Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

colts fan after peyton retires

Colts420

Pulling for a player rather than a team is pretty rare outside of North America. Probably driven by soccer, fanatical support of the team is king, virtually everywhere else, or at least where soccer is the main sport.

I have never heard of a soccer fan shifting his allegiances to another team because a player is transfered. Plenty follow a player (example, Beckham), but they wouldn't jump from Manchester United to Real Madrid to LA Galaxy etc.

I got into a few squabbles with FX and Mac during the whole Manning debacle, but eventually understood that fandom can be a little different in America than, say, Europe.

Yeah, things are sometimes different over here. But mostly, people are fans of teams. In certain instances, a player comes along who transcends normal fandom. I think Manning qualifies. LeBron James is another example.

To be clear, part of of what I'm saying is in reference to a particular thread (@Broncos Forum) in which staff members here were being named personally, mentioned as bad people just for doing their particularly thankless task. I was infuriated at the nerve being bolstered, particular because it was coming from fans that used to cheer right along side us. 

Nadine specifically was a target of character assassination, and I wasn't having it, even if she does twack me with the mod stick now and then. 

I get it. Glad you were there to carry the torch, so to speak.

What makes you think just because there are some who are what they call die hard fans like being called sheep any better? I am a Colt fan but not blind to the facts that not everything involved around  the Colts is peaches and cream. If you are a NFL fan with no one team you root for that's fine. But calling us sheep because we follow one team is not only narrow minded it is self centered. If you get sick over what you call the real fan argument then you are taking yourself way too serious.

There is a difference between following a team and being a sheep.  I am a huge Colts fan, but I am not obligated to agree with everything that the Colts do.

You're blowing one little thing I said out of proportion without even staying on the topic. The thread is about all of the fans that became Broncos fans when Peyton left Indy. But I'll respond anyway. Real fans stick with their team no matter what through thick and thin, not on some fairweather stuff. There are a lot of Ravens fans who support Ray Rice as well as the team anyway. They felt he was wrong but at the same time was personal and the suspension was a bit out of line. I said in my second post if you read it that the NFL is a business as well as entertainment. I'm not blind to the things that the Colts organization do either. They make decisions that I don't agree with as well but I'll still support the team 100 percent. If you're a fan of another team more power to you. 

So if a prominent Colts player beat his wife today, you would give him a standing ovation at the next home game?

"Peyton fans" aren't coming back because they hate this organization for the perceived wrong we committed toward #18.

The Broncos board is full of them. There are several longtime members of this board that I can name (but won't) off the top-o-my-head that defected from this team, this board, and they went over there to suddenly became "huge Broncos fans". They trash this team, this city and even the members of this board.

When Peyton retires, they will be lost in a vacuum of their own device, but they certainly won't come back here.

Although I miss some of my old friends that left I hope they never come back. Been a Colts fan since 1958 before PM got here and will be forever even if he doesn't come back Here and if he retired a Bronco. Colts fan even with empty

uniforms!!!

You're blowing one little thing I said out of proportion without even staying on the topic. The thread is about all of the fans that became Broncos fans when Peyton left Indy. But I'll respond anyway. Real fans stick with their team no matter what through thick and thin, not on some fairweather stuff. There are a lot of Ravens fans who support Ray Rice as well as the team anyway. They felt he was wrong but at the same time was personal and the suspension was a bit out of line. I said in my second post if you read it that the NFL is a business as well as entertainment. I'm not blind to the things that the Colts organization do either. They make decisions that I don't agree with as well but I'll still support the team 100 percent. If you're a fan of another team more power to you. 

So if Andrew Luck throws 5 INTs tonight and I criticize his decision making I am a bandwagon fan?

I really don't care what a player does in their personal life regardless if I agree with it or not. 

You realize Ravens fans gave Ray Rice a standing ovation out of support for what was going on in his personal life, right?

So you don't have to care what they do in their personal life, but that probably means you wouldn't have been cheering for him, right?

You realize Ravens fans gave Ray Rice a standing ovation out of support for what was going on in his personal life, right?

So you don't have to care what they do in their personal life, but that probably means you wouldn't have been cheering for him, right?

Yes I would that's why I said I don't care. I also said in another post that Ravens fans are still supporting Ray Rice.

That's weird, IMO.

It's one thing to not care. It's another to actively cheer for him because of his criminal activity. 

Players are regular people just like you and me, and everybody makes dumb decisions from time to time. With that being said now that I think about it I wouldn't support Ray Rice. Even though that's his personal business he crossed the line with what he did. 

Players are regular people just like you and me, and everybody makes dumb decisions from time to time. With that being said now that I think about it I wouldn't support Ray Rice. Even though that's his personal business he crossed the line with what he did. 

Yeah, it's completely off topic, but I wouldn't be part of a standing ovation in that situation. I'm not one of these guys saying he should burn at the stake, either, but I wouldn't be voicing support for him in that situation.

Yeah, it's completely off topic, but I wouldn't be part of a standing ovation in that situation. I'm not one of these guys saying he should burn at the stake, either, but I wouldn't be voicing support for him in that situation.

That's right, but it didn't suprise me that he got a standing ovation. You'd be suprised how many people don't have a problem with domestic abuse. 

Yeah, things are sometimes different over here. But mostly, people are fans of teams. In certain instances, a player comes along who transcends normal fandom. I think Manning qualifies. LeBron James is another example.

Yep, but never known a soccer player to have that effect. No Barcelona fan would change teams if Messi left Barcelona. In fact, people tend to get hostile at the players when they leave, where in the NFL at least, the player is generally the innocent party, it's the owner / GM's that get the hate.

All very strange.

Yep, but never known a soccer player to have that effect. No Barcelona fan would change teams if Messi left Barcelona. In fact, people tend to get hostile at the players when they leave, where in the NFL at least, the player is generally the innocent party, it's the owner / GM's that get the hate.

All very strange.

I don't know how your leagues work over there, but things like the salary cap and a ton of player movement, I think that's generated a different climate for American sports. Like you said, it's on the owners, and I don't think Messi would ever have to leave Barcelona. Manning had to leave Indy. 

LeBron got a lot of hate for leaving Cleveland, also, since it was his choice. But he also had a lot of bandwagon fans switch loyalties to Miami, and some of them have switched back to Cleveland again now that he's gone back. 

In all, the Manning situation is VERY rare, and probably unique. Other big time QBs have switched teams late in their career -- Unitas, Namath, Montana, etc. -- but none of them went on to have the success that Manning has had in their late career stops. Etc., etc., I just think Manning is different than pretty much anyone else.

420 says it all...  

Mile High and in love with OUR OLD GIRLFRIEND..     heeheeeee    It's all good, Peyton will always be a Colt and a COLT FIRST>          

But for now...     he is a BRONCO.   

I bet Pappa J's is raking in the $$$$  ..  well sales may have let off after the first Q Sunday at about ...    5pm CENTRAL.  

LOL

I know this is a question that comes up all the time and I know you cant stop someone being a fan. I have a friend who rips on the colts every chance he gets because he claims to be a big peyton manning fan. So naturally he roots for the broncos now. How salty would you feel as  a colt fan for all those fans who left us to come back?

I don't know how your leagues work over there, but things like the salary cap and a ton of player movement, I think that's generated a different climate for American sports. Like you said, it's on the owners, and I don't think Messi would ever have to leave Barcelona. Manning had to leave Indy. 

LeBron got a lot of hate for leaving Cleveland, also, since it was his choice. But he also had a lot of bandwagon fans switch loyalties to Miami, and some of them have switched back to Cleveland again now that he's gone back. 

In all, the Manning situation is VERY rare, and probably unique. Other big time QBs have switched teams late in their career -- Unitas, Namath, Montana, etc. -- but none of them went on to have the success that Manning has had in their late career stops. Etc., etc., I just think Manning is different than pretty much anyone else.

Very true and for ONE reason.      ANDREW LUCK. ...  and the fortune to have the number one pick with the number one prospect at QB AGAIN.    Indy is truly blessed.

And i might add...     NO true Colt fan will not cheer on Peyton if the Colts are out of the picture.     Peyton was a really big fixture in Indy for a very long and successful time.

These silly troll type threads never cease to annoy me....  

I know this is a question that comes up all the time and I know you cant stop someone being a fan. I have a friend who rips on the colts every chance he gets because he claims to be a big peyton manning fan. So naturally he roots for the broncos now. How salty would you feel as  a colt fan for all those fans who left us to come back?

I love Peyton too and I cheer for him every game. Every game except when he plays the COLTS. Colts fan first. Been one ever since they came over on the mayflower.

And i might add... NO true Colt fan will not cheer on Peyton if the Colts are out of the picture. Peyton was a really big fixture in Indy for a very long and successful time.

These silly troll type threads never cease to annoy me....

I don't cheer for Peyton, do I have to turn in my fandom to anyone specific?

420 says it all...  

Mile High and in love with OUR OLD GIRLFRIEND..     heeheeeee    It's all good, Peyton will always be a Colt and a COLT FIRST>          

But for now...     he is a BRONCO.   

I bet Pappa J's is raking in the $$$$  ..  well sales may have let off after the first Q Sunday at about ...    5pm CENTRAL.  

LOL

Since they legalized marijuana, pizza sales went way up, and violent crime went way down. These are the kind of facts that should give us some pause for laughter. 

For Froggy's sake...     When you are a LOT older you will BRAG to your little minions about how you witnessed the GOAT.

whatever....     fandom shamandom...     I got to see a really great player for a lot of games and I really respect him even more the older he gets.    How could anyone not?   WHO was a Colt fan?   

Unless he ....           .         which...    I doubt .

I don't cheer for Peyton, do I have to turn in my fandom to anyone specific?

For Froggy's sake... When you are a LOT older you will BRAG to your little minions about how you witnessed the GOAT.

whatever.... fandom shamandom... I got to see a really great player for a lot of games and I really respect him even more the older he gets. How could anyone not? WHO was a Colt fan?

Unless he .... . which... I doubt .

How old do I need to be? Also how old am I now. Fill me in because I forget, but you seem to be privy to those details.

Also never said I don't respect Peyton, just don't cheer for him anymore.

To be completely honest I know zero fans that left the Colts because of Peyton leaving.  I work with a Bears fan that is still sick over how well everything worked out for the Colts.  RG3 stinks and Luck is great.  Manning is great and him playing for the Broncos just gives the Indy fans at work an extra team to root for.