Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Overhaul

Trips4Lyfe

I want some new HC candidates by January .... this is the worst team I ever seen and I live in Michigan. I'm hearing about Jack Del Rio, Andy Reid, Jason Garrett, Spags in STL, but nothing about this clown of a coaching staff. I know everything is still yet to happen but this Luck thing seems to be a bigger issue right now when to me it shouldn't be thus I wonder where the organizations priorities are ...

Just like when we were 14-0 people were saying he would be in the discussion for coach of the year, even the it was clear he wasn't the reason.

He has to be in the hot seat discussion at 0-13.. I don't know if Polian or Irsay will do the right thing or not, but it is sad that the topic isn't being discussed more than it has...

Head coach, defensive coordinator, and special teams coaches all have to go! Murphy needs to go back to LB coach and get a Mike Zimmer type coach for coordinator. And whoever Irsay hires to coach this team has to be able to call the shots with the players and play calling because if they keep letting polian run the show and hiring yes men our horrible defensive philosophy and play calling will never change.

Bill Polian's only great decision in his FO career is drafting Peyton.

I always get a negative and saddist vibe from him. Bills went to 4 SBs but they didnt win one.

We won one SB because of we all know.

It would take one bold move from Irsay to change his FO ( doubt it ) for Colts to have a future.

As long as we have Polians in the FO, we will continue to have the same personnel, same incredibly Tampa 2, Cover 2 defense, same results.

In many ways, Peyton's injury is blessing in disguise. Really exposed lot of people in this Organization.

Bill Polian's only great decision in his FO career is drafting Peyton.

I always get a negative and saddist vibe from him. Bills went to 4 SBs but they didnt win one.

We won one SB because of we all know.

It would take one bold move from Irsay to change his FO ( doubt it ) for Colts to have a future.

As long as we have Polians in the FO, we will continue to have the same personnel, same incredibly Tampa 2, Cover 2 defense, same results.

In many ways, Peyton's injury is blessing in disguise. Really exposed lot of people in this Organization.

Really drafting Edge over Ricky Williams wasn't a good call?

Getting Tony Dungy here as head coach wasn't a good call?

"reaching" on Dwight Freeney wasn't a good call?

Drafting Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne (and moving back not once but twice to get Wayne) when everyone was saying they needed to draft a corner (all of which who were taking around Wayne or Clark have not had a career near what Clark or Wayne have had) wasn't a good call?

Finding Robert Mathis in the fifth round wasn't a good call?

Finding Jeff Saturday and Gary Brackett via undrafted free agency wasn't a good call?

Getting Bethea in the 6th round wasn't a good call?

Making the hard call to let Edge walk away rather than giving him a big long term contract wasn't a good call?

Oh yeah there were also those Bills teams he built that went to four straight Super Bowls, something that has never been done and the Panthers team that went to the NFC Title game in only their second year of being in the league that he did without Peyton Manning.

Sorry Polian has done more good things than just draft Peyton Manning. His track record proves it. You can rip him for missing in the draft lately but to say the only good thing he's done is draft Peyton Mannng would be incorrect.

this is the worst team I ever seen and I live in Michigan.

I don't think that this is even remotely the worst team of the past couple of seasons much less "ever". It isn't even close to the worst Colts team (there have been other threads devoted to that exiting topic).

overall Polian has done a good job drafting there have been so misses but some of it i am not sure if it is the player or the coaches or the overall system. but we must think about a new system as we will not have PM for much longer either due to he can't play due to his neck or he retires after a couple more years or due to another injury. This team knew there was going to be the very good possibility that PM wouldn't be able to play this season and made no effort to change things. Yes the lockout didn't help but they could have made some changes in the time thy had. This coaching staff also has not made in game adjustments at all it is just do what we always do. I also understand our defense is build to be playing with a lead but our corners have just played way to far off the opponents receivers. we get picked apart. we have the playmakers on this team. we definately need to overhaul this team. we need to fire the whole coaching staff and the current system. as we must prepare for football without PM.

Drafting Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne (and moving back not once but twice to get Wayne) when everyone was saying they needed to draft a corner (all of which who were taking around Wayne or Clark have not had a career near what Clark or Wayne have had) wasn't a good call?

Finding Jeff Saturday and Gary Brackett via undrafted free agency wasn't a good call?

Making the hard call to let Edge walk away rather than giving him a big long term contract wasn't a good call?

Oh yeah there were also those Bills teams he built that went to four straight Super Bowls, something that has never been done and the Panthers team that went to the NFC Title game in only their second year of being in the league that he did without Peyton Manning.

Sorry Polian has done more good things than just draft Peyton Manning. His track record proves it. You can rip him for missing in the draft lately but to say the only good thing he's done is draft Peyton Mannng would be incorrect.

Sure, Dallas , Reggie, Freeney, Jeff, Bethea are still playing and whats the score this year?. 0-13.

Yeah exactly, i want a GM you wins NFC championship only. Good goal. Going to SB means nothing. Got to win it.

Oh he is having few lapses?. That would be mildly considered an understatement isnt it.

I want some new HC candidates by January .... this is the worst team I ever seen and I live in Michigan. I'm hearing about Jack Del Rio, Andy Reid, Jason Garrett, Spags in STL, but nothing about this clown of a coaching staff. I know everything is still yet to happen but this Luck thing seems to be a bigger issue right now when to me it shouldn't be thus I wonder where the organizations priorities are ...

Jim Leveates not sure how spell it grr lol but the 49ers linebackers coach or if miamis coach gets fired would be my top 2 choices for hc next year

I don't think that this is even remotely the worst team of the past couple of seasons much less "ever". It isn't even close to the worst Colts team (there have been other threads devoted to that exiting topic).

Out of curiosity, who do you put in our ballpark of stink besides the 0-16 Lions or the Rams who come close every season?

A few Raiders teams of the past decade, perhaps? San Francisco? Browns? Bengals? Miami? They've all had some stinkers, sure - but I'd take any of their teams from their most awful season 2000-2010 to beat us in a heartbeat.

Not so fast,

Drafting Edge over Ricky Williams was a good call. Both Edge and Williams had fine careers. In fact, Ricky will finish with more than 10000 yards in his career.

Getting Tony Dungy here as head coach was good although a lot of Dungy Colts teams laid a lot of eggs in the playoffs with many one and dones. The big knock on Dungy teams was they couldn’t win the big ones. He won a SB with the Colts which is great – but his teams folded in several playoff games despite having great regular season records and number one seeds.

Freeney wasn’t a reach; he put up good numbers at Syracuse. His biggest knock was he was short for a DE by NFL standards. Freeney is a great edge rusher and a below average to average run stopper.

You know what – we still need a corner. Dallas Clark is a good receiver but a terrible blocker for a TE. He is undersized by NFL TE standards and has far too many drops. Reggie Wayne was a good draft pick. Mathis in the fifth round was a good call. He has his limitations as a football player. See Freeney above.

Jeff Saturday and Gary Brackett via undrafted free agency was a good find. Drafting Bethea in the 6th round was a good move. The counter argument is Polian has taken far too many chances and missed on a number of draft picks and UDFA and later round picks such as Jacob Lacey, Roy Hall, Michael Coe, Robert Taylor, Jerry Hughes, Tony Ugoh, Corey Simon and on and on.

Letting Edge walk was and is a debatable issue. No other back on our roster since Edge left has come close to Edge’s production. Addai is a serviceable back (before you go on about Addai one Pro Bowl – he was selected as an alternate) but he isn’t Edge.

The Bills went to and lost 3 straight Super Bowls during Polian’s tenure in Buffalo. They lost every one to a NFC club, too. They were the best of an inferior conference at the time and there were no salary cap or free agency during that time. Polian was fired from Buffalo prior to the Bills fourth straight appearance and loss in the SB. His Carolina team, along with the Jacksonville Jags, was expansion teams that were given unlimited resources during their creation by the league in terms of draft picks, salary cap space and the ability to draft certain players from every other NFL team. Despite these impressive advantages, his Panthers team could do no better than to get to the NFC championship game. The other expansion team, the Jags, outperformed Polian Panthers team. He was also fired from his post as Panthers GM. The guy can’t seem to keep a job for any extended period of time.

On closer examination, Polian has as many failures as hits. If some were more objective, they could see he clearly has issues and his overall body of work as a GM is ok but certainly not the great level best of the best some would like him to be.

Out of curiosity, who do you put in our ballpark of stink besides the 0-16 Lions or the Rams who come close every season?

A few Raiders teams of the past decade, perhaps? San Francisco? Browns? Bengals? Miami? They've all had some stinkers, sure - but I'd take any of their teams from their most awful season 2000-2010 to beat us in a heartbeat.

i have to agree. nfl network did a top 10 worst teams of all time a little bit ago. This tean is definitely top 3 material. possibly the worst team ever with all this supposed 'talent'. lions were rated the worst, then the winless tampa team. if we played those two teams we might not lose but we wouldnt win (can u say 0-0 tie).

Too much focus on the drama about Manning and possibly Luck with the number 1 pick and not nearly enough on the free pass Caldwell is getting over his dreaful coaching. If he stays next season, it will be message that ownership does not care about the direction of this team. If he did not get fired after that Saints blowout, there is nothing to indicate that Tweet Man Jim will get rid of him after this season.

Off the top of my head I'm sure that you've covered most of them. Best specific recent example - the Rams. They had a 12-4 record in 2003, and then devolved. They slipped to average, then horrific as all of their top talent left without being replaced. Since 2007 they've had 3, 2, 1, 7, and now 2 win seasons - this most recent one despite the presence in most games of an actual quarterback - the one crying need that the Colts are failing for. Everything I've read suggests that (aside from Bradford, Jackson, and a couple of players on defense) they simply lack talent. Despite the record I KNOW that the Colts have many fine players. Manning did NOT do it all on his own. If the Colts had Sam Bradford do you think that they would be doing worse than the Rams are right now? Then there are the Panthers, who were horrendous last year, and still have a horrid record this year despite having a terrific young QB. When they win, it is because of him. The rest of the squad has a long way to go. Once again, Do you think that the Colts would have a worse record than the Panthers if the Colts had Newton?

I think that in both cases the Colts would be playoff contenders with either QB, because the rest of the Colts squad is far superior to the rest of their squads - despite suffering an absurd volume of injuries once again. I'm sure there are many other examples from many other years when you look closer. This years Colts record speaks for itself, but there have been many teams throughout the years who are totally inept from top to bottom. Some of them Colts teams. I don't think that that is the case here at all.

Off the top of my head I'm sure that you've covered most of them. Best specific recent example - the Rams. They had a 12-4 record in 2003, and then devolved. They slipped to average, then horrific as all of their top talent left without being replaced. Since 2007 they've had 3, 2, 1, 7, and now 2 win seasons - this most recent one despite the presence in most games of an actual quarterback - the one crying need that the Colts are failing for. Everything I've read suggests that (aside from Bradford, Jackson, and a couple of players on defense) they simply lack talent. Despite the record I KNOW that the Colts have many fine players. Manning did NOT do it all on his own. If the Colts had Sam Bradford do you think that they would be doing worse than the Rams are right now? Then there are the Panthers, who were horrendous last year, and still have a horrid record this year despite having a terrific young QB. When they win, it is because of him. The rest of the squad has a long way to go. Once again, Do you think that the Colts would have a worse record than the Panthers if the Colts had Newton?

I think that in both cases the Colts would be playoff contenders with either QB, because the rest of the Colts squad is far superior to the rest of their squads - despite suffering an absurd volume of injuries once again. I'm sure there are many other examples from many other years when you look closer. This years Colts record speaks for itself, but there have been many teams throughout the years who are totally inept from top to bottom. Some of them Colts teams. I don't think that that is the case here at all.

Fair points all around.

I doubt it matters who we have at QB if their name is not Peyton Manning. Cam Newton certainly does the lion's share of work on the Panthers. His mobility is outstanding....which would be great considering he'd be running for his life on every snap. I doubt he'd win us more than 2 games on the season. (If any)

Sam Bradford? Eh...an upgrade from Painter/Orlovsky. He's decent but I think he'd get absolutely killed behind our line. 1 win, maybe.