Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First Mock Of The Offseason

A lot of people have been throwing theres out now that the seasons done. Here's my early rough mock. 

Re-sign:

Boom Herron - I think we keep him as a backup. I'm mocking him as our RB3 to start the season. 
Corey Redding - 1 season deal.
Matt Hasselbeck - Backup if he wants to keep playing.
Jerrell Freeman - 2nd round tender. 
Darius Butler - Slot/depth. 
Mike Adams - He's pretty played well, I'd bring him back. 
Sergio Brown - Depth. 
Joe Reitz - Critical depth. 
Andy Studebaker - Depth.

Cut:
Laron Landry - PEDs, useless.
Donald Thomas - Too injury prone.

Sign:
Orlando Franklin, G - New starting RG. He gave up just 1 sack this season at guard in addition to proving a tough run blocker. 
C.J. Spiller, RB - Explosive playmaker to split time with a rookie. He's not a workhorse.
Duron Carter, WR - He could be a chain moving possession receiver, which is something we currently lack. He's certainly got good DNA. 
I'd like to sign more guys on defense - maybe a DE or OLB but I'm not sure of our cap space after these moves.

Draft:
R1-29 Denzel Perryman, ILB, Miami - Gives us a stronger presence up the middle. He should be very good against the run and decent against the pass. I think our inside linebackers have been a bit of a liability at times. 
R2-29 Anthony Harris, S, Virginia - A new safety to pair with Adams immediately. Should be a longterm starter.  
R3-29 Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise St. - He's a really good running back with a lot of versatility. Pair him with Spiller - that would be a really nice backfield and a huge upgrade.
R4-29 Austin Hill, WR, Arizona - Another candidate to become that possession chain mover that we currently lack. 
R5-29 Bernard Blake, CB, Colorado St. - Corner depth is a need.
R6-29 Brian Mihalik, DE, Boston College - A huge defensive end, almost a legit 6'9". He'd be kind of a developmental prospect but he can certainly present match-up problems.
R6-31 Jake Smith, C, Louisville - Maybe see what we can get out of this guy. He likely winds up on the practice squad or a backup, but he had a respectable college career.
R7-29 Mike Orakpo, Texas St. - A workout freak with good DNA. He was injured this season and has fell off the map but he's extremely athletic and might be a good project.

Where is all this CJ Spiller talk coming from (not just you), why do people keep talking Spiller in FA?  I just don't get going out and spending that kind of money on a RB until we are sure we have the OL problem fixed.

Yeah I've seen other people talk about it. I'm not married to the idea. It depends on what sort of price we could get him for. I think he'd be good in our offense, paired with another good back. I agree that fixing our O-line is much more important than signing a running back. I'm projecting a lineup of Castonzo Mewhort Holmes Franklin Cherilus with Reitz as sort of the top depth guy. I really would love to nab Jake Fisher but something tells me he's gone by pick 61.

Where is all this CJ Spiller talk coming from (not just you), why do people keep talking Spiller in FA?  I just don't get going out and spending that kind of money on a RB until we are sure we have the OL problem fixed.

Look how good Boom Herron looked behind our line. Now imagine CJ Spiller. Our O line will hopefully improve. We have studs at LT and LG. I don't think it's a coincidence our line got infinitely better when holmes broke the starting line up. Gosder is good when healthy, We just need a stud at right guard which we can hopefully pick up in FA with spiller.

Look how good Boom Herron looked behind our line. Now imagine CJ Spiller. Our O line will hopefully improve. We have studs at LT and LG. I don't think it's a coincidence our line got infinitely better when holmes broke the starting line up. Gosder is good when healthy, We just need a stud at right guard which we can hopefully pick up in FA with spiller.

I want to see the OL in action before we spend more premium money on a RB.  We are already going to eating Trent's $3.2 million salary. I would rather take any money we were going to pay Spiller and overspend on an O-lineman, Safety, possession receiver, etc ... There will be plenty of good RBs later in this draft.

Too many people are looking at Duron Carter as a sure thing. It seems like he's more likely to sign with the Vikings,and he'd be right to do so. Also, I've been a huge supporter of Harris for awhile, but the best coverage safety in the draft is probably Derron Smith. But Prewitt probably fits our defense the best.

Too many people are looking at Duron Carter as a sure thing. It seems like he's more likely to sign with the Vikings,and he'd be right to do so. Also, I've been a huge supporter of Harris for awhile, but the best coverage safety in the draft is probably Derron Smith. But Prewitt probably fits our defense the best.

Why would he be right to do so?

We have to bring in some FA's for the defense IMO. I like the 3 signings you have on offense though. I just hope Grigs goes after Dan Williams and Brian Orakpo, then drafts a FS who can cover and an ILB who can stop the run and cover.

Isn't Orakpo always hurt?

Isn't Orakpo always hurt?

He's missed 2 full season almost, but when he's healthy he's a monster. I think we could get him on a fairly cheep 1year deal so he could build his stock back up. No teams going to give him a multiyear contract this offseason IMO. Other than Houston, Orakpo's the best edge rusher available IMO.

Like a lot of it, not sure how the numbers would work but I would definitely look at cutting Phillips 2.6m just because he doesn't really add anything.  Even then it looks like there should be decent roll over for Luck, TY, AC etc...

Big hole for me is still feel like the D-Line could use a bit more and I'm not sold on Spiller fixing anything so that would depend on the money I guess.

That kind of money? He's not going to get anything worthwhile. He's a threat that can score from anywhere on the field, even if he can't run behind our line, he's a threat at slot receiver and KR/PR. 

I know that people devalue RBs, but we have to go into the season with someone lol

That kind of money? He's not going to get anything worthwhile. He's a threat that can score from anywhere on the field, even if he can't run behind our line, he's a threat at slot receiver and KR/PR. 

I know that people devalue RBs, but we have to go into the season with someone lol

Spiller is going to want somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 yrs/$12 million on the low end .... compare that to drafting a mid to late round rookie.... personally id be looking at about rnd 4 

Spiller: $4 million per year (minimum)

----------------------------------------

2nd Rnd RB = 2014 mid 2nd rnd ... ~$1 million per year  .... ~4yrs/$3.7 mil 

3rd Rnd RB =  2014 3rd rounder ....~$ 750,000 per year .... ~4yrs/$2.9 mil 

...after that they continue to decline but not as drastically

I would rather put that $3 million difference toward a better FA OL, DL, LB, S  ... Lets make sure our O line and other necessities are fixed before we go spending on "luxury items"; which is what Spiller would be right now given our many other needs.  There are plenty of RBs in the draft and free agency that we could pair with Boom and Tipton that would allow us to have a solid running game once the OL is fixed. 

Spiller is going to want somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 yrs/$12 million on the low end 

Yeah and I want some guy to drive up to me walking down the sidewalk and toss me the keys to his Lambo, but we both know that isn't going to happen. 

Yeah and I want some guy to drive up to me walking down the sidewalk and toss me the keys to his Lambo, but we both know that isn't going to happen. 

Some one will give him that ... teams are already showing interest .... Donald Brown and Toby Gerhart got 3 yrs/$10.5 million last offseason .... you don't think Spiller will get 3/$12 ?  

Some one will give him that ... teams are already showing interest .... Donald Brown and Toby Gerhart got 3 yrs/$10.5 million last offseason .... you don't think Spiller will get 3/$12 ?  

No, I don't. And I think those contracts are why. Moreno got a 1 year $3M deal. 

No, I don't. And I think those contracts are why. Moreno got a 1 year $3M deal. 

I think Moreno had more question marks than Spiller and was forced into a one year prove it deal.  If we can get him at a bargain basement price sign me up, but IMO a lot of teams will see him like you and are intrigued and tempted to see if Buffalo was holding him back and someone will make a play.  

I really want Prewitt but guess we will see what happens

From what I've watched, I like him as well. Harris seemed a bit lost and hesitant at times. Prewitt doesn't seem to be awesome at any one thing, but seems like a solid, versatile safety.