Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Peyton retire this year?

sweetsurrender

They did get out of the half with a shutout. No harm, no foul. I dont see how that sequence has any bearing on how they handle Manning in the offseason.

No, the neck surgery was after the Super Bowl and MVP season in 2009. The rough patch was in the middle of the following season. Then he missed the next year after three offseason surgeries, including the eventual fusion. His arm/nerve might have been an issue, but that team had a terrible offensive line, no run game, and several injuries to skill guys. And outside of three bad games, Manning was pretty good. All told, he threw the same number of TDs and one more pick than the previous MVP season. So I don't know if his rough patch was due to the injury, and if it was, he was able to adjust.

No they didn't. They had to punt and SD had a big return and almost a TD on the drive. They settled for a FG for 9-3 at the half. It was a big swing in the game actually because Denver's TD was taken away, Manning went out, then the Osweiller throws that backed them up for intentional grounding and then the big return from SD.

No they didn't. They had to punt and SD had a big return and almost a TD on the drive. They settled for a FG for 9-3 at the half. It was a big swing in the game actually because Denver's TD was taken away, Manning went out, then the Osweiller throws that backed them up for intentional grounding and then the big return from SD.

You're right.

I'm not sure how that suggests that the Broncos are ready to move on, because they let Osweiler throw the ball a couple times. I don't see the angle. They had a game to finish, with or without Manning.

You're right.

I'm not sure how that suggests that the Broncos are ready to move on, because they let Osweiler throw the ball a couple times. I don't see the angle. They had a game to finish, with or without Manning.

I didn't say that it suggest they are ready to move on but that they were trying to get a look at Osweiller. The situation would have called for them to just to run out the clock and go into half with a 9-0 lead but they let him throw not once but twice. I just thought it was a curious sequence. You could be right. They may have been trying to get him warmed up if Manning did not return but it seemed like a strange place to do it.

I didn't say that it suggest they are ready to move on but that they were trying to get a look at Osweiller. The situation would have called for them to just to run out the clock and go into half with a 9-0 lead but they let him throw not once but twice. I just thought it was a curious sequence. You could be right. They may have been trying to get him warmed up if Manning did not return but it seemed like a strange place to do it.

I think only the most conservative of coaches would have bern content to run out the clock. A minute and a half left, I think they had all their timeouts... You need a couple of plays to try a field goal. The problem is that Osweiler wilted (or failed to bloom, depending on how you look at it).

Also, this is Year 3 for Osweiler. He ought to be able to complete a couple passes against an end of half quasi prevent defense. I think the Broncos are more likely to be interested in trading Osweiler this offseason than in making him their starter. His contract is nearly up.

The situation was too explosive for even Nationwide to cover. I'm surprised Peyton's worshipers were not aware of this  gripping situation. Peyton was pretty loose about it in a post game interview. 

He was pretty talkative in that interview. One might even say he was a stool pigeon. 

I think only the most conservative of coaches would have bern content to run out the clock. A minute and a half left, I think they had all their timeouts... You need a couple of plays to try a field goal. The problem is that Osweiler wilted (or failed to bloom, depending on how you look at it).

Also, this is Year 3 for Osweiler. He ought to be able to complete a couple passes against an end of half quasi prevent defense. I think the Broncos are more likely to be interested in trading Osweiler this offseason than in making him their starter. His contract is nearly up.

Maybe but it was his first real game action in a tight game on the road. Manning left unexpectedly as well so he had no time to warm up either. It was a tough situation for him against a very good defense. I agree to some extent that he needs to execute but why not do a draw to start? Or a swing pass? Something easy to just get him in the groove.

Why do you think they will trade him? I have not heard one way or the other whether they like him or not. Are they basing in on practice? I would think if he stunk that bad that he would not have lasted this long.

He said he was fine until about 6 pm Saturday and then it hit him harder and faster than any linebacker ever did. His words " I'm not going to lie to you it was rough out there today".

That is scary. Food poisoning can be really serious. The announcers kept saying it was the flu.

Maybe but it was his first real game action in a tight game on the road. Manning left unexpectedly as well so he had no time to warm up either. It was a tough situation for him against a very good defense. I agree to some extent that he needs to execute but why not do a draw to start? Or a swing pass? Something easy to just get him in the groove.

Why do you think they will trade him? I have not heard one way or the other whether they like him or not. Are they basing in on practice? I would think if he stunk that bad that he would not have lasted this long.

I'm not reporting anything. Just saying that it's more likely that they'd want to let some other teams see what he can do, than that it signaled an eventual shift from Manning. His contract expires before Manning's, and Manning has said he wants to play as long as he can. I don't know how the two sides are going to approach that contract after 2015, but if Osweiler is still riding pine, I wonder whether he'd stay with them. Just thinking out loud.

That is scary. Food poisoning can be really serious. The announcers kept saying it was the flu.

He a very healthy guy so who knows it was probably a quick bug. I'm always surprised these guys don't have move issues with the travel they do and strict diets many adhere to. 

One more year after this. His skills have diminished substantially but he's still a better option at QB than more than half the league.

Realistically, this is probably his last and best shot at leading a team to another SB. He's not really even leading at this point...been going along for the ride the last 3-4 weeks. Next year his skills will diminish even further.

Unfortunately for Denver there are much better rounded teams out there. Namely NE and to a lesser extent SEA. Arz, too, but thankfully they have no QB. GB is a legit threat as well.

The problem with the situation Peyton is in now is he has to finish the regular season on grass in bad weather and go into the playoffs in bad weather.  Unless the Broncos lose their remaining 2 games and give the Colts the #2 seed the Broncos are outdoors in bad weather through out.  Which has been Peyton's kryptonite.

Only thing is, it's possible for the clouds to part and it's 65 degrees sunny in Denver in January like last years AFC title game against NE which I thought was such a gift for the Broncos.

The problem with the situation Peyton is in now is he has to finish the regular season on grass in bad weather and go into the playoffs in bad weather.  Unless the Broncos lose their remaining 2 games and give the Colts the #2 seed the Broncos are outdoors in bad weather through out.  Which has been Peyton's kryptonite.

Only thing is, it's possible for the clouds to part and it's 65 degrees sunny in Denver in January like last years AFC title game against NE which I thought was such a gift for the Broncos.

SW..its not unusual for it to be 50 degrees in Denver in January

......and the Broncos get a bye and a home game..

I dont think New England wants to see Denver in janauary.. They'd much rather play Cincinatti or Baltimore

SW..its not unusual for it to be 50 degrees in Denver in January

......and the Broncos get a bye and a home game..

I dont think New England wants to see Denver in janauary.. They'd much rather play Cincinatti or Baltimore

I would rather Denver than the Ravens. Would welcome Cincy and/or Pitt and of course the Colts. ;)

You're right.

Yeah, I mean it's not like they pulled Manning for Osweller, Manning left the game rather it was due to the flu or his hip he couldn't play.  They had no choice.  Honestly I think some Colts fans just want to see Manning retire so they don't have to see him in another jersey and some other teams fans just want him to retire so they look for signs he's going to do it when they aren't really there.  I fully expect him to honor his current contract. 

Buyt a.am,...tgat's this board..everything here is Manning-Brady..

You don't think Denver can win in New England but I'd bet the Pats do..

..and they'd much rather see a Baltimore team that is limited on offense

Maybe the players and coaches would rather the Ravens but as a fan I would rather Denver.

Maybe the players and coaches would rather the Ravens but as a fan I would rather Denver.

Be careful what you wish for because on any given day anything can happen and that home field streak can and will be broken someday. Nothing last forever. :)  I just hope in the playoff the calls by the refs are called on both teams no matter who they are makes the playing field the same for both teams. :thmup:

Be careful what you wish for because on any given day anything can happen and that home field streak can and will be broken someday. Nothing last forever. :)  I just hope in the playoff the calls by the refs are called on both teams no matter who they are makes the playing field the same for both teams. :thmup:

Sure. Any given Sunday. But I like the match ups vs Denver for several reasons.

Officiating has been horrible this year. Refs need to be consistent both ways.

He may want to play next year but will it be for Denver? Surely Elway and Fox have seen the writing on the wall to some extent.

Also, I found it interesting that during yesterday's game when Peyton went out before half, Denver got the ball with a minute half and SD with only one timeout. Instead of running the ball and taking a 9-0 lead into half time, they had Osweiller attempt two passes. I think they wanted to see what they had in him even if for just a few plays. That was a very curious sequence.

And after what they saw, they asked Peyton to stop vomiting and go play.

I'm a fan of peyton so keep that in mind when reading my next comments.

I've been watching the Broncos games all season long, I dvr then along with the Colts. Going back and watching, peyton has started to lose some of that one time accuracy. I've noticed a lot of his throws are far too low or way high. He doesn't hit the receiver in stride as he once did, or at least not very. A lot of his medium throws look almost like he's lobbing it up. It's gotten worse all season, I think we are in the final year of the Manning Era. I'm not looking at stats, I'm just looking more at his form and how he's changed in his motions. At least to me anyway