Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fiance of Aaron Hernandez granted immunity

Superman

I do hate immunity folks get away with a crime though.

In this case, it's a legal tool used by the prosecutors to compel her to testify. She can't plead the fifth, basically, because she can't incriminate herself. So either she refuses to testify, and goes to jail, or she lies on the stand and gets ripped apart by the prosecution, which weakens the defense (that's the thinking of the prosecution, obviously), or she testifies truthfully. Either way, with the prosecution believing they have Hernandez cold, they see it as a win/win situation for them. No matter what she does, she helps their case.

It would backfire if she took the stand and gave totally believable testimony that supports the defense. 

One has to wonder whether she'll lie.  I'm a lawyer, so I should know this (in my defense, I do corporate law but many years out of practice since my days interning at the prosecutors office), but I wonder if they would obtain a signed written confession and then take her to the stand.  So she either basically testifies what's in teh confession or she lies and gets impeached by the signed confession.  But like you said, she either testifies truthfully or she lies.  If she does lieshe gets held in contempt for an indeterminant period of time (probably until she gets charged with perjury, and then gets sentenced for that) and sits in jail.  But in either event, it helps the Prosecutors, that's for sure.