Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grades: Week 5 vs Ravens

Superman

-11colts05mk.jpg20141005.jpg

Box score

Callin 'em Out

Week 4 grades

First big win of the season, against a "ranked" opponent. Sloppy at times, but a decisive victory, led by the defense. Gonna try to make this a little shorter than usual; it's already time for the Texans game.

Defense, B+: 57 plays, 287 yards, 15 first downs (9 passing, 4 rushing, 2 from penalty), 1/11 on third down, 1/3 on fourth down, 1/3 in the red zone, 3 turnovers, 13 points; aside from a couple of drives and a few penalties, the Ravens weren't doing much of anything

Defensive front: The middle of the line got pushed back on some run plays, which led to a few big gains, and then there was the 29 yarder against the near prevent. Those five or six substantial run plays were annoying. The other 10 carries or so were pretty well shut down. The pass rush was on the job, collapsing the pocket,  getting inside push, and making a mess of the Ravens pass game. The blitzes were well done, and of course, Bjoern got off the schneid (that's German, right?) A lot of people called for him to finally make it happen, and he did. B, much better pass rush, need to do better getting off blocks in the middle

Pass defense: Davis is still the man, and he's making plays. The safety play was excellent, and Adams made some really good plays also. Freeman being back is great, but he got worked by Owen Daniels a couple times. The middle coverage was still exploited, for 153 of 235 yards. Underneath coverage was good, and we tackled well, mostly. Got called for some bogus penalties, again. Holding their passing game to 5.9 adjusted yards/attempt and no TDs is strong. Only three attempts went more than 20 yards downfield, and none of them connected. The staff talked about a "no fly zone" last year; this is it. B+, left side is still shut down, and if the pass rush works, the underneath stuff gets shut down, but the middle is still soft

Offense, C+: 80 plays, 422 yards, 26 first downs (19 passing, 6 rushing, 1 from penalty), 7/15 on third down, 0/1 on fourth down, 2/5 in the red zone, 4 turnovers, 20 points; struggled taking care of the ball and with the ground game

QB: Didn't necessarily come crashing down to earth, as he still made big plays and put it in the end zone twice, but the picks were very costly, and both avoidable. Neither was necessarily due to him throwing the ball to the defense; one he was hit on, the other was tipped. But he still either held the ball too long when he could have run, or he tried to force the ball to a well covered receiver. He beat himself up after both, because they were both bad decisions, and everyone knew it. But then the scrambles caught the Ravens off guard, and he threaded the needle in the short and intermediate game, getting chunks and scores when the time came. I thought he missed some end zone throws to Nicks and Wayne. This game was still better than the first two of the season, but not the star effort we saw recently.  C, 9 picks last year, 6 picks through 5 games so far

Backs / receivers / tight ends, C+: 
Running game: Better production than last week, and a few good carries, but also some lost opportunities by both backs by not finding the hole or being slow to get through it. That's the usual with Richardson, but Bradshaw seemed to make the same mistakes this week. Plus, he had the fumble with the game on the line. Both guys ran hard, broke several tackles (9 missed tackles, per PFF), got extra yardage, etc., the typical stuff. Just need to do better hitting the hole when it's actually there. C+, five carries out of 24 account for 52 of 105 rushing yards

Passing game: Not as prominent in this game, but still productive. No dropped passes, no real mistakes. The penalties on Reggie wiped out some plays. I thought Nicks got robbed of a first down on the first drive. The pass protection allowed the guys to come open for some nice gains, with several for 20+.The comeback routes sometimes seem unstoppable. I'd like to see us hit some of those deep balls, but the Ravens seemed very disciplined with their coverage down the field. B-, need more immediate separation

OL / blocking:  The run blocking was up and down, but I thought there was some good push and some good holes at times. The upback carry by Bradshaw was really well done, with a nice block by the new starting center. The second level blocking wasn't very good, as we missed the linebackers on pulls and some screens. Some blitzes hurt us, so the line calls still need to be better. Cherilus and Thornton got beat on some pass rushes. Surprisingly, Fleener did a really good job pass blocking and run blocking. Harrison's mistakes are concerning, but hopefully they'll get better with more experience. C+,  I didn't think the line suffered with Harrison, but I didn't think it was better, either

Special teams: McAfee and AV were just as good as usual, and the punt and kickoff coverage was great. Whalen made a bunch of mistakes as a returner, which is the opposite of what he usually does. He can't keep the job if he doesn't secure the ball. B-

Coaching / playcalling / game management, B:
Really good defensive game plan, nice blitz schemes which seemed to work most of the time, the high/low coverage by Adams and Davis that led to the pick was a really good play call, and executed perfectly. Manusky seems to be putting the guys in better position. B+, still soft across the middle

Offense sputtered, but I had no problem with the play calling. I don't like the sprint-outs; would rather see play action roll outs. I could probably complain about the pass:run ratio, but against a good run defense, I understand. B

I didn't think the 4th down try was necessary at all. I think the points should have been more important. And that led to a failed challenge. It was early enough in the game that neither issue was a big deal, and the defense got the ball right back. No other real game management situations to consider. B-

Game ball:

Bjoern Werner, finally answered the call and took the QB down, and then did it again. Really good pass rushes throughout, had a few really good stops, and knocked a pass down. My favorite play was a run stop, where he showed the change of direction that we need our OLBs to have. I hope he can keep it going.

Next, @ Houston on Thursday. JJ Watt will have something to say about the outcome of this game.

GO COLTS!!!

As always Superman I largely agree with the gradings. 

Only nitpicks I might have would be a slightly higher grade for Luck (C+/B-) as I think he redeemed himself sufficiently and as is he often does made clutch plays at crucial points to carry the game for us. That's not to say his drop in performance should be glossed over. That 1st drive looked like we'd carried right on from the last 2 weeks until it stuttered, from then on it looked like we lost our way on O for pretty much all the 1st half and the start of the 2nd. I don't quite agree in that the 4th down attempt was unnecessary, I'm of the mindset most NFL HCs are too conservative when it comes to 4th downs but of course it all depends on the situation and I'd be interested to see the percentage numbers on it. I can understand the challenge as well, the spotting of the ball by the Refs I though was wildly inconsistent for both teams throughout the game. 

The major talking point on O, namely Harrison was interesting. The botched snaps will stick in fans' minds but from a very scant eye test watching the game he looked solid in pass blocking if a little whiffy in run blocking. I think long term he's a better prospect though I'm not sure where that leaves Shipley who's not strong enough to play G in my eyes and do we really want to carry a backup Olineman who can only play C? It would be harsh after performing so well but that's the business. Be funny if we can get anything trade wise for him, should be easy right, I mean people were falling over themselves to trade for our backup Kicker :P

I was very pleased with the D, as you say, holding the Flacco/Smith combination to such low numbers shows that the last 2 weeks weren't just gifts of the schedule. Contrary to what our resident DB expert believes Davis is playing lights out so far and long may in continue. Adams has looked more than serviceable in the last 2 games too which is a major bonus. Werner looked lively all day and aside from his 2 sacks seemed to be getting a consistent pressure on Flacco (I've not checked but was it Werner getting a piggyback on Joe when he completed that pass after being dead to rights for a sack?). 

Whalen I think should be given a little leeway, but he needs to recognise he's back there for his safe hands not for his take it to the house playmaking. If he's going to take stupid risks then you might as well swap him for someone who has got the ability to get the pay off from the risk.

All in all a ugly win but an oddly satisfying one after such a frustrating viewing, but then I blame the Ravens as much as the Colts for that. Both teams made a myriad of mistakes. 

I thought Manusky was fabulous in his play calling.  Guys were coming from everywhere and he has done a really good job of setting up his blitzing packages such that we can come from anywhere with basically anybody in the front 7 to get pressure.  Bjoern, Redding, and even Sergio answered the call nicely, but it's great seeing us getting the opponents OL off balance and missing blocks.  That's all Manusky right there.  Excellent game plan on his end.

I'm with you on Pagano's challenge, thought it was unnecessary and wished we had taken the points.  In a generally low scoring affair (which it was early enough, you couldn't have predicted it would have been 6-3 at the half, even if unsurprising so I can't hold that against Chuck), you want all the points you can, especially early on in the game.  But hindsight is 20/20.  I didn't hate the call, but I would have done it differently.  As you said, we got the ball right back, so no harm no foul.

Luck's throws have generally been spot on in the short-intermediate game, but I still get concerned with how he can hit the bullseye on one play and miss so badly on the next.  I suppose it happens with any QB, especially when he's on the run.  I'm okay with it generally, but I think Luck's competitiveness puts us in bad situations at times.  The interception to Bradshaw is case in point.  If I recall, he had an easy 5 yard gain or first down.  When he's rolling out of hte pocket, that should be the time where he's a bit more cautious than when he's forcing a throw while upright in the pocket.  A nitpick, given that he makes those plays more often than not, I'd just like to see improvement in his decision making.  Take the yards and for the love of god, slide instead of diving so you don't get sandwhiched between two guys spearing you in the head.

Thanks again Superman.  One of my favorite threads on this forum and I appreciate the time the energy it takes to put it out.

I did want to focus on this statement by you. "The pass rush was on the job, collapsing the pocket,  getting inside push, and making a mess of the Ravens pass game. "

That was an excellent observation and the thing, IMO, that has been missing from the Colts pass rush the first 4 games.  Walden and Werner were getting around the corner but the QB had a huge area in front to step and make the throw.  The front three did an excellent job of pushing that pocket which helped flush Flacco out of the pocket and made things tough for the passing game.

Great write up (or right up) and thanks again.

I did want to focus on this statement by you. "The pass rush was on the job, collapsing the pocket,  getting inside push, and making a mess of the Ravens pass game. "

That was an excellent observation and the thing, IMO, that has been missing from the Colts pass rush the first 4 games.  Walden and Werner were getting around the corner but the QB had a huge area in front to step and make the throw.  The front three did an excellent job of pushing that pocket which helped flush Flacco out of the pocket and made things tough for the passing game.

I agree with you that it was missing early on in the season, but disagree about the "4 games" portion.  In the first two games, it was practically absent - 1 sack and 7 QB hits combined against DEN and PHI (average of 0.5 sacks and 3.5 QB hits per game) - I'm with you so far.  Where I disagree is the last three games.  Against JAX, TEN, and BAL, a combined 11 sacks and 18 QB hits (an average of 3.7 sacks and 6 QB hits per game).  It was missing, but in the last 3 games, our pass rush has been nothing short of productive. 

It could always be better of course, and certainly you have to acknowledge the fact that 7 sacks and 12 QB hits were against JAX and TEN.  But going into this game, all we heard was how well BAL's O-line was protecting Flacco, and well, we continued the same trend and caused major problems in the backfield for Flacco on Sunday.  So I think we can both agree that the Colts pass rush the past couple of games has proved promising.

I agree with you that it was missing early on in the season, but disagree about the "4 games" portion.  In the first two games, it was practically absent - 1 sack and 7 QB hits combined against DEN and PHI (average of 0.5 sacks and 3.5 QB hits per game) - I'm with you so far.  Where I disagree is the last three games.  Against JAX, TEN, and BAL, a combined 11 sacks and 18 QB hits (an average of 3.7 sacks and 6 QB hits per game).  It was missing, but in the last 3 games, our pass rush has been nothing short of productive. 

It could always be better of course, and certainly you have to acknowledge the fact that 7 sacks and 12 QB hits were against JAX and TEN.  But going into this game, all we heard was how well BAL's O-line was protecting Flacco, and well, we continued the same trend and caused major problems in the backfield for Flacco on Sunday.  So I think we can both agree that the Colts pass rush the past couple of games has proved promising.

I'm not talking about the overall pass rush, I'm talking about the push up the middle and it wan't there consistently in the Jax or Tenn. games.

Defense gets an A Our Defense completely won the game for us. The Colts got 4 sacks on the Ravens that have only allowed 4 the last 4 games. Plus they held the Ravens under 300 total yards. I'll include Manusky in this, because the blitzing creativity was impressive and worked because our pass defense was fantastic. 

Offense gets a C They left waaaaay too many points on the board. They need to work on deep passes as well. I'd like to see more Moncreif on the field and less 3 TE sets. 

Special Teams gets an A (not counting Whalen, as he made too many dumb decisions) 

Consistently pinning the opponent in no man's land is becoming the norm, and Patty Mac is a stud. Plus there's this: 

ca6e470f068d5fbb8d3ee0ac06f0427c.gif?141

I don't know how we can chastise Luck for tipped ball Interceptions. 4 or 5 of his picks are tipped balls.

And there are four or five dropped interceptions. It usually evens out over the course of the season.

I don't mean to chastise him for the two picks in the Ravens game, but the first one I thought he invited the hit when he could have gotten rid of the ball, and the second one he shouldn't have thrown, period. 

I like Andy Benoit of SI breakdown when he watches films of games, he is some stuff from the Ravens game:

@Andy_Benoit: #Colts Film: Luck 18-yd TD scramble up middle vs. ¼ ¼ ½ zone, underneath routes and check-down concept widened the key linebackers.

@Andy_Benoit: #Colts Film: Richardson a few times flashed lateral agility behind LOS to make clean defenders miss in the hole.

@Andy_Benoit: #Colts Film: Allen 28 yds a big time anticipation throw by Luck through interior zones.

@Andy_Benoit: #Colts Film: Fleener 30 yds a great Cover 3 route beating concept. Through play design is generally where Fleener’s touches come from.

@Andy_Benoit: #Colts Film: Luck was late on multiple downfield throws. Not his sharpest game in this sense.

@Andy_Benoit: #Colts Film: Allen TD was a double crosser concept that presented front side rollout options and backside options. Luck poise and awareness

@Andy_Benoit: #Ravens Film: D's coverage not as sharp as seemed on surface. Cases of receivers turned loose but play flow not allowing ball to go there.

@Andy_Benoit: Film: #Colts had some flashes of nice run-blocking on the perimeters. Richardson 14 yds one example.

@Andy_Benoit: #Colts Film: Luck left a TD to Allen corner route on field from empty, threw underneath.

@Andy_Benoit: #Colts Film: O continues to create favorable matchups through shifts. Allen 10 yds he shifted from FB to base slot, got him against Dumervil

@Andy_Benoit: #Colts Film: Luck excellent footwork and pocket climbing. Helps his own protection.

@Andy_Benoit: Film: #Colts heavy use of play-action, much of it long developing.

@Andy_Benoit: #Ravens #Colts Film: Ngata INT Luck waited too long on Nicks deep corner route. Would have been a TD, but Mosley green dog blitz got there.

@Andy_Benoit: Film: #Ravens game-planned to play 2 high safeties. Teams do that vs. #Colts poor running game now.

@Andy_Benoit: #Colts Fiilm: Fleener wide open down seam on first play, never gave an indication he was expecting ball. Luck checked it down.

@Andy_Benoit: #Colts Film: Cherilus had a few pass pro issues down the stretch. Tendency to play too tall.

Good stuff.

I disagree on a couple things, like his statement about play action. PFF charts 7 out of 53 dropbacks as play action. That's nowhere near enough. PFF might not call some plays play action because Luck doesn't always show the ball when he turns his back to the defense, so there might be another 5 play action dropbacks in the Ravens game. That's 22%, but that's hardly "heavy use of play action," IMO. I'd prefer the 36% from the Jags game.