Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos release Matt Prater

oldunclemark

I'm wondering if there things about Matt Prater than haven't come out...

He showed up out of shape, looked bad in the preseason, the suspension.. Combine that with McManus presumeably impressing in practice and Prater's huge salary and I don't think there needs to be much more to the story. I assume the Lions will bring him in for a workout.

He showed up out of shape, looked bad in the preseason, the suspension.. Combine that with McManus presumeably impressing in practice and Prater's huge salary and I don't think there needs to be much more to the story. I assume the Lions will bring him in for a workout.

There does, Dr. No. There does to me. \\\Do you throw away 6 years..and Playoff experience for a guy you've known 6 weeks?

Prater's salary is huge only for a kicker

He must still not be in shape..for whatever reasons..Prater is a guy who almost never failed the Broncos as a kicker

I was kind of shocked to see that Prater had been the longest tenured Bronco at the time of his being cut.

It's not incredibly shocking when you realize that Elway has churned the roster hard the last 3 years, essentially turning it in to the home for declining probowlers. I really wonder what he's going to do in like 2 years when half his team retires.

I don't see why anyone would make a big deal out of an out of shape suspended kicker getting cut. I know he was good in the past but it seems he didn't take his job all that serious.

He has been the best kicker in Broncos history. And it is not that he does not take his job seriously, he is an alcoholic.

It's not incredibly shocking when you realize that Elway has churned the roster hard the last 3 years, essentially turning it in to the home for declining probowlers. I really wonder what he's going to do in like 2 years when half his team retires.

That's a myth.

Denver is actually in the bottom half of the NFL where it comes to age

I don't see why anyone would make a big deal out of an out of shape suspended kicker getting cut. I know he was good in the past but it seems he didn't take his job all that serious.

That's what I'm wondering about . CC..

Did they see something in Prater's '4-week vacation' that was a bad sign...?

He was a great kicker but nobody knew that more than the Broncos.

That's what I'm wondering about . CC..

Did they see something in Prater's '4-week vacation' that was a bad sign...?

He was a great kicker but nobody knew that more than the Broncos.

I don't believe suspended players are allowed to be with the team for practice or meetings so my guess is they made their decision solely based on his off-field issues and their confidence in their new kicker.

He has been the best kicker in Broncos history. And it is not that he does not take his job seriously, he is an alcoholic.

History has no bearing in this. The NFL has help for those who want to help themselves. Making excuses for an abuser is not the answer. If he is not mentally strong enough to honor his contract then he don't deserve the contract. Letting his team mates and the fans down also enters the equation. He had four weeks to get himself in order but failed. There is no excuse.

History has no bearing in this. The NFL has help for those who want to help themselves. Making excuses for an abuser is not the answer. If he is not mentally strong enough to honor his contract then he don't deserve the contract. Letting his team mates and the fans down also enters the equation. He had four weeks to get himself in order but failed. There is no excuse.

Who is making excuses? You said he does not take his job seriously. He was the best kicker in Broncos history. That does not happen without tremendous dedication and work at this craft. Obviously, his issues with alcohol which has led to his release. I have never had addiction issues so I can't speak to how difficult they are to overcome but I have heard enough testimonies to know that people often want to overcome but can't. I hardly blame him for that. He has been in the treatment program I believe since 2011.