Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The "safety"

RockThatBlue

seems like we dont know the rules well alot of people but am sure i heard mike carey say aslong as he releases the ball out the endzone its not a safety

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000419582/article/blandino-correct-calls-on-steve-smith-andrew-luck

"This was an obvious call," Blandino said. "He has to get the ball in an area where there's an eligible receiver. And when we talk about whether this is a safety or not, you can see his body is in the end zone, and the key is, in order for it not to be a safety, his entire body and the ball must be in the field of play when the ball is released. So this is intentional grounding. It is a safety."

Lol. So who is correct Blandino or Carey?

The call was correct. Period

Well I think he might of had his hand out of the endzone when he released the ball but what I will say is this - the evidence wasn't overwhelmingly obvious one way or another and we had no business winning that game. There's really no reason to debate it at this point.

The outcome of the game did not come down to this one play. Luck and the offense were put in a bad situation by very poor defense. You let any QB throw for over 500 yards and 6 TDs the Colts were lucky even to have been in the game. Why even discuss one bad play the offense made when their backs were against the wall the whole game. We gave up 28 points in one quarter. For those who point a finger at Luck and saying what he could have or should have done is just plain nit picking. Without Luck it would have been one of the worst beat downs this team has ever taken.

It did play a role IMO. We could have marched down the field and tied it, or cut it to a 1 point game. Which could have changed the outcome of the game. The call pretty much ended any shot of a comeback.

It did play a role IMO. We could have marched down the field and tied it, or cut it to a 1 point game. Which could have changed the outcome of the game. The call pretty much ended any shot of a comeback.

Not when the Colts never scored another point. The Steelers were up by 8 points when the safety occurred. That made it 10. The Colts defense couldn't hold and the Steelers scored another TD. Colts never scored in the 4th quarter so blaming one play and not mentioning the defense (who couldn't stop anything) is being narrow minded about the whole game in itself.

Not when the Colts never scored another point. The Steelers were up by 8 points when the safety occurred. That made it 10. The Colts defense couldn't hold and the Steelers scored another TD. Colts never scored in the 4th quarter so blaming one play and not mentioning the defense (who couldn't stop anything) is being narrow minded about the whole game in itself.

Of course the defense sucked, thats no secret. But still, crazier things have happened. Maybe we score there and tie it with a two point conversion, and maybe that changes the game completely, maybe not. Who knows what could have happened

Luck had to make a split split second decision, yes, a double split second decision, I think he made the right one there because forward progress would have only applied if he was in process of running and since he wasn't he was likely to be tackled inside the end zone. I think he felt and I would agree he was just a fraction outside the end zone when the ball was thrown.

Regardless it was definitely intentional grounding but unfortunate they called it inside the end zone.

Does the ball have to be out or the ball and QB?

I pulled up the rules and the best fit is this-

************************************************************************************************************

Section 2 Intentional Grounding

Article 1 Definition.

It is a foul for intentional grounding if a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage because of pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion. A realistic chance of completion is defined as a pass that lands in the direction and the vicinity of an originally eligible receiver

Penalty:

( c )  if the passer is in his end zone when the ball is thrown, it is a safety.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

Nothing about ball, which I believe the pertains to the entering of the end zone in other rules, not out.  But it says passer, and nothing about all in or all out.  So I assume if any part or all of the passer is in the end zone, the passer is considered in the end zone.  This is how it reads and how Dean Blandino is interpreting it on sound bytes to the media outlets.  As you can see, Luck is completely in the end zone (except for his forearm and the ball) when he throws this pass.

Butt_Safety2_zpsd14f3049.png

Of course the defense sucked, thats no secret. But still, crazier things have happened. Maybe we score there and tie it with a two point conversion, and maybe that changes the game completely, maybe not. Who knows what could have happened

"If" is the smallest word in the dictionary with the most meanings. My take is no team can let one play determine the outcome of the game. If so, they didn't play well enough to win in the first place.