Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A nothing day

oldunclemark

It was definitely not a NOTHING day...I think we learned a few things.

1) We got confirmation that our O-Line still stinks!

2) We got a divisional win

3) Denver Looks Worse as the year goes on (About Right for Manning)

4) Patriots Look Better as the year goes on (About Right for Brady)

5) Anything can happen.

6) Andrew Luck is still making POOR DECISIONS. If there is something I have always admired about MANNING is he knows when to give up. Save face and live to play another down. Lucks's SECOND turnover was absolutely horrible decision making. Luck has a lot of things to work on.

7) Vontae Davis is a great player and well...WELL worth the second round pick we sent for him.

8) Our team learned that they aren't invincible. The Jags D was tough on them yesterday...almost as tough a D as we've seen all year (IMO). The good news is our team actually DID adjust at halftime and get the win

9) It's NEVER too early to start drinking during any game :)

It was definitely not a NOTHING day...I think we learned a few things.

1) We got confirmation that our O-Line still stinks!

2) We got a divisional win

3) Denver Looks Worse as the year goes on (About Right for Manning)

4) Patriots Look Better as the year goes on (About Right for Brady)

5) Anything can happen.

6) Andrew Luck is still making POOR DECISIONS. If there is something I have always admired about MANNING is he knows when to give up. Save face and live to play another down. Lucks's SECOND turnover was absolutely horrible decision making. Luck has a lot of things to work on.

7) Vontae Davis is a great player and well...WELL worth the second round pick we sent for him.

8) Our team learned that they aren't invincible. The Jags D was tough on them yesterday...almost as tough a D as we've seen all year (IMO). The good news is our team actually DID adjust at halftime and get the win

9) It's NEVER too early to start drinking during any game :)

1) I'm still rewatching, but two or three of the sacks are directly on Luck, not the offensive line. Protection wasn't great, but he made poor decisions and/or missed open receivers, leading to the sacks. 

8) The Jags D wasn't tough at all. We turned the ball over three times, taking at least 14 points off the board, and made stupid mistakes on a couple other scoring opportunities. Had nothing to do with the Jags, it was general sloppiness by the offense. The second half adjustment that mattered was we stopped shooting ourselves in the foot. Take away some of those unforced errors, and this is another 44 point outburst.

6) I know this is out of order, but you mentioned Luck's poor decisions, and that's the primary reason for the sloppiness in the first half. His sacks, along with the fumble, and a couple of missed plays on third down as well. He's still young, so I'm not freaking out about it or holding him to the same standard that a veteran QB like Manning should be held to. But his mistakes should not be pushed off on other players, or on the coaches. 

1) I'm still rewatching, but two or three of the sacks are directly on Luck, not the offensive line. Protection wasn't great, but he made poor decisions and/or missed open receivers, leading to the sacks. 

8) The Jags D wasn't tough at all. We turned the ball over three times, taking at least 14 points off the board, and made stupid mistakes on a couple other scoring opportunities. Had nothing to do with the Jags, it was general sloppiness by the offense. The second half adjustment that mattered was we stopped shooting ourselves in the foot. Take away some of those unforced errors, and this is another 44 point outburst.

6) I know this is out of order, but you mentioned Luck's poor decisions, and that's the primary reason for the sloppiness in the first half. His sacks, along with the fumble, and a couple of missed plays on third down as well. He's still young, so I'm not freaking out about it or holding him to the same standard that a veteran QB like Manning should be held to. But his mistakes should not be pushed off on other players, or on the coaches. 

Maybe when Andrew Luck can sit in the pocket and survey the field for a few seconds and throw to a wide open guy named Thomas , he won't make as many poor decisions.  Or Tom Brady seems to look a little better when he has time and open receivers to throw to ? It was the same guy I was watching early in the season ? Yes... Aaron Rodgers is the ultimate stud but where are these other QB's that are being asked to carry a team with no running game and an average defense ? 

Maybe when Andrew Luck can sit in the pocket and survey the field for a few seconds and throw to a wide open guy named Thomas , he won't make as many poor decisions.  Or Tom Brady seems to look a little better when he has time and open receivers to throw to ? It was the same guy I was watching early in the season ? Yes... Aaron Rodgers is the ultimate stud but where are these other QB's that are being asked to carry a team with no running game and an average defense ? 

It's a misconception that Manning and Brady sit in the pocket with time to throw. One of the biggest things that separates them from other QBs is how quickly they get rid of the ball. According to PFF, on average, Manning gets rid of the ball in 2.24 seconds, and Brady in 2.31 seconds. Only Andy Dalton is quicker, getting rid of the ball in 2.2 seconds, on average. Meanwhile, Luck takes 2.66 seconds before he throws. While it might be true that those guys get better protection, Luck would be well served to get rid of the ball sooner (and in his defense, the play structures don't always encourage that). By getting rid of the ball so quickly, those guys neutralize even good pass rush, with or without good protection. They also force defenses to commit to coverage, discouraging blitzing.

Along those same lines, in yesterday's game in particular, Luck missed several opportunities to hit open receivers, leading to sacks. The first sack, on which he got stripped, he had Herron wide open in the flat on the backside. The line gave up some pressure up the middle/right, and outside/left, but there was still room for him to step up and navigate the pocket, or just hit his open receiver. He never looked back, and Clemons was able to knock the ball away. Not great protection, but Luck should have gotten rid of the ball.

Third sack, when Luck fumbled trying to flip the ball ahead (and no matter what else is going on, that's just a dumb decision, and he knows it), he saw pressure coming up the middle on a blitz, and tried to escape to the left, where more pressure was on the way, which he ran right into. But he had Fleener wide open five yards past the LOS on the right side. If he had seen Fleener, he could have rolled to his right -- the more natural way to scramble, by the way -- and hit Fleener for a nice gain. Again, not great protection; they failed to identify the blitz before the snap, and the backside pressure was going to be a problem, but Luck made it worse.

When Luck puts the team on his back and carries them to victory, I give him credit for doing so. So I don't think that, when he makes mistakes, it should be blamed solely on the rest of the team. The protection needs to be more consistent, and the run game needs to get going (it was better yesterday), and the defense has to step up and play better against top competition, but Luck has to get better, also. And he will, I'm sure.

It's a misconception that Manning and Brady sit in the pocket with time to throw. One of the biggest things that separates them from other QBs is how quickly they get rid of the ball. According to PFF, on average, Manning gets rid of the ball in 2.24 seconds, and Brady in 2.31 seconds. Only Andy Dalton is quicker, getting rid of the ball in 2.2 seconds, on average. Meanwhile, Luck takes 2.66 seconds before he throws. While it might be true that those guys get better protection, Luck would be well served to get rid of the ball sooner (and in his defense, the play structures don't always encourage that). By getting rid of the ball so quickly, those guys neutralize even good pass rush, with or without good protection. They also force defenses to commit to coverage, discouraging blitzing.

Along those same lines, in yesterday's game in particular, Luck missed several opportunities to hit open receivers, leading to sacks. The first sack, on which he got stripped, he had Herron wide open in the flat on the backside. The line gave up some pressure up the middle/right, and outside/left, but there was still room for him to step up and navigate the pocket, or just hit his open receiver. He never looked back, and Clemons was able to knock the ball away. Not great protection, but Luck should have gotten rid of the ball.

Third sack, when Luck fumbled trying to flip the ball ahead (and no matter what else is going on, that's just a dumb decision, and he knows it), he saw pressure coming up the middle on a blitz, and tried to escape to the left, where more pressure was on the way, which he ran right into. But he had Fleener wide open five yards past the LOS on the right side. If he had seen Fleener, he could have rolled to his right -- the more natural way to scramble, by the way -- and hit Fleener for a nice gain. Again, not great protection; they failed to identify the blitz before the snap, and the backside pressure was going to be a problem, but Luck made it worse.

When Luck puts the team on his back and carries them to victory, I give him credit for doing so. So I don't think that, when he makes mistakes, it should be blamed solely on the rest of the team. The protection needs to be more consistent, and the run game needs to get going (it was better yesterday), and the defense has to step up and play better against top competition, but Luck has to get better, also. And he will, I'm sure.

Agree on the 3rd sack. The rest we'll agree to disagree on. 

Not to belabor the point, I'm really just curious... Do you not think Luck would be well served to get rid of the ball more quickly?

I really think the answer lies somewhere in the middle of where we both stand. Yeah sometimes he tries to keep a bad play going , maybe will miss an option here or they but I think you might not be realizing sometimes there's just a "jail break" on the O line.

I really think the answer lies somewhere in the middle of where we both stand. Yeah sometimes he tries to keep a bad play going , maybe will miss an option here or they but I think you might not be realizing sometimes there's just a "jail break" on the O line.

I think I acknowledge when the line plays poorly (which is often; look at my grades threads, for example). I just think the difference between Luck and guys like Manning and Brady is more than just the protection. The quickness to throw is the best way to highlight that. It's ironic that, even with better protection, those guys still get rid of the ball more quickly than Luck, on average. 

I think I acknowledge when the line plays poorly (which is often; look at my grades threads, for example). I just think the difference between Luck and guys like Manning and Brady is more than just the protection. The quickness to throw is the best way to highlight that. It's ironic that, even with better protection, those guys still get rid of the ball more quickly than Luck, on average. 

Brady didn't look to stellar when his O line was playing poorly.... You also would need to get me stats how you "score"  the good with bad . I don't see Tom Brady or Peyton Manning making the Andrew Luck type plays. Seems to me when Peyton gets knocked off his spot , he's pretty "human." Like when he said "the O line had issues" in the Pitt game. Did you also forget the terrible decisions he made in the last few plays preceding the Vandy shank ? 

Brady didn't look to stellar when his O line was playing poorly.... You also would need to get me stats how you "score"  the good with bad . I don't see Tom Brady or Peyton Manning making the Andrew Luck type plays. Seems to me when Peyton gets knocked off his spot , he's pretty "human." Like when he said "the O line had issues" in the Pitt game. Did you also forget the terrible decisions he made in the last few plays preceding the Vandy shank ? 

Brady himself said that Luck can do things he can't. That's true of Manning, as well. That doesn't change the fact that Luck doesn't do as well at diagnosing plays early and getting rid of the football as those guys. I'm kind of surprised that it's even a question. Manning is the best in the league, maybe the best, ever, at diagnosing plays before the snap. Brady is excellent at this, also, and has long been considered one of the best at navigating the pocket. Both of those guys are more refined than Luck. So far, that is. I expect that change.

I'm also not sure how picking out a bad game from Manning from nine years ago means anything with regard to Luck having room for improvement at getting rid of the ball. 

I feel like you think I'm picking on Luck. I don't mean to. I'm saying that he's not as good as the two best QBs of the last 15+ years, and the primary thing separating them is something that only comes with experience. I don't think that's a bad thing.

And specific to yesterday's game, people look at 5 sacks and say "OMG, the o-line sucks, why can't we fix it before Luck gets killed and leaves in free agency!!!!" And, as I'm reviewing the game, I think Luck making poor decisions was a major factor in those five sacks, even when the pressure seemed to come right away.

There were times Luck has been just as responsible for his sacks as the O line.....but thats the youth in him....that first strip sack was on him....he had plenty of time to get the ball out...he teies to get the big play too often when sometimes a checkdown would actually be better

Brady himself said that Luck can do things he can't. That's true of Manning, as well. That doesn't change the fact that Luck doesn't do as well at diagnosing plays early and getting rid of the football as those guys. I'm kind of surprised that it's even a question. Manning is the best in the league, maybe the best, ever, at diagnosing plays before the snap. Brady is excellent at this, also, and has long been considered one of the best at navigating the pocket. Both of those guys are more refined than Luck. So far, that is. I expect that change.

I'm also not sure how picking out a bad game from Manning from nine years ago means anything with regard to Luck having room for improvement at getting rid of the ball. 

I feel like you think I'm picking on Luck. I don't mean to. I'm saying that he's not as good as the two best QBs of the last 15+ years, and the primary thing separating them is something that only comes with experience. I don't think that's a bad thing.

And specific to yesterday's game, people look at 5 sacks and say "OMG, the o-line sucks, why can't we fix it before Luck gets killed and leaves in free agency!!!!" And, as I'm reviewing the game, I think Luck making poor decisions was a major factor in those five sacks, even when the pressure seemed to come right away.

Not picking on 1 game . Just pointing out the fact that if you knock Manning off his mark , he's in trouble. I know 9-11 is not all his fault , but no doubt some of it lies there. Don't be amazed that some people are going to disagree with you. It's going to happen every now and then. You look at yesterday's game and seem to blame the sacks on Luck. I look at it and blame most on the offensive line. This is what makes for discussion I guess. Just don't start putting words in\to my mouth like some Women pat fans do. I never said that Luck was a better QB than Brady or Manning. I'm saying that both those guys are afforded better teams and personal than Luck is.

I guess I'm saying most of them make some boneheaded plays when they think they have to make a play for their team. Remember that horrible throw Manning made across his body when the Ravens beat them in the playoffs ? I mean .. where in the world did he ever feel he had enough arm to make that throw? Happens