels to be better people the way coaches challenge them to be better players. He speaks to them in language they're familiar with, with occasional cuss words and the drive of a former athlete. He's written a devotion called the Competitor's Creed. I am a Competitor now and forever. I am made to strive, to strain, to stretch and to succeed in the arena of competition. ... My attitude on and off the field is above reproach, my conduct beyond criticism. Whether I am preparing, practicing or playing, I submit to God's authority and those He has put over me. I respect my coaches, officials, teammates and competitors out of respect for the Lord.

For a moment, put aside the report that 11 of 12 Patriots footballs in the AFC championship game were found to be underinflated. Stop wondering what might have happened in the 90 seconds a Patriots ball boy is reported to have spent in the men's room. Now imagine life with no benefit of the doubt. With guilt by association. With people dismissing your life's work as a byproduct of a culture of cheating. And with the presumption that you're shady because your organization's past indiscretion is hanging over your every move as you prepare to play in the biggest game of the year.

It's exhausting. It's dispiriting. And blind anger -- the clichéd us-against-them mentality -- only goes so far. Belichick always tells his players nobody is going to feel sorry for them.

But Jack Easterby does.

Throughout the Deflategate investigation, Easterby has become something more than a character coach. Like a defense attorney, he serves his clients come what may. If the Pats are exonerated, he'll have helped them weather the storm. If not, he will embrace the chance to help them learn from it. You could see traces of Easterby's language in the language of the Patriots during Super Bowl week. Brady first admitted he "personalized" attacks on his character, a pristine reputation that some seemed so eager to trash. But he soon refocused. "Everyone will say, 'God, it's been a tough week for you,'" he said. "But it's been a great week for me, to really be able to recalibrate the things that are important in my life and understand the people that support me, and love me, and care about me."

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=12250363&src=desktop

I did not see this posted anywhere but it appeared just a couple of days before the Super Bowl. The story is about Pats chaplain Jack Easterby and how he has helped the team cope with adversity for the past two years. He was the chaplain for the Chiefs prior and had helped them deal with the suicide of Jovan Belcher, the LB who shot his girlfriend and then himself.

It is a long read but well worth the time especially how he helped Brady deal with deflategate prior to the SB and also his involvement with Belichick and the rest of the team.

Here are some of the best quotes:

The Patriots, since his hire, say they are not the same, no matter what happens in Super Bowl XLIX and no matter the result of Ted Wells' investigation into whether the team illegally deflated footballs in the AFC championship game. Owner Robert Kraft calls Easterby a "wonderful individual," and Brady has told friends Easterby is one of the main reasons for the Patriots' success this past year. Safety Devin McCourty calls him "a godsend to this team" who has "helped create better men."

Like Belichick and Brady, Easterby is obsessed with process -- only his process is self-actualization. He challenges those he counsels to be better people the way coaches challenge them to be better players. He speaks to them in language they're familiar with, with occasional cuss words and the drive of a former athlete. He's written a devotion called the Competitor's Creed. I am a Competitor now and forever. I am made to strive, to strain, to stretch and to succeed in the arena of competition. ... My attitude on and off the field is above reproach, my conduct beyond criticism. Whether I am preparing, practicing or playing, I submit to God's authority and those He has put over me. I respect my coaches, officials, teammates and competitors out of respect for the Lord.

For a moment, put aside the report that 11 of 12 Patriots footballs in the AFC championship game were found to be underinflated. Stop wondering what might have happened in the 90 seconds a Patriots ball boy is reported to have spent in the men's room. Now imagine life with no benefit of the doubt. With guilt by association. With people dismissing your life's work as a byproduct of a culture of cheating. And with the presumption that you're shady because your organization's past indiscretion is hanging over your every move as you prepare to play in the biggest game of the year.

It's exhausting. It's dispiriting. And blind anger -- the clichéd us-against-them mentality -- only goes so far. Belichick always tells his players nobody is going to feel sorry for them.

But Jack Easterby does.

Throughout the Deflategate investigation, Easterby has become something more than a character coach. Like a defense attorney, he serves his clients come what may. If the Pats are exonerated, he'll have helped them weather the storm. If not, he will embrace the chance to help them learn from it. You could see traces of Easterby's language in the language of the Patriots during Super Bowl week. Brady first admitted he "personalized" attacks on his character, a pristine reputation that some seemed so eager to trash. But he soon refocused. "Everyone will say, 'God, it's been a tough week for you,'" he said. "But it's been a great week for me, to really be able to recalibrate the things that are important in my life and understand the people that support me, and love me, and care about me."

Why do you insist bringing up anything and everything to deflect the investigation? For one thing any subject relating to religion is off limits in this forum.

Why do you insist bringing up anything and everything to deflect the investigation? For one thing any subject relating to religion is off limits in this forum.

Whoa now. A moderator has already commented on this thread and found no issue with it. Religion isn't being discussed either, it is about a man like you and me being inspirational for a team in need. And I don't see any deflecting going on either, just a story about a leader helping out his team like he helped out others in the past. This thread is just fine.

Whoa now. A moderator has already commented on this thread and found no issue with it. Religion isn't being discussed either, it is about a man like you and me being inspirational for a team in need. And I don't see any deflecting going on either, just a story about a leader helping out his team like he helped out others in the past. This thread is just fine.

I am entitled to my opinion. A team in need? ha ha

haha "pristine reputation"....ask Richard Sherman or Terrell Suggs about that

It is a pristine reputation.  You're talking about someone that has done everything the right way for his entire life, would never be in trouble with the law, plays his position at one of the most elite levels the league has ever seen, genuinely supports and cares for his teammates, dedicates a lot of time and money to charities and is just an all around stand up human being.

If Brady talks trash, he does it where you're suppose to do it.. ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD.    15 years of doing everything right, everything the way you should do it as someone who can be looked up to and emulated for others to be successful... and people have spent the last 3 months trying to destroy all of that over something that hasn't even been proven true and after more and more evidence comes out, is looking like it was all nonsense... or even deeper, and was a setup from the beginning..

Disgusting.

lol, i love how any time someone posts something that shows the Patriots in a positive light, you have the same Colts fans come running and screaming that people are trying to deflect from the investigation.

Enjoy your little hate-filled witch hunt while it lasts, because its only going to last another month at most and then you'll have to deal with the horrifying reality that the Patriots didn't do anything wrong, the Colts got curb stomped by a vastly superior team and that Brady is the best QB in the history of the game.

lol, i love how any time someone posts something that shows the Patriots in a positive light, you have the same Colts fans come running and screaming that people are trying to deflect from the investigation.

Enjoy your little hate-filled witch hunt while it lasts, because its only going to last another month at most and then you'll have to deal with the horrifying reality that the Patriots didn't do anything wrong, the Colts got curb stomped by a vastly superior team and that Brady is the best QB in the history of the game.

If you say so. That's your opinion but not mine. Every team has a Chaplin and because the Patriots have one it makes them special? You seem to forget this is not a Patriots forum. It's illogical for you to expect everything to be peaches and cream when you enter. Anyone who reads my comments knows I don't care for the Patriots and it's not going to change. Deal with it.

If you say so. That's your opinion but not mine. Every team has a Chaplin and because the Patriots have one it makes them special? You seem to forget this is not a Patriots forum. It's illogical for you to expect everything to be peaches and cream when you enter. Anyone who reads my comments knows I don't care for the Patriots and it's not going to change. Deal with it.

I do deal with it, which involves calling you and other people like you out every time you post something obnoxious.  Deal with it.

My intent here was not about the Pats or the investigation at all but this chaplain and his approach to not only helping the Pats the past two seasons but the Chiefs as well. It is quite a compelling profile of a man who has a very difficult job IMO and seems to be doing a fantastic job. For the players to credit him for helping them win the championship probably says more than anything.

It is a pristine reputation.  You're talking about someone that has done everything the right way for his entire life, would never be in trouble with the law, plays his position at one of the most elite levels the league has ever seen, genuinely supports and cares for his teammates, dedicates a lot of time and money to charities and is just an all around stand up human being.

If Brady talks trash, he does it where you're suppose to do it.. ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD.    15 years of doing everything right, everything the way you should do it as someone who can be looked up to and emulated for others to be successful... and people have spent the last 3 months trying to destroy all of that over something that hasn't even been proven true and after more and more evidence comes out, is looking like it was all nonsense... or even deeper, and was a setup from the beginning..

Disgusting.

It's your opinion the Patriots are pristine. That opinion is not shared by more than just Colts fans. We all know you think Tom and Bill are Gods that cant do anything wrong so it is what it is. A set up? What a joke.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, February 22, 2015 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, February 22, 2015 - personal shot

I do deal with it, which involves calling you and other people like you out every time you post something obnoxious.  Deal with it.

Funny you should use the word obnoxious. I have another one for you, arrogant.

It's your opinion the Patriots are pristine. That opinion is not shared by more than just Colts fans. We all know you think Tom and Bill are Gods that cant do anything wrong so it is what it is. A set up? What a joke.

I didn't say the Patriots were pristine, I said Brady has been pristine his entire career.