Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Key Changes to Stop the Run

indyagent17

I meant that if we had a NT that could push the center and guard back like they're supposed to, it would free up the LBs to be able to come to the line clean and make tackles. You can get away with average ILB play if the NT can occupy blockers and keep them from getting to the second level.

I think that's overstating the role of a NT. Even the best NTs aren't pushing two linemen into the backfield. They are, at best, anchoring against them, but that doesn't work against good C/G tandems. I think a really good NT can have a lot of impact on a defense, particularly in the run game, but that doesn't mean you don't need LB play.

Also, with more passing, and with more TE/RB involvement in the passing game, you not only limit the impact of a run stopping NT, you also increase the burden of the ILBs. 

I'm of the opinion that we should look to upgrade any position we reasonably can. I don't think Chapman is a big problem for our defense, and I think he's still young enough to get better at his job. But I'm all for making the interior of the defense better, however reasonably possible. I just don't think that even a great NT -- Jamal Williams level -- is suddenly going to transform our defense. I don't think our run defense is as bad as it looks against the Pats, and I don't think improving the NT play will even matter 70% of the time, between pass plays and outside runs. I especially don't think ILB should be neglected based on the idea that a good NT will make life easier for the ILBs.

a guy like Casey Hampton or wilfork in their prime would mean more to this team than any ILB.  we all talk about how to get tougher against the run and it starts front and center. even if they run outside the tackles the NT still matters.  pulling guards and centers are done if they run into a guy like that.  they play more than 40% of total snaps as well. 

freeman and jackson are coverage ILBs.  both of them.  they are both suited for QB spy as well, if we end up playing seattle they would be an asset.  we could stand to have a run stopping ILB on the roster, and i was hoping that could be andrew jackson.  at some point that positon needs adressed, it should be after the d line though.

safety is a big hole now too, grigs needs a game plan ASAP

a guy like Casey Hampton or wilfork in their prime would mean more to this team than any ILB.  we all talk about how to get tougher against the run and it starts front and center. even if they run outside the tackles the NT still matters.  pulling guards and centers are done if they run into a guy like that.  they play more than 40% of total snaps as well. 

freeman and jackson are coverage ILBs.  both of them.  they are both suited for QB spy as well, if we end up playing seattle they would be an asset.  we could stand to have a run stopping ILB on the roster, and i was hoping that could be andrew jackson.  at some point that positon needs adressed, it should be after the d line though.

safety is a big hole now too, grigs needs a game plan ASAP

Freeman and Jackson are coverage LBs you say?

At this point, the best way to fix our inability to stop the run for next season is to go all in on the offensive line. Best way to keep the other team's ground game in check is to dominate with our own, and control the TOP. Look at what Dallas did this year, with Murray and that offensive line, and how much it had a positive impact on their defense. We have a bunch of holes on both sides of the ball. Let's focus on turning one of those units into a strength next year, rather than try to fix it all in one off-season and settle for overpaying players who are only marginally better than the players they replaced. 

Fix the o-line and control the time of possession, which will in turn help the defense

i dont understand all of the jackson hate on this forum. the guy can play. he lead the team in tackles, made the pro bowl, and was the only defender to make a big play in the patriots game. according to every analyzing metric out there including PFF and all of the others he is an above average ILB.

i guess i agree with the rest of the world unlike this forum

i dont understand all of the jackson hate on this forum. the guy can play. he lead the team in tackles, made the pro bowl, and was the only defender to make a big play in the patriots game. according to every analyzing metric out there including PFF and all of the others he is an above average ILB.

i guess i agree with the rest of the world unlike this forum

PFF and the pro bowl is the rest of the world? Nobody hates Jackson, he is a solid MLD with limitations in pass coverage....in a passing

league.

well yes... who else quantifies player skill like that?  if you go by madden that actually supports everything that i have said.  what else is there, other than opinions on the forums?

PFF: guys who never played or coached. Not saying the site isn't useful, but it's far from perfect.

Pro Bowl: no explanation needed.

I mean seriously, just watch the Colts play and how smart teams attack him in the passing game.