Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting Profile: Denzel Perryman, Off-Ball LB, Miami

I'm changing up my format from now on. 

I had more gifs. Hit F5. Lost them. Redeemed a few, but had like 5x as more. 

The RBs - Hub Post

The WRs - Hub Post

hi-res-886b387174c03a1385aae3cb58b73394_

vs Louisville, vs Nebraska, vs Duke

The Good:  

250 lbs of pure malice. He will destroy you.

Knocks over olineman like bowling pins. Totally creates havoc for runningbacks and passers when coming downhill. Functional strength is amazing. 

ex.  [blowing up the center] http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253694&gif=OblongSatisfiedBilby

ex.  [Clowning the LT] http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253694&gif=ConsciousFinishedEchidna

Completely stops runners when he has a clean shot at them. Nobody really escapes his grasps. 

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253694&gif=FreshSpecificDromaeosaur

Extremely aggressive.

Does a great job of sniffing out run plays. 

Does a good job in short zone where he can keep the play in front of his and use his athleticism to close on the ball fast. 

Does a fantastic job as a blizter. Here is a gif of him getting some pressure up the middle lined up over the RG:

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253694&gif=GlassGlossyArrowcrab

The Bad: 

Completely mismatched against slot receivers and athletic TEs in coverage.

A little too aggressive. Sometimes overruns plays.

A few times he tries to run around blockers. This creates huge running lanes for runningbacks where he should be:

ex. http://draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253694&gif=ImpossibleLittleLamprey

Loses a ton power when forced to move backwards or laterally. Gets washed out of running plays by pulling guards. Needs to be coming downhill to actually use that power. 

Saw him lower his head when aiming for a tackle and losing sight of the ball-carrier. This allows the runner to avert him. 

Doesn't posses elite athleticism. Good enough, but not elite by any sense of the word. 

Where he wins:

2-down thumper who's able to attack the A-Gap on blitzes. Don't over-think it an make him stunt around the edges. Use him where he wins. Using his strength to overpower lineman. 

Conclusion: 

My preliminary thoughts on Perryman hold true. He's a pure downhill thumper who's value will really shine when he's allowed to use his power and aggressiveness to blow up plays at the LOS. Nobody will ever confuse him with Bobby Wagner in coverage, but I have no doubt he can be an elite run defender at the next level.

Projected Round: 2

NFL Comparison: Brandon Spikes, Bills/FA

Up next: Benardrick McKinney, Mississippi State

I like Perryman but i'd prefer a player who can come in on all 3 downs. I like Stephone Anthony a bit later and I am looking forward to a profile on him if you do one.

I don't remember wher but could have sworn I read somewhere the Colts showed some interest in Anthony

I've been back and forth on Perryman, but after reading that he regularly knocks offensive lineman down, I have to admit, I like him again.

Based strictly on the ILB crop he is my preference because he seems to be the most violent hitter.

Same. First I liked him more than anyone, then I became sold on Kendricks, and now I feel like I still like Perryman. He can't cover though, which is a big thing. I think if you draft him you have to draft a "Hand-cuff" to go with him. Basically get a coverage linebacker to play nickel. Maybe someone like Hayes Pullard later.

He reminds of of Ray Lewis , coincidently both from the U. Cover tight ends? Name me 3 who can in the leauge. That's why you have a safety for. We need a kid like this, we never really had a thumper , unless you think bracket was one.

Just three? Jamie Collins, Bobby Wagner, and Navvaro Bowman.

Luke Keuchly as well. But I get the point he was trying to make. It's really is rare to have a ILB who can cover TE's. It's not like every team has one. I live in NJ so I often see a lot of Jets/Giants game, and in Rex's entire tenure with the Jets he never had a LB that could cover TE's.

You might want to have a safety on a TE these days, especially in a 3-4. But like I said, you could get Perryman and then get a coverage linebacker.

But like I said, you could get Perryman and then get a coverage linebacker.

Agree. We could also re-sign Freeman. I think his shoddy play last season was an aberration more than the norm for him. Having a player like Perryman would help alleviate some of the pressure he faces, the same applies to DJax. They both need to play next to an aggressive run-stopper.

there are a handful, and yea also keichly. Wagner hardly covers tight ends he mostly drops in the hook to curl, and also benifit a from having the best safety tandem. Ray Lewis was never a good coverage linebacker, but was a sideline to sideline that can thump in the running game

Agree. We could also re-sign Freeman. I think his shoddy play last season was an aberration more than the norm for him. Having a player like Perryman would help alleviate some of the pressure he faces, the same applies to DJax. They both need to play next to an aggressive run-stopper.

Even if they bring Freeman back, I could see them walk away with 2 new LBs. Maybe Perryman and Stephone Anthony. We need to replace both Jackson and Freeman eventually.

I disagree about Perryman in coverage.  No he can't cover slot receivers man on man but that is not a LBers job.  But he is excellent in zone coverage (for a linebacker).  He shows good zone awareness, anticipates well, reacts while the ball is in the air rather than waiting for the receiver to catch it and then has the athletic ability to close quickly and knock the ball out or at least stop the catcher from gaining additional yards.

If the Colts drafted him in round 1 they would get an every down LB and matched up Freeman (a healthy Freeman) would be an excellent ILB duo for the Colts.

I disagree about Perryman in coverage. No he can't cover slot receivers man on man but that is not a LBers job. But he is excellent in zone coverage (for a linebacker). He shows good zone awareness, anticipates well, reacts while the ball is in the air rather than waiting for the receiver to catch it and then has the athletic ability to close quickly and knock the ball out or at least stop the catcher from gaining additional yards.

If the Colts drafted him in round 1 they would get an every down LB and matched up Freeman (a healthy Freeman) would be an excellent ILB duo for the Colts.

It doesn't sound like we actually disagree then lol.

Other than you consider is pass defensive a weakness and I don't think it is. And you think he's a 2 down LB and I think he's a 3 down LB.

You're kind of paraphrasing there. I think his man coverage is a weakness. I noted that he did well in zone (particularly short) coverage and closes in fast.

You're kind of paraphrasing there. I think his man coverage is a weakness. I noted that he did well in zone (particularly short) coverage and closes in fast.

You are changing what you said, all you mentioned was that he was good the short zone.  And you called him a 2 down thumper, he's more than that, I think he will do well against the run and in coverage.

But I will say, I've seen you do this with other posters as well.  I'm not sure why but here's how an exchange goes with you.

Dustin:  I think this and this and that.

Poster:  Well, I disagree with this and that.

Dustin:  Ahh, so we agree.

Poster:  No, I disagree with you.  I think that and this

Dustin:  I don't see how that is any different from what I said.

Poster:  It's the complete opposite of what you said.

Dustin:  So we agree then.

You are changing what you said, all you mentioned was that he was good the short zone. And you called him a 2 down thumper, he's more than that, I think he will do well against the run and in coverage.

But I will say, I've seen you do this with other posters as well. I'm not sure why but here's how an exchange goes with you.

Dustin: I think this and this and that.

Poster: Well, I disagree with this and that.

Dustin: Ahh, so we agree.

Poster: No, I disagree with you. I think that and this

Dustin: I don't see how that is any different from what I said.

Poster: It's the complete opposite of what you said.

Dustin: So we agree then.

So you agree that we're saying the same thing?

If Kendrick is gone though, I think it would make some sense to trade down a few spots for an extra 3rd or 4th and draft Perryman. If that wasn't possible though, I'd be okay with him as our 1st round pick. Better him than Gordon.

I think we've got a pretty good shot to get at least one of the 3 between Dawson, Kendricks, and Perryman.

I disagree about Perryman in coverage.  No he can't cover slot receivers man on man but that is not a LBers job.  But he is excellent in zone coverage (for a linebacker).  He shows good zone awareness, anticipates well, reacts while the ball is in the air rather than waiting for the receiver to catch it and then has the athletic ability to close quickly and knock the ball out or at least stop the catcher from gaining additional yards.

If we chose Perryman I would LOVE to see him in tandem with Freeman.  Freeman has always been the most athletic sideline to sideline guy we've had with Pagano.  I would enjoy having a tandem of athletic ILB who were thumpers.