Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ray Rice apology to Ravens fans

amfootball

Yes, that is a well written letter that acknowledges his affection for Baltimore, his awareness that kids of all ages look up to him, his appreciation that the owner, GM, HC, & Ravens fans embraced him as family, & his use of the words "I apologize" vs say "for those who may have been offended by what I did;" The first one takes responsibility for one's own actions while the second example shifts or deflects the blame as if to minimize the actual problem at hand. 

I've always liked Ray. He's a good man who made a gross error in judgement. I'd give him another shot in pads largely because I have a soft spot for redemption stories. Plus, both Mr. & Mrs. Rice are going to counseling. Life is all about what you do after you fall. Do you curl up into a ball & die or get up, dust yourself off, ask for support & thrive? 

I'm proud of you Ray. You will always be SB Champion Raven to me & I wish nothing but success & happiness down the road.  :hat:

Very well written if he wrote it and if he means it.

...I still hope he's not still beating his wife because that's not the kind of thing that happens once.

I have my doubts because of how hard he fought his suspension...

...I dont think he believes he feels he's done something wrong

The phrase "for those who may have been offended by what I did" suggests he doesn't accept that hitting your woman is always wrong

to every body

...I still hope he's not still beating his wife because that's not the kind of thing that happens once.

The phrase "for those who may have been offended by what I did" suggests he doesn't accept that hitting your woman is always wrong

to every body

I get the same feeling. I don't think he has anything left in the tank as far as playing at a high level anyway. He had already went down hill the last two years.

to every body

No, OUM. You misunderstood me. I used that as a random comparison for criminal acts. Rice never said that. I was using that hypothetical phrase as a ploy a lot of celebrities use to downplay their inappropriate actions. In essence, I was commending Ray for not subscribing to the belief that he did nothing wrong. If I confused you, I apologize blame me not Ray Rice. 

Go back to the letter & then read my response again please. I didn't think I was creating any ambiguity in what I said, but perhaps I did. 

From the letter itself, "...There is no excuse for domestic violence, and I apologize for the horrible mistake I made." Rice takes full responsibility there. 

sorry...sw...if he didn't say that....I didn't read it corrrectly.... maybe I;m not being fair to him..

I admit I just have a problem with Ray Rice going forward..

...the video still bothers me

No worries OUM. We are perfectly fine. I've been known to misinterpret stuff myself on more than 1 occasion once or twice too. It happens to all of us sooner or later. 

I get understand your difficulty watching the video. You have every right to feel the way you do my friend. Never apologize for how you truly feel ever okay. 

Took the page right out of Gone Girl. (If you haven't seen that movie, you should watch it. Then compare in contrast American media and how easy people go along with a ride) 

America loves a rich man that acts apologetic. They will root for him now. You have to make them like you. 

I could have said this last year, that all he needs to do is get on TV and cry a little and say some fake "I'm sorry" lines, and boom, everyone will root for you again. It worked in the past, it works now. 

That's all it takes. Very simple 

He is a god to society alone just for playing a stupid game. His wife, I don't care about either cause she still stuck with him, and people are using that as an excuse to say he needs a second chance.

We'll give football players another chance, but meanwhile you have people rotting in prison for minor drug sentences, and when they get out, they're always ridiculed for their past problems. Donte Stallworth murdered somebody, and it was OK for him to get a light sentence and comeback. 

It amazes me though. All you have to do is pull a Gone Girl...get on TV and cry a little bit. Say you're sorry, and bingo. That's all it takes. Everyone loves a man with fake apologies. If he really was sorry, he wouldn't have done it in the first place. He knew exactly what he was doing, so screw him. 

If you have to feel pity and sympathy for someone, fine, there is a lot of poor people starving to death in this country. Feel sorry for them, cause people pretend they don't even exist, and the homeless alone get spit on and trampled on worse than anyone else in this country. That's the people that no one really cares about whatsoever, since there is no money to be made exploiting them. 

I see no reason to clap my hands and support a millionaire jock who is only at this level cause he plays a stupid game - he don't contribute to society with education or anything that actually is going to help mankind in the future with our survival and evolution (he's not a scientist, or mathematician, or any kind of true genius), he's just an athlete that entertains, and only because he waited long enough and wrote his sob story letter and said he was sorry. Had he done this much sooner, and cried on TV, then maybe the entire country would be rooting for him. But I'm not. He knows what he did and he shouldn't have done it, and he shouldn't have got there and defended it months ago. 

I don't care about the "give someone a second chance". He knew what he did, and here we are, American celebrating a woman beater cause he faked an apology. Good job Ray Rice, good job. He's only celebrated alone cause he is a football player. He's privileged enough. He don't deserve a second chance period. We have to eventually move forward in society and stop worshiping these jock millionaires and treating them like Gods just cause they play a game and entertain people. 

Took the page right out of Gone Girl. (If you haven't seen that movie, you should watch it. Then compare in contrast American media and how easy people go along with a ride) 

America loves a rich man that acts apologetic. They will root for him now. You have to make them like you. 

I could have said this last year, that all he needs to do is get on TV and cry a little and say some fake "I'm sorry" lines, and boom, everyone will root for you again. It worked in the past, it works now. 

He is a god to society alone just for playing a stupid game. His wife, I don't care about either cause she still stuck with him, and people are using that as an excuse to say he needs a second chance.

We'll give football players another chance, but meanwhile you have people rotting in prison for minor drug sentences, and when they get out, they're always ridiculed for their past problems. Donte Stallworth murdered somebody, and it was OK for him to get a light sentence and comeback. 

It amazes me though. All you have to do is pull a Gone Girl...get on TV and cry a little bit. Say you're sorry, and bingo. That's all it takes. Everyone loves a man with fake apologies. If he really was sorry, he wouldn't have done it in the first place. He knew exactly what he was doing, so screw him. 

If you have to feel pity and sympathy for someone, fine, there is a lot of poor people starving to death in this country. Feel sorry for them, cause people pretend they don't even exist, and the homeless alone get spit on and trampled on worse than anyone else in this country. That's the people that no one really cares about whatsoever, since there is no money to be made exploiting them. 

I see no reason to clap my hands and support a millionaire jock who is only at this level cause he plays a stupid game - he don't contribute to society with education or anything that actually is going to help mankind in the future with our survival and evolution (he's not a scientist, or mathematician, or any kind of true genius), he's just an athlete that entertains, and only because he waited long enough and wrote his sob story letter and said he was sorry. Had he done this much sooner, and cried on TV, then maybe the entire country would be rooting for him. But I'm not. He knows what he did and he shouldn't have done it, and he shouldn't have got there and defended it months ago. 

I don't care about the "give someone a second chance". He knew what he did, and here we are, American celebrating a woman beater cause he faked an apology. Good job Ray Rice, good job. He's only celebrated alone cause he is a football player. He's privileged enough. He don't deserve a second chance period. We have to eventually move forward in society and stop worshiping these jock millionaires and treating them like Gods just cause they play a game and entertain people. 

I am not sure where you got all that. Who is celebrating? Rice isn't crying either. He wrote a letter to a fanbase that has supported him for seven years on the field and wanted to thank them and also apologize for what he did that led to his departure.

I'm on the fence about Ray Rice's apology. I would need to know whether he has really changed and will never do anything like that again. I can't let him off the hook completely. Apologies are easy to make; changing your lifestyle is difficult. I don't know how sincere he is.

So, I couldn't quite forgive him, but am putting off judgment for now since it's not my place to judge. if I were a Ravens fan, I don't think I'd be so willing to welcome him back with open arms.

Sorry doesn't always work regarding an error in judgement though. Just ask former Congressman Anthony Weiner who's not working in public office anymore. Look Bogie, you're a smart guy that I do respect & I understand the point you are making: Society ignores the real downtrodden while falsely elevating the significance of professional athletes who don't really change the world for the better catching a football. A valid point except that athletes can donate millions of dollars to worthy causes like homeless prevention programs, handicapped accessible homes, drug & alcohol rehab, cancer research, & a host of other causes. 

I feel your frustration though Bogie. You're not wrong in what you are saying or your desire to promote individuals like teachers, firefighters, police officers, & those who perform charity work donating their free time to help another in need. All very admirable because it speaks to your level of compassion & concern for those less fortunate than many in this world. 

To your credit, you did say if people want to forgive Ray Rice for his domestic violence incident that's fine & if you wish not to forgive Ray that's cool as well perfectly within your right. I just think most people are glad that Ray apologized to the Ravens fan base we aren't evaluating the scope of his sincerity while doing it. Like AMF said, Rice is just thanking Baltimore for their support & expressing regret in disappointing them. Nothing more; nothing less. 

I admire that you always speak your mind & don't give a darn about the possibility of backlash Bogie. You are always a fascinating read; That's a complement not a slam BTW. 

Donte Stallworth did NOT murder somebody.

He accidentally ran over somebody and killed them.     There's a HUGE difference between murder and accidentally killing someone.

He was suspended without pay for a year and paid the family a 6-figure settlement.    And his career was not the same since.

sorry...sw...if he didn't say that....I didn't read it corrrectly.... maybe I;m not being fair to him..

I admit I just have a problem with Ray Rice going forward..

...the video still bothers me

It should still bother you Uncle. You had it right the first time not the kind that happens just once and judging from that video it wasn't the first time. He gave it no thought. I have no respect or compassion for men that beat on women.

For those of you who think it is cool because the victim of domestic violence forgave him.... really