Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it time to invest in a new RB?

UKColt13

There will be better players available

Better? No not really.. As someone who has seen Coleman play for 3 years now. The man deserves to be a first round pick. The reason he won't be is because he is a running back. But as far as caliber of player, there will not be a better player available in the 2nd round. Just my opinion. 

Better? No not really.. As someone who has seen Coleman play for 3 years now. The man deserves to be a first round pick. The reason he won't be is because he is a running back. But as far as caliber of player, there will not be a better player available in the 2nd round. Just my opinion.

there is also a rumor he has an health issue that limited his carries in college that's per Jake Querry a local Indianapolis sports talk show host.

You know with Gore in his last year and Lynch reportedly on his way out in Seattle. . . I know these guys are up there in terms of Running backs but they probably have a year or 2 left in them.  Maybe we should consider signing one of those guys to a short term deal.  RB market is down anyways, probably wouldn't cost too much money.

It was a good move with Bradshaw but he's just injured too much.  Lynch and Gore are always on the field. 

That leaves us the draft picks to spend on the line and defense at the top and maybe grab a RB in the 4th or so that can come in to relieve them.  

First of all apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

Is it time to invest in a new RB early in the first 3 rounds of the draft?

Andrew cant keep putting us on his shoulders, we have to find a run game to take the pressure off of him. And that wont happen with Trent (Im now resigned to that fact), Boom (promising, but has fumble issues and very hot/cold) and a banged up Bradshaw (need I say more?).

I know its a passing league and it is something of a taboo to talk of taking an RB early, but please, LeVeon Bell (Steelers now a playoff team), Eddie Lacy (Pack now a legit contender), Jeremy Hill and Gio Bernard (Taking the strain off of Dalton and, excuse the pun, 'carrying' the bengals offense). Why not us?

I was screaming for us to pick up Darren Sproles last offseason. Everyone said 'no, lets roll with what we have'.

Personally I like Ameer Abullah.

Hits the hole fast, good in space. Would be a nice 1 in a 1/2 punch with a power back. Could be around in the 2nd or 3rd.

Only concern is he may have the same problem Trent had with being used to having a dominant front line.

But him, Gordon, Coleman, the kid from Miami (his name escapes me) are all on my list to watch out for.

I'll be looking (with a large amount of desperation) for a RB in the first 3 rounds.

I never want to see a team consistently drop 8 guys into coverage on us again.

Sorry to rant, but, yeah.

This nothing new but I'm sick of Richardson let's part ways as soon as possible. 

You know with Gore in his last year and Lynch reportedly on his way out in Seattle. . . I know these guys are up there in terms of Running backs but they probably have a year or 2 left in them.  Maybe we should consider signing one of those guys to a short term deal.  RB market is down anyways, probably wouldn't cost too much money.

It was a good move with Bradshaw but he's just injured too much.  Lynch and Gore are always on the field. 

That leaves us the draft picks to spend on the line and defense at the top and maybe grab a RB in the 4th or so that can come in to relieve them.  

I hate spending to much on a running back we need to fix this o-line first. 

This nothing new but I'm sick of Richardson let's part ways as soon as possible. 

We're kind of stuck with him.  He was a #3 draft pick and we traded for his contract.  The Browns paid the signing bonus but high level picks get their entire contract guaranteed.  So we couldn't gain any cap space since we have to pay him anyways.

I hate spending to much on a running back we need to fix this o-line first. 

I think we have a problem with both.  Yes the line isn't spectacular, but let's not pretend it's the worst line in the history of the NFL.  RB's have gotten positive yards behind worse lines.  They do it by having the vision to see the openings and make a quick cutback.  Trent doesn't do this. . . he plows straight forward and if the line doesn't open up for him he just tries to push his way through the mass of bodies.  He lacks both the vision to see the hole and the patience to let his blockers open one up for him.  

But read the market and the RB market is really really down.  If Seattle lets Lynch go and/or Gore isn't re-signed by the 49er's then we could probably have Lynch for 5 to 6 mil or Gore for 4 mil.  Gore is also a great blocker in the backfield, although I don't think he catches the ball too often.

Not denying that the line is a problem but we also need a RB with great vision.