Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Has..could Have A Bigger Shadow To Play Under

dn4192

There are those who think Luck will not want to come here because you never really want to be the person who replaced the Legend, but the person who replaced the person who replaced the Legend. Well that may be true and it does take a special type of player to do that, but it has happen before..

Steve Young had to come in and replace someone who took a laughing stock franchise to greatness and multple SB victories and he did okay

Aaron Rogers came into what has to be the most difficult positions with a franchise like no other in pro sports and had to replace a legend and done okay..

So it is possible, I think it takes a special person and player and a franchise willing to do what it needs to make the move that benifts the new player over the one he is replacing, so it will be intersting to see if the Colts can do that and see if they can pull it off.

So would Peytons replacement have a more difficult situation over say Rogers or Young had?

The colts have been looking at getting backups for peyton ever since mark sanchez and before that, them not getting one in the earlier rounds puzzles me... they were thinking of drafting andy dalton but they didnt... now they are in a very good position to draft any one they want... hopefully they skip luck and go for more picks.. they can get a good QB later in the first round.

Manning's shadow is big, but I think getting out of Montana's was huge. Watching him play while I was growing up was special and there is a reason why he's the best QB of all time. The shadow of the greatest QB is always hard to follow.

Another tough shadow is the one of Johnny Unitas. Bert Jones was stuck in his shadow in the 70's and although he was good, he never escaped it.

Manning's shadow is a big one and although I think the QB will need a couple of MVPs and SBs, it's going to be very hard to get out of it, but Rodgers got out of Favre's very quickly so who knows?

There are those who think Luck will not want to come here because you never really want to be the person who replaced the Legend, but the person who replaced the person who replaced the Legend. Well that may be true and it does take a special type of player to do that, but it has happen before..

Steve Young had to come in and replace someone who took a laughing stock franchise to greatness and multple SB victories and he did okay

Aaron Rogers came into what has to be the most difficult positions with a franchise like no other in pro sports and had to replace a legend and done okay..

So it is possible, I think it takes a special person and player and a franchise willing to do what it needs to make the move that benifts the new player over the one he is replacing, so it will be intersting to see if the Colts can do that and see if they can pull it off.

So would Peytons replacement have a more difficult situation over say Rogers or Young had?

Does every thought that pops into your head make it as a thread topic?

Or better said would probably be "what do I feel like arguing about now?"

Or even better - "what can I start a thread on that will enable me to argue both sides?"

I would say that the Favre/Manning shadow was bigger than Montana's mainly for the reason that Young & Montana shared the team for various years as opposed to only replacing him like Favre and whoever replaces Manning whenever he is done has to. Montana & Young were peers. I don't really consider Rodgers & Favre as peers even though they played on a few of the same teams. Marino's & Elway's shadows would be larger than Montana too, considering what they meant to their teams and their lack of success.

Does every thought that pops into your head make it as a thread topic?

Or better said would probably be "what do I feel like arguing about now?"

Or even better - "what can I start a thread on that will enable me to argue both sides?"

Look at the number of posts he has, maybe some boredom issues. I would bet you that he was captian of his debate team.

Look at the number of posts he has, maybe some boredom issues. I would bet you that he was captian of his debate team.

I thought a forum was place to post questions and have debate over issues...is it not? Is this not a fair question to ask becuase at some point someone is going to replace Peyton...

I thought a forum was place to post questions and have debate over issues...is it not? Is this not a fair question to ask becuase at some point someone is going to replace Peyton...

When you post these questions, do you debate the answers with yourself?

Those will be pretty big shoes to fill as most of us know. It will be done someday but nobody knows who or when at this time.

As good as Montana was, I think the 49'ers success had more to do with Bill Walsh's coaching. Even Elvis Grbac had success with the Niners when Young was out with injuries. The way Walsh used FBs like Craig and Rathman was magic. I didn't like Walsh, but I have to give him credit for implementing the West Coast Offense so successfully.