Previous Installments:

The RBs - Hub Post

The WRs - Hub Post

Denzel Perryman, Off-Ball LB, Miami

hi-res-4ec7e779a2d313fded80e0b2526315f1_

Games watched: vs Auburn, vs Texas A&M, vs LSU

The Good:

Great size at 6'5" 245 lbs.

Great athlete. Reportedly runs a 4.5 and has a 40" vertical. Athleticism evident when coming downhill.

Lines up all over the field. Even sometimes as an edge rusher. Versatile.

ex. [Lined up over the LT] http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=254404&gif=VagueFrequentBoutu

Non-stop motor.

He has enough pop to bring down power runners. He's not Denzel Perryman, but he can lay the wood every once in a while.

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=254404&gif=KaleidoscopicAdoredArachnid

Even though he's limited in coverage because of lack of range and questionable instincts, he hasn't been picked on by QBs. Can run with TEs down the field. It's when he has to actually cover routes that he has trouble.

Good strength to take on Olineman at the point of attack.

The Bad:

Doesn't have active hands as a blizter. Relies on his athleticism too much by trying to beat them purely on his speed. Not many pass rush moves.

Not rangy. Doesn't have great lateral athleticism. Whatever speed he does posses is purely straight line.

Questionable instincts in coverage.

Not a thumper.

Frustrating player to watch because you know he can be much better than he currently is.

Where he wins and Conclusion:

McKinney is similar to Perryman in where he wins. He'll succeed if he goes to a team that understands that even though he is a great athlete, he will likely never be good in coverage. McKinney fits as a Mike in a 3-4 attacking defense (Colts, Cardinals) where he'll be able to use his athleticism as a blitzer (both run and pass) and keep the play in front of him. His ability to lineup as an edge rusher will give him value as a 3rd down player.

Projected Round : 1st

NFL Comparison: Rolando McClain

Previous Installments:

The RBs - Hub Post

The WRs - Hub Post

The Good:

Great athlete. Reportedly runs a 4.5 and has a 40" vertical. Athleticism evident when coming downhill.

ex. [Lined up over the LT] http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=254404&gif=VagueFrequentBoutu

Non-stop motor.

He has enough pop to bring down power runners. He's not Denzel Perryman, but he can lay the wood every once in a while.

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=254404&gif=KaleidoscopicAdoredArachnid

Even though he's limited in coverage because of lack of range and questionable instincts, he hasn't been picked on by QBs. Can run with TEs down the field. It's when he has to actually cover routes that he has trouble.

The Bad:

Doesn't have active hands as a blizter. Relies on his athleticism too much by trying to beat them purely on his speed. Not many pass rush moves.

Not rangy. Doesn't have great lateral athleticism. Whatever speed he does posses is purely straight line.

Not a thumper.

Frustrating player to watch because you know he can be much better than he currently is.

McKinney is similar to Perryman in where he wins. He'll succeed if he goes to a team that understands that even though he is a great athlete, he will likely never be good in coverage. McKinney fits as a Mike in a 3-4 attacking defense (Colts, Cardinals) where he'll be able to use his athleticism as a blitzer (both run and pass) and keep the play in front of him. His ability to lineup as an edge rusher will give him value as a 3rd down player.

Actually thought he was more of a fit in a 4-3 (like the Bengals) where he has OLBs to help make up for his lack of range. If his flaws are range and coverage (could be fixable) then it makes sense to put him in a scheme where his responsibilities are limited by having 2 other LB's to help.

Previous Installments:

The RBs - Hub Post

The WRs - Hub Post

The Good:

Non-stop motor.

The Bad:

Not a thumper.

So, you clearly see him as an ILB and not an OLB?

I know most evaluations see him inside.    But I've seen a few that say he could play outside?    I'm just asking.

I know you like him as a 1st round player,  and I know you think he fits the Colts' scheme,  but if you're in the War Room on draft day and he's available,  do you call his name for the pick?      Again,  just askin....

So, you clearly see him as an ILB and not an OLB?

I know most evaluations see him inside.    But I've seen a few that say he could play outside?    I'm just asking.

I know you like him as a 1st round player,  and I know you think he fits the Colts' scheme,  but if you're in the War Room on draft day and he's available,  do you call his name for the pick?      Again,  just askin....

Depends on the scheme. He's not an ideal fit as a SAM in a 3-4, I mean, he could probably be decent at it, but it's still not ideal. He could, IMO, play strong-side linebacker on a defense that implores a lot of 4-3 under looks (Oakland, Seattle). 

If McKinney is capable of playing inside in our 3-4 scheme then he is my second choice after Perryman, over Dawson and Kendricks.

After watching these four players specifically I think Bernardrick possesses similar fire to Perryman, with the ability to back it up.

Kendricks is so fast he moves like a DB and Dawson is very athletic but neither seem like they are capable of shoring up the leak in the middle of our D.

I have been hearing names like Kendricks, McKinney, and Perryman over and over again. If we were to take a different position during the 1st round, who are other ILB that we should take instead... say in rounds 3-5?

How about Stephone Anthony, Clemson?

I like Anthony. He can cover and makes stops in the run game. But I watched his tape against FSU and all the flaws I heard, I saw an example of in that game. His main being his diagnosis skills. He looks lost a lot of times and sees instead of reacts. He also has this bad habit of flailing his hands around too much after the snap, makes him look really nervous.

I'd still take him though if other guys are gone.